7500 miles and out come the Gremlins

Just thought i would give a quick update for the benefit of any fellow or perspective owners out there.

Had the car since October now and covered 7.5k; and upto a couple of weeks ago it was very happy, trouble free motoring. The car is running in very nicely, economy has increased from around 47-48 to over 50 (brim to brim figures) since i clocked over 6000 miles and this is still increasing which is promising. The power and torque from the PD has never left me dissapointed which was a concern when i bought the car, still suprises me. The overall level of quality in the car is impressive when i compare the spec and quality to similar priced cars that colleagues have.

Recently though a few niggles have started to appear, the passenger front door rattle that has been intermitent since i bought the car has been getting gradually worse, a sharp whack doesnt seem to cure it anymore. Although i was originally waiting for the first service to get this sorted i may have to get it fixed earlier.

The reversing sensors packed up a few weeks ago too, their failure was gradual also. Every now and again i would get a loud high pitched beep when engaging reverse then the screen would turn off, other times it continued to work fine. But now the beep stays on constantly when in reverse, the screen works but the beep cannot be silenced. It went to Sinclair Skoda for this and they agreed it needed a software update which they were awaiting so it is going back for this next week.

Since i have had the car i have had a odd knocking noise from the front suspension when the steering is on full lock, so when parking etc. I thought nothing much of it at first as full lock must put odd loads on the steering, but this has got worse. After reading about other members having to have new steering racks i fear i may have a similar issue, so this will also be checked next week.

And finally on monday morning a new problem reared its head, when turning right at over 20mph (and only right) there is a strange cyclical grinding noise from the left hand side of the car, sometimes sounds like the front, and sometimes like the back. No idea what this is but SWMBO's old Fabia makes the same noise from both sides since it had a new handbrake and back brakes fitted. So this is getting checked also next week.

I dont want to sound like a moaner because overall i am very very happy with the car and the problems dont really worry me as so far Sinclairs have dealt with me brillianty (just a shame they're so busy and it takes so long to get booked in) so i know they will be sorted, after all its why it has a warranty. After coming from a lemon of a Fiat this has been bliss so far. The car is brilliant, whether for my daily commute or for when its 5 up with 4 bikes on the roof and a dog and all our gear in the boot. I feel justified that i made the right choice of car and am glad i came back to Skoda.

Sorry for waffling on, but i suppose someone might benefit from reading about my experiences so far.

Mine's 11 months old and has done 5000 miles.

For the passenger door rattle, does it stop if you dig your elbow (probably easier if it's the passenger's elbow) into the door?

I've got a rattle from the driver's door which can be stopped this way and I found it was the trim clips that attach the trim to the door - two of them were pushed into the door but had slipped out of the plastic trim.

In this afternoon to have the door trim refitted.

Mine suffers from the knocking noise at low speed on full lock if you go over a bump at anything over 1mph. Haven't had it investigated yet but it doesn't seem to have got worse. It's due a service at the start of May so may get them to take a look then.

I had an 03 Megane a while back and that did the same (but didn't need to be on full lock - just hit a bump mid turn). Renault investigated but couldn't find anything (mind you, if you took the engine out and told them it won't start, they probably still wouldn't find a fault) :rolleyes:

Haven't had any problems (yet) with the parking sensors - although mine had the software update last week when it was in for their first attempt at the door (when they tried to fix the wrong one).

Don't think I've had any other odd noises (other than a ping from the dash, accompanied with a warning light and exhaust workshop message I seem to get every few hundred miles). :mad:

My economy is pretty good - last tank was only 42mpg but that was all round town with no thought for economy. Have seen 66mpg on a long run. :D

Not particularly impressed with the quality. Certainly no better than my last car (a Zafira) and I don't think I'll be buying Skoda again (although I'm pretty much stuck with it for another two years until the finance ends).

To balance things up (not that I think it needs it!!) am currently at just over 34,000 and will be two years old in July. Not a squeek or a rattle from anything - and it has been driven fairly hard on a daily basis! Only small issue is the collar on the gear leaver has popped up.

And finally on monday morning a new problem reared its head, when turning right at over 20mph (and only right) there is a strange cyclical grinding noise from the left hand side of the car, sometimes sounds like the front, and sometimes like the back. .

I've got an 08 plate Fabia, and mine's been making the same cyclical grinding noise,:(

I've had it back to Skoda, who have been unable to get any further than "it sounds like it's coming from the transmission end, but we have been unable to replicate the noise with the wheels off the ground" :confused:They are putting in a technical report, and I'm waiting to see what comes of that. Otherwise I've had no faults (fingers crossed), will post again if I find anything out, otherwise, been told to "let the noise develop", basically suck it and see.:thumbup:(not)

The only major fault I had was a fuel injector failure at 5000 miles, and at the end of a week in Wales when the car covered 1000 miles. It was fixed quickly under warranty. Apart from that, just a couple of minor niggles - the Maxidot losing communication with the radio (was reset two weeks ago tomorrow and it seems to be fine so far) and an intermittent problem with the indicators not wanting to turn off if you accidentally move the lever at slightly the wrong angle.

I've had far worse from Vauxhall. The reversing sensors don't seem to be a problem, they just need an occasional clean to keep them happy. It's the first car I've owned from new, and with a car with so many gadgets on board, I half-expected one or two niggles.

Would I buy another Skoda? Most definitely.

Quick update - had my door trim refitted and the rattle seemed to go for about 10 minutes and now it's back (though slightly quieter than before).

I've had a number of new cars over the years and almost all have had the odd fault. The Zafira had a couple of minor faults (one rattle from the dash and the stereo packed up once). The worst were a 96 Fiesta and an 03 Megane. Also my wife had a Y reg Mondeo as a company car which must rate as the worst we've had (old or new) for reliability.

So far the Fabia rates as below average compared to my past cars. There are at least 4 or 5 separate rattles inside - one there all the time, a couple when it's warm outside, one when it's cold and some that are only really noticable on rough roads.

Saying that, if some of the issues can be sorted out then it could still change my mind in the next couple of years. It's certainly nice to drive, comfy and roomy.

Just lacking a bit of quality.

A bit of an update, all the problems have now either dissapeared (grinding noise, stone stuck in the disk apparantly) or been fixed by Sinclair Skoda, very happy!

A bit of an update, all the problems have now either dissapeared (grinding noise, stone stuck in the disk apparantly) or been fixed by Sinclair Skoda, very happy!

What was the door rattle mate? my Roomster is in on Monday to retro fit cruise and fix the rattle, my passenger door stops rattling if a passenger puts their arm or elbow on the arm rest

Mine was the exact same problem, the door would rattle until someone put pressure on the armrest. The tech said the clips that hold the trim to the door come loose and they cause the rattle, he says its a very very common problem. They offered to do my drivers door as a preventative measure too, so might get that done during the first service.

if i have been told right the grinding noise you get when turning on full lock is only on smaller engines, i had an 08 plate for 6 months (1.2 70) and it used to do it now i have a 57 1.9 tdi and its never done it (touchwood) maybe its the added weight that stops it?