skoda superb all models

was behind my superb the other day in my truck on way back from halfords picking up daughters birthday present.....and i was thinking the rear side lights arent exactly elegant being right at the bottom of the light housing.

and i was thinking as i usually do, when it comes to making the superb slightly different, was it possible to utilize some wiring from the bottom sidelight...and connect it to the top brakeight and incorporate two rear red side lights with the brake light coming on at the usual top section like it does on the new octavia models

has anyone tried this? would,be interesting to see what it would look like.i quite liked the intensity on the rear brake lights coming on.....but when brakes went off it went back to the normal singular sidelights which i think could do with some improvements...especially on wet evenings

was behind my superb the other day in my truck on way back from halfords picking up daughters birthday present.....and i was thinking the rear side lights arent exactly elegant being right at the bottom of the light housing.

and i was thinking as i usually do, when it comes to making the superb slightly different, was it possible to utilize some wiring from the bottom sidelight...and connect it to the top brakeight and incorporate two rear red side lights with the brake light coming on at the usual top section like it does on the new octavia models

has anyone tried this? would,be interesting to see what it would look like.i quite liked the intensity on the rear brake lights coming on.....but when brakes went off it went back to the normal singular sidelights which i think could do with some improvements...especially on wet evenings

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing - although in honesty I think it'll be easier to make the top cluster take a 380 instead of a 382, as opposed to the LED option.

This is another one of things I'll be trying as/when I get time, and of course when I can get a set of rears from a facelift.

Anyone who tries it though, post away :thumbup:

EDIT: Would this perhaps be similar to the "Fabia 5 brake light mod"?

Edited by Bluefox
Just remembered something!

I would assume because you're fitting wiring/LED's that aren't E-marked, right? Or is there something else that would make it illegal?

Modifying any lamp away from it's orignial approval markings will render it illegal, also the geometry on the reflector for the tail and stop is completly different so light will be going everywhere it shouldn't be if modified.............:thumbdwn:

However, modifying happens and I am just the same but it always makes me wonder why 'we' bother spending £1000's on testing and approval when in reality the end user changes it for something else.........:(

I will get back to my CAD tube now..........:o

I will get back to my CAD tube now..........:o

You do that.

You're one of these people that write in to Wogan on Radio 2 in the mornings, aren't you, Mr Hella Goode*.

Seriously though, I know you're right but that doesn't stop people modding. It's odd to speak of things in terms of "how illigal" they are, but I think this is one of those - there's bigger fish to fry and all that. Of course, doesn't stop it being illegal.

That said of course, wonder if the average bobby would be able to tell if a subtly modded rear lamp would technically be illigal - and as for E-markings, I've run non E-marked sidelamps for two years and I've passed two MOT's.

* This will perhaps only mean anything to those who know Baker and listen to Terry Wogan in the morning on R2. Which is probably only me. Boo. Still, it made me laugh :o

You do that.

You're one of these people that write in to Wogan on Radio 2 in the mornings, aren't you, Mr Hella Goode*.

Seriously though, I know you're right but that doesn't stop people modding. It's odd to speak of things in terms of "how illigal" they are, but I think this is one of those - there's bigger fish to fry and all that. Of course, doesn't stop it being illegal.

That said of course, wonder if the average bobby would be able to tell if a subtly modded rear lamp would technically be illigal - and as for E-markings, I've run non E-marked sidelamps for two years and I've passed two MOT's.

* This will perhaps only mean anything to those who know Baker and listen to Terry Wogan in the morning on R2. Which is probably only me. Boo. Still, it made me laugh :o

Just to confirm any rumours, I listen to Radio Five Live...........:D

quite an interesting debate......i wasnt thinking of led lights or clusters......just seeing if it was feasable to make the top brakelight contain a bulb whereby it has the brightness of a side light and the intensity of brake light when applied.........surely that cant be illegal

forgot to add.......it would be removing the singular bulb and replacing it with a twin element bulb used for the lower ones for side lights and fog........though i did do the modification to light up the left hand fog light, as it wasnt wired up

quite an interesting debate......i wasnt thinking of led lights or clusters......just seeing if it was feasable to make the top brakelight contain a bulb whereby it has the brightness of a side light and the intensity of brake light when applied.........surely that cant be illegal

I think Baker's point is that modifying a "type approved" lamp - anyway - would technically make it illegal.

Although pressed plates/HID conversion kits/NOX injection kits/cat bypasses are all technically illegal on the roads, so...

You pays your money you makes your choice.