Cheapest solution to program fabia I transponder

c9550927

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what I need to buy to program the transponder on my newly purchased blank key. I've had a look at the stickies at the top and it seems from the websites linked that I can buy a £25 cable (starter kit) or the official kit that costs 10X :eek:

I have a laptop and am fine using it so if i can get a cheap cable and off load some of the smarts onto the laptop to cut costs on cable then thats fine.

Its a fabia 1 (05 plate) but am stuck on what cable would work. It looks like VCDS works up to a certain version with the "simple" cable and for anything newer I need the full monty.

Can anyone offer any advice to me as I'm confused on this, as i'm getting myself more and more confused on what I need to buy to get the job done. :confused:

Firstly you need the car's SKC which is the code that you need to code keys. This may be on your original key tag or you may need to retrieve it. VAG Tacho can do that for you.

Then you will need VCDS to program the key, but you can't do that with a generic cable or old version, you'll need the full fat version which will cost you a few quid.

The best thing you can do is try to find someone local to you who can do the coding for you and buy them a crate of beer!

Dont have any of those :(

So sounds like at a bare minimum I'd need to buy the £200(ish) cable to get the job done. Or buy a used one, or do as you said and find someone local to me who can do it.

I wonder how much the dealer(s) would charge to do something like this...

I wonder how much the dealer(s) would charge to do something like this...

About £160.

You say you have a new blank key, does it come with an un programmed transponder?

(these can only be programmed once) If not a new transponder is only about £7.50 (inc P&P) from Hickleys.com

I believe it's only the newest transponders (Octavia II, new Superb etc) that can only be programmed once, the older technology should be fine to be readapted.

No, its Immo-3 onwards (2002+) that cannot be re programmed (VAG are currently on Immo-5)

"Keys that have been previously matched to an Immo-3 cluster cannot be reused with a new one."

About £160.

You say you have a new blank key, does it come with an un programmed transponder?

(these can only be programmed once) If not a new transponder is only about £7.50 (inc P&P) from Hickleys.com

I bought the key cut from ebay (the one for £7 all in) and it came with blank transponder. I do have a working key but the newly cut key needs programming to allow starting engine (opens doors fine). I just need to understand how i can program the blank transponder so it'll start the car (with the new key too).

I know there is the create of beer option (which is fine by me) but failing that i'm looking into what I need to buy to do it myself. Dont need any other functions as i'll never use it for anything else (not technically minded enough to do owt on cars) :-)

It's not the actual key (blade) that needs programming it's the transponder itself (the 10mm long glass tube inside the key end of the remote).

I'm assuming you are talking about the three button remote key fob and not just a key with transponder (with no remote to lock/unlock the car)

No, its Immo-3 onwards (2002+) that cannot be re programmed (VAG are currently on Immo-5)

"Keys that have been previously matched to an Immo-3 cluster cannot be reused with a new one."

I stand corrected, must have read it incorrectly at some point :thumbup:

If you took some time to fill in the info on your profile we could see where you are and someone local may be able to help.

The dealer isnt going to charge £160 to just program a key, looking at 0.5 hrs labour tops (£30-£50).

• 4 months later...

Suggestion......

1) Buy a cheap generic VAG COM cable from ebay

2) Download the (V409) shareware software from ross-tech & check that it works for you

3) purchase the "software only" product from Ross-Tech as this will allow you to code extra keys

4) Go to your "friendly" locksmith or local diagnostics (non-dealer) garage and pay them a fee to retrive the 4-digit Security Cide using their Immo Code Readers. that way you don't have to figure out dash type / cable vagtacho versions that may or may not work with your Make/model/year of car ?