Superb II NO window wiper

HI ALl I've just been watching the video review by honest John of the new superb. (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/lib/img_draw.php?image=/home/www/honestjohn.co.uk/html/uploads/roadtestimgs/348_1.jpg&lim_width=140)

He makes a valid point that without the rear wiper the screen can gather moisture. I was just wondering if any of you owners out there find this a problem

It is a valid point but i personally think wipers dont look right on saloon cars , i think its nothing that Rain X would sort anyhow

I have a rear wipe on my Skyline but have only used it a handful of times, could easily live without it

I was looking at the new Octavia at the showroom today as I waited for some repairs on my Superb and have to think that the rear wiper on that doesn't look at of place and I wish it was on mine. Though the heating element works fine and clears it quickly enough.

I miss the rear wiper - what happens when you need to reverse out of a space in the car park in the snow, rain etc. Likewise when you want to reverse into a space, as you really should, the heater is not good enough to clear the water off, especially if the roads are dirty like they were the other week with the salt. When you put the heater on you bake the salt on and make it worse.

No I am for a rear wiper - I think the twin door mechanisim would make it quite difficult so thats why it s not there

brian

I never look through the back window to reverse , i might give it a glance to make sure its clear but the rear window is too small and too high to give a proper view imo

Far better to learn to reverse off the wing mirrors imo

Looking at the video of the honest john report the weather looked pretty lousy that day but even then i think a good coat of Rain X would be sufficient to keep the rear screen clear enough to see traffic behind you

I use the door mirrors and the parking sensors. Lorry drivers manage to reverse a 4o ft lorry without a rear view mirror so I am sure I can manage a superb !!

I am also used to towing where I cant use the rear view so I guess I am used to it.

Thanks for the replies. My cocern is more based on clarity of vision whilst checking behind on the motorway. I think the rain X is good solution to this. The comment on the snow made be laugh as with all the recent snow my avensis wiper couldn't budge the snow so I had to get our and clear it.

I agree they couldn't have mounted the wiper at the lower part of the window, but they could have done it at the top of the window so it sweepes in a U shape. Range Rover do this with the spilt rear doors. Have a look next time you see one, it's quite clever as they've hidden it behind the rear window spoiler.

I still think Skoda are onto a winner with this twin door as so many manufactures are dropping hatchbacks.

To be honest my experience with the Superb wipers and snow wasnt that good;)

I had an overnight test of one when the recent bad weather hit and when i finally went to give it back the snow had became packed under the wiper , although i pulled out what i could the auto wiper was unable to park and slipped on its thread i dont know if it was loose but this meant the next sweep of the wiper pushed the wiper clear over the windscreen post!!!!

I managed to realign the wiper by hand and it was ok and i told the dealer when i got back

So top tip , make sure you turn off the auto wiper in case of frost or snow!!!

I understand the points made above ref wipers and rear screens and not using your mirror, I often drive a large van so I dont get an inside rear mirror, but I do get mirrors about 4 times the size of the Superb so I can see whats happening.

The point about the carpark is that someone (child etc), could stand behind you and you might not see it - you could argue the same for the truck. However, most truck stops are designed to allow HGVs etc to drive through without reversing - does this tell you something.

In the construcyion industry, one of the most common injuries on site is caused by reversing vehicles reversing over people on site - and they have yellow jackets on!!

Not trying to make a point or anything like that, just thought you might be interested to know that statistic.

Brian

I use RainX on the Vectra, which has a back window of a similar angel to the Superb II. I think I've used the rear wiper once since the RainX went on, and that was to move the aftermatch of a Starling attack while sitting in traffic on a bridge.

• 2 months later...
still think they missed a trick by not fititng a reversing camera onto the elegance. I would have paid extra for it.

you still can should be an easy retrofit

FWIW I've been using this stuff on the windows for a while now its excellent , bit like rain X but better imo , i certainly dont need a wiper but the screen is pretty small to give a good view when reversing so i dont use it anyhow

Carlack - Glass Sealing Kit

I drove yesterday for about 250 km on a motorway,and it was raining heavily.I had no problem at all with the rear window.I stopped the car for about 10 minutes,and when I started again I just used the rear window heating button+mirrors heating and I had no real problem with visibility.It took only 2 minutes to clear the water.Regarding reverse,I preffer not to use the rear window because it gives no visibility.I'm using the OPS and the lateral mirrors.

My passat doesn't have a rear wiper either, only time I miss it is first thing in the morning when there's a lot of moisture sat on the rear screen

only take me 2 mins to get to the motorway so it hasnt cleared by the time im pulling across to the outside lane, another couple more minutes on the motorway and its clear

If I was that bothered, id run the squeegy across it in a morning