VRS DSG and flappy paddle steering wheel

Has anyone got an Octavia DSG with the optional flappy paddle steering wheel, and, if so, does it add to the driving enjoyment over and above the DSG box itself ?

The only reason I ask is that Skodateile.cz have a flappy paddle wheel for 142.31 Eu, the airbag for 188.46 Eu, and the Multifunction cable for 23.85 Eu.

Seems a good price if it can all be retro-fitted easily to integrate with the DSG box.

Can anyone foresee any problems in the possibility of retro-fitting.

As you can see from my other posts I'm quite keen on upping the standard spec.

On my Golf I have DSG and flappy paddles.

When you are in the mood they do add to the fun. I think its a little strange pulling and pushing the gear lever to go up and down.

If that equates to 350Euros worth I can't really say.

in my new Octavia 1.8tsi dsg i have ordered them however with all dsg i have driven I did not use them often! i prefer the manual changes through the stick....

i also find it difficult when your turn the steering wheel to change gears with the flappy paddles...

i could live without them but car looks 'sexier' if you know what i mean, when you will try to sell it afterwards...

i could live without them but car looks 'sexier' if you know what i mean, when you will try to sell it afterwards...

And also you'll get the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel.

I would presume that the only real benefit from the flappy pedals for the DSG come when you're overtaking someone and the DSG doesn't make the kickdown fast enough. As you know the DSG is a bit slow to change down two or three gears.

• 6 months later...

I have just taken delivery of a VRS with DSG and paddles. It certainly adds to the driving experience especially as someone else said when you want to over take you can down shift quickly. Wheather its worth 350 EUR thats up to you, but i think it enhances the driving exprience.

If im using the paddles in my Passat I'll knock the shifter across into tip-tronic mode, stops it going back into auto mode and if im coming to a corner when id struggle to grab a paddle, just give the shifter a nudge back or forth

Not sure if its worth the money, mine came on the car, nice thing to have but dont think id part with that much cash now i've had it

Have to say I've done a couple of trips recently and had more of a dabble changing gear 'manually' and it's pretty good. Saves the box getting caught when braking downhill.

• 1 year later...

I find mine useful when I want to make more progress. Takes the guesswork out of what will happen next and as mentioned you don't need to slip into manual either. Downside of the paddles is they are a bit small and fixed to the wheel so you have to get used to where they are when negotiating tight curves and wanting to use them. They are paddles I guess, you pull the right one towards you to change up and the left one to change down.

And you get more buttons to play with of course, must be worth it.

Edited by TsvRS

I find mine useful when I want to make more progress. Takes the guesswork out of what will happen next and as mentioned you don't need to slip into manual either. Downside of the paddles is they are a bit small and fixed to the wheel so you have to get used to where they are when negotiating tight curves and wanting to use them. They are paddles I guess, you pull the right one towards you to change up and the left one to change down.

And you get more buttons to play with of course, must be worth it.

Thanks. According to the owners manual they are rocker switches on the top of the horizontal part of the steering wheel. Paddles sound perfect to me.

Mike

Thanks. According to the owners manual they are rocker switches on the top of the horizontal part of the steering wheel. Paddles sound perfect to me.

Mike

Well I guess they might have changed the design? My car arrived last year.