steering wheel /Maxidot trip computer

If I order "3 spoke multi-function steering wheel for radio, Maxi-dot and paddle shift (DSG only)" with an Elegance Octavia, does that option include the Maxi-dot or must that be ordered separately for an extra £125?

Anyone ordered one or know the answer?

Skoda UK website configurator doesn't even mention this steering wheel. (and they're not replying to my emails).

Not 100% sure on this one. You would be best speaking to your local Skoda dealer.

The Skoda website configurator leaves alot to be desired if you ask me.

Either way, make sure it has the maxi dot, its worth its weight in gold.

Either way, make sure it has the maxi dot, its worth its weight in gold.

Really? - can't weigh very much then! :):)

My standard dash Elegance is in the body shop at the moment and I have an Ambient courtesy car with maxidot and multifunction steering wheel.

I will dismiss the multifuction steering wheel pretty quickly! It's rubbish! The buttons are badly placed so the upper ones are over the curve of the wheel and do not fall to hand. The lower ones are too close to the rim of the wheel and I constantly catch them when manoeuvring. The radio is positioned really well to hand in the Octy II- you really don't need the buttons on the steering wheel

I have been REALLY tempted by the group buys to get a Maxidot for mine but quite frankly I'm now very glad I didn't waste my money!

OK - it looks very pretty and it has lots of functions but after playing with the setup for the 1st day or 2 I now have it set pretty much as standard except that I have turned off the double mirror adjust - but as I'm the only one who drives it, I can't remember the last time I adjusted my side mirrors!.

What is the point of the audio display? Quick look to the left tells me I am listening to radio 4 or track 4 of the CD! I suppose if you have in built sat-nav and other goodies it may be useful to have the display in the dash but in the standard car it's a waste of time. I doesn't even show the track info from the mp3 CD in the Stream.

I find the display too bright at night and, as someone else pointed out in another thread, the dispaly can only be set to off while stationary. Especially annoying (at night) is the way the low fuel warning constantly switches between warning light and time.

The max speed warning? What's the point? Does it integrate with the cruise control (like Mercedes) and stop you going over the set speed? The Ambient doesn't have cruise so I can't tell.

Now here's a funny one! Quite often I get out of the office at lunch time and drive out a few miles into the Dales and have my sandwich in the car. In my car the clock is visible all the time so I can see when I need to be heading back. With Maxidot the display switches off after a few minutes, even with the key in the ignition and the radio on. Oh, and for some reason Skoda choose to remove the time display from the Stream when the engine is off.

So! My brush with the stone gatepost (it moved honest!) may have cost me £100 insurance excess but it's saved me £250(?) on an after-fit Maxidot plus 400 miles or so wear and tear on my car.

Thanks gatepost!

I had an Octavia ambiente while my turbo was being replaced :rolleyes:

It was mssing the multifunction steering wheel (fancy name for 8 buttons i'll admit!) as well as the maxidot and it was really pi$sing me off.

The volume and mute buttons on the steering wheel are invaluable. The maxidot not only adds tons of extra functionality to the car but also adds a quality look to the dash.

The maxidot on the facelift Octavia has loads more options in it than before, right down to adjusting the pitch and volume of the PDC beeps - only available to VCDS users until now.

Still well worth the money IMO.

If I order "3 spoke multi-function steering wheel for radio, Maxi-dot and paddle shift (DSG only)" with an Elegance Octavia, does that option include the Maxi-dot or must that be ordered separately for an extra £125?

Anyone ordered one or know the answer?

Skoda UK website configurator doesn't even mention this steering wheel. (and they're not replying to my emails).

I queried exactly the same thing when I placed my order and the dealer, who (surprise, surprise) was also unsure, rang Skoda UK there and then and it was confirmed that maxi-dot was included with the M.F. steering wheel. Just hope Skoda UK are accurate with this since retro fitting is a no no!!

Really? - can't weigh very much then! :):)

My standard dash Elegance is in the body shop at the moment and I have an Ambient courtesy car with maxidot and multifunction steering wheel.

I will dismiss the multifuction steering wheel pretty quickly! It's rubbish! The buttons are badly placed so the upper ones are over the curve of the wheel and do not fall to hand. The lower ones are too close to the rim of the wheel and I constantly catch them when manoeuvring. The radio is positioned really well to hand in the Octy II- you really don't need the buttons on the steering wheel

There is a new range of steering wheels for the facelift - 4 spoke multi functional on the manual and 3 spoke multi functional on the DSG which includes paddle shifts. Not sure if they have addressed the button positions?

I think MaxiDot is standard with DSG - To display the gears.

That does make sense until you view the Skoda UK website . It shows it as a £125 option on the DSG's in S, SE and Elegance trims but standard on L & K's and vRS's

Just hope they are correct in saying the multi function wheel includes it! Appears to be a distinct lack of clarification all round. The sales brochure tells us the 1.4 TSI DSG is a 6 speed when we know for certain it is a 7 speed. Also the other somewhat grey area of standard fit Hill Hold and ESP with the 7 speeder.

Shows you cannot believe all you read.

I think MaxiDot is standard with DSG - To display the gears.

I had a 55 plate Elegance with DSG and that didn't have maxidot, but it did display the gear positions.

mac

The answer to my question is that the multi-function steering wheel packages all include Maxi-dot.

Getting Skoda customer services to confirm that is a different matter.

Yesterday I phoned twice. First I was told it wasn't included, so I asked them to email me so I had that in writing. No email appeared so I phoned back to confirm, and was told (by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about), that Maxi-dot was included with the multifunction wheels.

So frustrating, but I suppose that's what you get when they try to resolve ambiguities in the brochure by reading the brochure back at you...

When I ordered I just made a point of having Maxidot mentioned on the order form.

And I accept that both the multifunction wheel and Maxidot are silly toys to an extent, but it's nice to have a few of those in your life. I have definite luddite tendencies - I don't even have a mobile phone - but gadgets are good fun sometimes.

• 2 months later...

Can confirm that the MF steering wheel includes the Maxidot. However, my car does not have the normal controls for it on the wiper stalk - only via the steering wheel buttons.

Do the paddle shifters come with the MFSW when specced with DSG on a VRS ?

Not sure since the vRS would have the 6 speed DSG. They certainly do on the 1.4 and 1.8 TSi which both have the 7 speed DSG version.

I've got an Elegance DSG and it only has the 'normal' display, not Maxidot

I assume you do not have the multi function steering wheel, since Maxidot is standard fit with that. As I posted earlier, my Maxidot can only be accessed from the steering wheel buttons, there are no switches on the wiper stalk..