Slow warm up?

Evnin all

500 miles into my shiny new Octy 2.0DSG, still got an ear to ear grin such a nice drive! Last motor 1.9TDi took around 5 miles or ten minutes to hit running temp. The new one takes 10 to 12 miles and nearer to 15 minutes. Last week with a -3 it only just got warm by the time I got to work 30 min journey. Is this normal? Has anyone used this gunk that is supposed aid warming quicker? It was recommended by Quentin Wilson in the Mirror several months ago (Suffering from early onset alzheimers this week and cant remember what its called.)

TIA folks

Putting additives in the coolant, fuel or oil will most likely invalidate the warranty, WV frown heavily on such things. The only thing that should be going in is the approved G12 pink coolant.

My manual TDI usually takes about 8-10 miles to warm up but this will vary depending on speed, type of road, number of hills etc etc.

Don't forget the heating system is pulling loads of heat from the coolant system while its warming up on cold mornings, this will make warming up the engine even slower.

Evnin all

500 miles into my shiny new Octy 2.0DSG, still got an ear to ear grin such a nice drive! Last motor 1.9TDi took around 5 miles or ten minutes to hit running temp. The new one takes 10 to 12 miles and nearer to 15 minutes. Last week with a -3 it only just got warm by the time I got to work 30 min journey. Is this normal? Has anyone used this gunk that is supposed aid warming quicker? It was recommended by Quentin Wilson in the Mirror several months ago (Suffering from early onset alzheimers this week and cant remember what its called.)

TIA folks

My 57 plate 1.9 TDI DSG is the same, takes 30 mins (15 mile) of town driving to get to normal running temp. Thats the down side of an efficient engine :thumbup:

Ye mine takes a while to heat up in my 1.9TDI. I don't like stopping the engine when I arrive at my destination and the car hasn't warmed up to normal temp, bad for the engine :(

Ye mine takes a while to heat up in my 1.9TDI. I don't like stopping the engine when I arrive at my destination and the car hasn't warmed up to normal temp, bad for the engine :(

I'm not sure exactly what harm comes to an engine, although I understand that not reaching operating temp isn't a good thing...

Is not reaching operating temp a typical drive for you, or now and again? If it's typical, might you not have been better off with a petrol model?

other possibility is to install a Webasto heater (Webasto England). I have it on my Octy 1.9TDI and it works great.

Benefits:

· Warmth and comfort of a pre-heated interior

· Pre-Heated engine - no more cold starts

· Reduced Engine Wear

· Defrosted and Demisted Windscreens - No more scraping ice!

· Reduced Engine Start Up Emissions

I'm not sure exactly what harm comes to an engine, although I understand that not reaching operating temp isn't a good thing...

Is not reaching operating temp a typical drive for you, or now and again? If it's typical, might you not have been better off with a petrol model?

I always make sure it is warmed up before stopping the engine :)

Dont fancy a petrol engine when im doing over 1000 Miles a month :P

Steve

I always make sure it is warmed up before stopping the engine :)

Dont fancy a petrol engine when im doing over 1000 Miles a month :P

Steve

Isn't received wisdom that, in order to balance out the extra cost of buying a diesel and the extra cost of the fuel itself, you are actually better off with a petrol UNLESS you're doing more than 12-15k per year? Sounds like you're right on the brink of breaking even if you're doing 1000 miles a month.Might not be so shockingly expensive as you think to have a petrol...

Isn't received wisdom that, in order to balance out the extra cost of buying a diesel and the extra cost of the fuel itself, you are actually better off with a petrol UNLESS you're doing more than 12-15k per year? Sounds like you're right on the brink of breaking even if you're doing 1000 miles a month.Might not be so shockingly expensive as you think to have a petrol...

For me to insure a 1.8T or a 2.0TFSI it would cost me alot more than my current 1.9 TDI, a 1.6 petrol costs around £1500 to insure at 19 for me :(

EDIT: At the moment im pulling 60mpg on motorways and mid to high 40s around town. I get all my money back anyway through the business at 40p per mile.

Edited by sjm

How much did this cost?

other possibility is to install a Webasto heater (Webasto England). I have it on my Octy 1.9TDI and it works great.

Benefits:

· Warmth and comfort of a pre-heated interior

· Pre-Heated engine - no more cold starts

· Reduced Engine Wear

· Defrosted and Demisted Windscreens - No more scraping ice!

· Reduced Engine Start Up Emissions

It takes ages as a diesel engine is very thermal efficient.

Compared to a petrol engine more of the heat produced in the combustion is used in making energy or power where as a petrol its wasted into the cooling system which then heats up.

Putting the climate Control to "Recirculate" for 5mins or so helps the inside to warm up quicker on a cold morning. In normal mode the cold incoming air barely gets any warmth into it as the engine is so slow to warm up.