Colour coded Columbus facia - I've done a Mater (sort of)

Better, worse or indifferent  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Better, worse or indifferent

• Better
    • Worse
    • Indifferent

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Mater who clour coded a radio surround in Race Blue, just to see what it looked like.

Mine is Black Magic, so doesn't have quite the same 'wow' factor.

Any views - better or worse ?

Before

P1000329.jpg

After

P1000911.jpg

P1000881.jpg

Edited by thebrymar

I can see the appeal and don't think it's any better or worse than original - but have to say that if I was forced to choose I think I'd go for the OEM way - sorry :(

I just like that dull grey! :D

I like it...... I am going to it.... off to Tesco for some tin foil and some sticky backed plastic. lol

Seriously it looks cool. Do you mind if I ask where you got it from..

Bugger, I was going to do that on mine next week :D I was planning on the piano black because other bits of the trim are that colour and it will match up better.

Looks miles better :thumbup:

What did you use? plastic primer, black paint then lacquer?

I like it...... I am going to it.... off to Tesco for some tin foil and some sticky backed plastic. lol

Seriously it looks cool. Do you mind if I ask where you got it from..

Thanks - appreciate it

Skoda dealer for facia - about £5 - £6 including VAT

Halfords for Black Magic paint - £6.99

Halfords for grey primer - £5.99

Then just a bit of patience adding layers to get best finish

I tried to lacquer it but when I did it took away the pearl effect, so it's just paint

Because I have the older style AC in my Octy I could only buy the Columbus surround in black.

I sprayed mine up silver - to match the colour of the old Stream surround that I removed.

I did honestly toy with the idea of using a black surround, but I personally prefered the silver finish.

But each to their own and the important thing is that you like it because at the end of the day it will be you who looks at it every day :)

• Like 1

TheBrymar, your radio facia looks absolutely fantastic. It looks pretty much like the piano black finish found in L&K models. So a job well done.

It's a shame that you cannot buy Piano black trim separately. In my opinion it looks VERY good inside Octy :)

Points for effort as it looks a good quality finish. Personally though I'd go for a silver finish as I think it brightens up the centre console, plus it also matches the silver trim running across the top of the glovebox etc.

Steve

thats superb, might have to see if its possible to do it in the passat, classy look unlike some mods i've seen on other forums

You can buy all the bits for the Passat in Aluminium, Piano Black, Walnut, Birds-eye Maple and Silver. They all look terrible in my opinion. I might try and colour-code mine (some dark grey colour) as my old Fiat Coupe had a yellow metal dashboard strip that looked CAF.