4X4 in the snow

I'm in Plymouth. Despite hundreds of cars snowbound on the A38 outside Exeter the night before last, and reports of 2 feet snowdrifts in Okehampton, we haven't had even a speck of the stuff. We've been told to keep away from Dartmoor, where some roads are still closed, but I'll be out playing up there tomorrow with my Octavia 4x4. What's the point of having one otherwise?

Brian

BUT don't forget: you may have the advantage going up hills and getting out of drifts but when it comes to going down hill and stopping you are in the same deep $h1t as the rest of us

To some extent you're right, but I think you're overlooking the fact that the 4x4 variants (and for that matter 4x4 vehicles in general) are probably using tyres that are slightly more suitable for use in wet/snow conditions.

Guest Fabia 12v

Have to say was very impressed when I borrowed mum's Octavia Mk1 4x4 on monday evening... it felt even more stable than the Touareg I had borrowed from work because of the snow... think mainly because Touareg was running tyres @ legal limit and Octy has 4 brand new contis all round. This was also proberbally the first and only time i've ever managed to get the ESP warning light to flash on the Octy as well to say it was doing something 9/10 times even in awful rain it just trudges on with out even a blink of a light.

To some extent you're right, but I think you're overlooking the fact that the 4x4 variants (and for that matter 4x4 vehicles in general) are probably using tyres that are slightly more suitable for use in wet/snow conditions.

i would say that very very very nearly all 4x4 versions of regular road cars in the UK run run of the mill tyres no different to those on FWD/RWD versions. no idea on "proper" 4x4's though.

Mine-s been to up to 1800 meters altitude on unpaved roads and such, but I do have the right tires. 2wd as well. I could only imagine the Scout and 4x4 estate as more than adequately capable in the same conditions, nevertheless tarmac roads, so it must be down to the tires.

i would say that very very very nearly all 4x4 versions of regular road cars in the UK run run of the mill tyres no different to those on FWD/RWD versions. no idea on "proper" 4x4's though.

I tried to investigate this on a seperate thread recently, the 4x4 variants did appear to use different tyres, but the sample was so small I wouldn't say that any conclusions could be drawn from it... I certainly couldn't say with confidence that the different tyres on the 4x4s were selected for performance reasons rather than cost/they were available at the time!

When it comes to "proper" 4x4s, even soft-roaders, I think they do tend to use slightly more winter-worthy tyres. Not out+out mud plugging tyres, but definately leaning more towards wet/winter conditions than your average 2WD car.

Another thing that might be worth bearing in mind; when a 4x4 (Octavia?) driver comes to change tyres from OEM, they might be more inclined to fit wet summer/all season/winter tyres than a typical 2WD (Octavia?) driver?

BUT don't forget: you may have the advantage going up hills and getting out of drifts but when it comes to going down hill and stopping you are in the same deep $h1t as the rest of us):)

Agree 100%.

This is my 15th 4x4 estate / hatch / saloon and I've rarely had any problems with traction or going up hills. (Although my first (mk1) 4x4 Octavia was a nightmare once -suspect haldex problems).

Most of the moments I've had have been at less than 25mph going downhill or under braking at very low speed.

I had to rescue the Scout (the Autosocks were in the boot) in the Alps by pulling on the handbrake to stop it sliding any far further forward or faster (at 15/20mph).

I also had a major moment in a Celica GT4 when it just slid and slid at literally walking pace.