Removed Side Strips on One Side!

I'm still toying with the idea of taking mine off but after reading on here that some people have found the paint behind not looking too clever, I'm stuck and don't know what to do!... :confused:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm decisions, decisions!...:)

It took me about 3/4 of an hour to do mine, start to finish :D Used an old credit card to lift a corner, then simply pulled at an angle which seemed to make the foam pad and glue peel away from the body. The residue I got off with WD40. My paint had bubbled underneath, but I convinced my dealer to respray it under warranty :cool:

FabS_032.jpgFabS_027.jpg

Bubbles....

Fab_Rust.jpg

3hrs?

i had mine off in 15mins with a heatgun then used tar and glue remover to get rid of the glue residue :D

Took me about 10 mins to take the strips off with wire but then I just could get the glue off.

Looks good!

Been planning on doing mine for awhile now! So what exactly did you do once you'd "cut" the strip off with fishing line?

I used a pressure washer and then penatrating oil and a credit card.

I'm still toying with the idea of taking mine off but after reading on here that some people have found the paint behind not looking too clever, I'm stuck and don't know what to do!... :confused:

Mmmmmmmmmmmm decisions, decisions!...:)

There was a bit of paint that was not too good but it is smaller than a pea so you can't tell.

Planning on doing the other side?

Or is the one side 'smooth' look going to be the 2009 'thing'?

The side you've done looks good BTW

Yes i'm going to do the other side and it shouldn't take as long as I know what i'm doing now.

I think i'm just going to pull it off either slowly or with a hairdryer as everyone is saying most of the glue came off with it when they did it that way.

When i used fishing wire most of the glue was still on the car.

Bubbles....

Fab_Rust.jpg

Well I think that's made my mind up... They're staying on!... :)

Was it like this ALL the way round Corradoboy?

Just wondered what can cause something like this to happen. I've got an 05 plate so its almost the same age as yours but I don't think age has anything to do with it, any ideas why this happens anyone?... :confused:

Well I think that's made my mind up... They're staying on!... :)

Just wondered what can cause something like this to happen. I've got an 05 plate so its almost the same age as yours but I don't think age has anything to do with it, any ideas why this happens anyone?... :confused:

Mine is a W reg and it had no bubbles!

Mine is a '53. No bubbles. Came off easily, just bend the bump strip back on its self (175 degrees), and peel. Worked really well.

And then to get the foam off, and some of the glue, I used my Jet Wash. But its not a micky mouse one, Its the one I use on the farm!

Looks phat.

Yup ! It appeared that the adhesive foam padding had trapped water for a prolonged period, allowing it over time to permeate the paint surface. This was how I convinced the dealer that it was actually a manufacturing/design fault, as I had no input into the causation. They countered that it was my attempt to alter the vehicle from the manufacturers specification that led to its discovery. Regardless, my car was defective through no fault of mine and therefore it is a valid warranty claim. Looks much better all clean :cool:

Panel Wipe . . . What and where do i get hold of some fella?

What did you use to take the strips off?

any half decent body shop will sell it to you...;)

and I just caught hold of a corner and pulled them off carefully...

• 3 weeks later...