2.0 tdi pd elegance 5dr 6 speed

Jai

Hi this is my first post so hello and the forum looks an excellent resource.

I've been out to view a 2005 55 Reg SKODA OCTAVIA 2.0 TDI PD ELEGANCE 5DR 6 SPEED and it seems very good.

However some people have said that this model has had some problems and I would be better off with the 1.9 version.

From what I have read the 2.0 & 1.9 offer the same levels of economy and CO2 emmisions.

Your thoughts on the 2.0 & 1.9 would be appreciated please.

Thanks.

Hi this is my first post so hello and the forum looks an excellent resource.

I've been out to view a 2005 55 Reg SKODA OCTAVIA 2.0 TDI PD ELEGANCE 5DR 6 SPEED and it seems very good.

However some people have said that this model has had some problems and I would be better off with the 1.9 version.

From what I have read the 2.0 & 1.9 offer the same levels of economy and CO2 emmisions.

Your thoughts on the 2.0 & 1.9 would be appreciated please.

Thanks.

Well, I just p-exd my 1.9 Octy Elegance hatch 130 for a PD 140 with DSG. I don't know if it's the same basic engine bored out or a completely different animal. What I can say is that the 1.9 was a whole world apart on the economy stakes. The performance would be about the same but I could easily achieve 60mpg on a run in the 1.9 with a light throttle. Stick a gallon in my current car and I would have to push it the last 15miles or more!!! There have been a few comments on here about porous heads and blown turbos on the pd140 - I don't know if these comments apply in equal measure to the 1.9- if not, I wouldn't even think about it - get a 1.9!! If these issues are not model specific, with the exception of economy where the 1.9 excels, I would just but the best car for the money whichever engine it happens to have!

1.9tdi on Octavia 2 is 105 bhp was either90, 110 or 130 on Mk1.

New Golf is 110 hp(CR?) so that may filter through in time.

If you're not happy with buying 2.0 why not get the 1.9 chipped/remapped?

Turbos seem to be suspect on the early 2.0 - even Skoda's Customer Service dept acknowledge it (in their round-about way!).

Mine gave up at just over 100k but others have had to be replaced with as little as 20k on the clock.

If you hear a noise like police car's siren when you take it for a test run, then steer clear or be prepared to pay £1200 for a replacement turbo.

Turbos seem to be suspect on the early 2.0 - even Skoda's Customer Service dept acknowledge it (in their round-about way!).

Mine gave up at just over 100k but others have had to be replaced with as little as 20k on the clock.

If you hear a noise like police car's siren when you take it for a test run, then steer clear or be prepared to pay £1200 for a replacement turbo.

Same is happening on the 1.9s though from what I've heard, so I'd just say people need to change oil more often.

Well, I just p-exd my 1.9 Octy Elegance hatch 130 for a PD 140 with DSG. I don't know if it's the same basic engine bored out or a completely different animal.

It's rather different. 16v for a start.

Mine has made a noise like a police car siren for more than 50K miles, so that in itself is no reason to suspect a turbo is failing.

I drove both and went for the 2.0.

The main differences in the 2.0 are,

2.0 is a 16V engine, 1.9 is an 8V unit

2.0 has six speed box, 1.9 has a five speed.

2.0 is 140BHP and 1.9 is 105BHP.

After driving the 2.0 you will find the 1.9 slow in comparison.

The extra gear of the 2.0 gives you nice quiet motorway cruising, at motorway speeds the 1.9 can be quiet noisy.

Mine 2.0 is now on 67K miles, is an ex. Alamo car rental vehicle and is still totally original, bar a cheap temp sensor which failed 12 months ago.

All really depends what you want...

The 1.9 is very economical, and is not much slower. It can reach high speeds reasonably quick and is good on the motorway and is more than comfortable sitting at 100mph. I used to get 60+mpg if I drove it economically, and 50+ if I didn't.

I still chose the 2.0 for myself tho, as I think the fun factor is definitely worth the extra money. And overtaking and the pull at the higher end is soo much easier. However compared to the 1.9 the fuel economy sucks! I know the earlier 2.0 were very good, but its seems the newer ones don't seem to be that good. I tend to get around 40mpg no matter how I drive!

But it all depends on what you want, test drive both and see for yourself!

However compared to the 1.9 the fuel economy sucks! I know the earlier 2.0 were very good, but its seems the newer ones don't seem to be that good. I tend to get around 40mpg no matter how I drive!

You maybe right, now my 2.0 has loosened up it regularly returns mid to high 50s MPG on my daily commute which is a mix of motorway and town driving (35 miles each way).

In the 6,803 miles I've put on my October 2006 2.0TDI 6 speed since I bought it I have managed 49.7MPG. That includes all driving in the 10 months I've had it. On the Motorway I regularly see mid 50's when I keep it under 80, but never any higher then that.

One of my colleagues at work has a 55 Registered Golf 2.0TDI DSG and much to my annoyance he claims high 50's to low 60's. However he uses the trip computer to provide that figure, I calculate my MPG by filling the tank and recording millage between fill ups.

It's considerably better my old Audi A6 1.8T, but reading some of the threads here it seems the 1.9TDI easily achieves better figures.