Knocking noise from inside the dash!!!!!help!!

Can anybody shed some light on the strange nocking typr noise which is coming from the passenger side dash. its intermittent but very frustrating. im driving the octavia vrs 01 ... have been told but garage it may be an electrical issue with a relay... which i think is rubbish and iv also been told by someone this is a common problem and its to do with the fuel lines which run there. it does usually happen when its cold but not always, only way to describe is it is like the noise your indicators make just slowed down alot and deeper sounding!!

any one with any ideas would be greatly appricated :)

on the climtronic the press the recurlation button and see if the noise changes if so the little motor gears has gone

i know mine was gone when i brought the car from london and drove it to birmingham anoyying got back home and un plugged it

Edited by 4x4mark

Hi thanks for your replys guys... i hit the recirc button on the climtronic and almost straight away the noise had returned little quiter but lots more frequent... hit it again and it was intermitent at best again so im guessing you guys are spot on with the gears or motor.. is this gonna effect its performance massivly or just annoy me until i take it to the dealer?

The only thing it may affect is getting fresh air into the car if it locks closed, and the windows steaming up as a result- it's annoying but not critical. Be aware that the replacement is very expensive once you take the work into account, but I gather some people here have tackled it before and might be willing to help in return for.. something or another, best ask them :)