Changing reverse sensors?

bryanp

I have started to get the long beep when the reverse sensors switch on, from most of the posts I have read it usually points to a dodgy sensor, I have managed to get my hands on a new sensor for a good price and was planning on doing the "process of ilimination" technique to find the faulty sensor, Does anyone know if this will work straight off or will I as I suspect have to take the car to the Stealers to have the system calibrated to the new sensor?

Cheers.

It should work straight off, you dont really even need to take the bumper off...

If you get a bit of old carpet or something under the back bumper, lie on your back and reach up behind the bumper they're really easy to get at. I'll post a picture later of how they mesh into the clip on the bumper.

Be careful with the plastic retaining clips, they break easily if you try and Gorilla it!

It should work straight off, you dont really even need to take the bumper off...

If you get a bit of old carpet or something under the back bumper, lie on your back and reach up behind the bumper they're really easy to get at. I'll post a picture later of how they mesh into the clip on the bumper.

Be careful with the plastic retaining clips, they break easily if you try and Gorilla it!

Cheers Mate, Had a look also myself and realised there was no need to remove the bumper like the stealers claim, I have a tubular Westfalia towbar and that doesnt take up as much space as the old bumper steel, so even better access.

Any hints on how to remove the sensors will be great though as one is a bit loose where it looks like its been "Gorilla'd" before, looking at the sensor I can see 2 notches for clips but there hard to see up in the bumper, so again any hints will very much appreciated.

Thanks

Any chance of knowing where you got the cheap sensor? I need one. £80 I have been quoted!! please PM me if you can help.

Got it of e-bay, search vw parking sensor last week and found 2, both had right part number and looked exactly the same, both quoted as new, 1 was on auction at about £5 and the other was amazingly on a "buy it now" for £5.99 plus £1.50 delivery, at that price had nothing to loose but buy it just to try, Not got it yet but fingers crossed.

According to a post I found on this site the part number on the sensor is 3U0 919 275 B, the one I got was for a passat and 90% of the part number was the same and looks identical, so like I said for £7.50 thought is is worth a shot!

Thanks for the part number.

I had a look under the bumper and things look different for me. I can only get to one of the sensors from below, there are just too many obstructions to get to the other sensors.

Off to find my Torx bits....