05 Fabia vrs remapped without knowing

Considering this is the first one the guy has drove. You mean to say that if he had not had it dyno'd and he had to claim, he would have no arguement when the insurance company dont pay out for his, as far as he was concerned, standard car?

IMHO, if the owner had not had the car dyno'd and needed to claim from his Insurers he could reasonably argue that he was unaware the car had been remapped prior to his ownership.

As it stands, I agree that the car should either be returned to standard, at the dealers expense, or Insurers should be informed of the remap and the additional premium be paid by the owner. If the dealer refuses to return the car to standard, then the owner could ask them to pay the additional insurance premium.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this is the first one the guy has drove. You mean to say that if he had not had it dyno'd and he had to claim, he would have no arguement when the insurance company dont pay out for his, as far as he was concerned, standard car?

Put yourself in the insurance company's shoes, how many times would they have heard that one before? (Just playing devils advocate)

Probably hear it every day. But as soon as they contact the dealer and find out they advertised it as standard then the buyer is not at fault.

So then the insurance company assume the owner had it mapped afterwards and didn't declare it, so is now trying to pass the blame.

As the owner has the most to lose in this scenario it really is in your own best interest to make sure any mods are declared or removed so you have up held your end of the agreement with the insurance company.

Edited by Blade404

Bit of a nightmare really, having read this thread fully. I cannot confirm whether my car is chipped or not. I realise that is no excuse. However I considered I was buying nothing other than a standard car albeit de-badged from a skoda dealer.

The penny has since dropped that when I went to pick the car up that salesperson stated that the tech nearly took the front discs off for his own car, supposedly to put standard breaks back on.

There may be other things that a modded vRS owner may be able to spot that I cannot.

Might have a chat with the dealer.

Then I'm gonna have to fess up to Swin(dlers)tons.

If it's on the stock clutch, the funky noise is probably the dual mass flywheel moaning a bit! I would either:

a) take it back to the dealer and ask them to flash it back to standard (if they can?) - i.e moan that it was chipped without your prior consent / knowledge

B) get an uprated clutch, add the "ecu flash / tuneup" clause to your insurers/pay any extra, and just enjoy the car. 187 horses is a fair amount from just a remap though so I would be curious to know what else has been done too.

185bhp from a remap is possible but it will eat the clutch unless you uprate it. as well as just the mapping the egr is disabled. i have seen a print out from an ibiza fr with these figures just with the map

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengie

how much difference did it make to your insurance?

£1000

When we had one Superchipped (wife's car) it only increased the insurance from about £195/ year to about £220

Had the remap removed due to problems.