Mgtf

cbr600

Thinking of buying a new toy for the summer,does anyone have any info on these cars or has anyone owned one,looked on a few websites and they appear to have had a problem with the head gaskets but was this only on early models or on all of them,1600cc and the 1800cc or just one of them,would be grateful for any info.

I have limited knowledge on the earlyish cars (MGF) all were 1.8, either with or without VVT (not sure on what spec they changed to).

Head gaskets were an issue (as with most K series) and handling was interesting (bloody Metro Hydrolastic set up) When head gaskets fail it usually ends up getting oil in the water which makes a god awfull mess.

Not a fan of them really but not sure how the latter ones fair if im honest.

My brother in law had a MGF. The cabin was too small for me (5'11") and the engine suffered from water ingress due to the air vents in the body work.

You can pick these up pretty cheap now, but I'd also test a similar priced MX-5 and see which you like best before buying.

One of my best mates has one of the VVT versions. He loves it, but I can honestly say I can't share his love of the thing. Build quality isn't up to much and the gearbox seems poorly made - quite sloppy and notchy at the same time. It is quite slow, even when revved hard and never seems to deliver the punch you would expect. Before anyone mentions that I'm used to an engine with a turbo, I also drive my mates Integra Type R so the concept of revving an engine to get the best from it isn't something new to me.

It goes round corners well and stops without any problems, but lacks any sort of charm or character.

Also, you will look gay driving it - I did...:o

The last ones off the line sorted the head gasket issue and I would imagine you could machine the head to retrofit the tougher gaskets used by Lotus, etc. I've known a few people with K engined cars who've fitted aftermarket coolant level sensors, because the capacity of the engine is so low that even a small loss can dramatically affect the temperature.

Almost all K series engines were prone to head gasket failure but the 1800s were the worst - my other half's old Rover 110 was fine though and I've not come across one of those that's failed with the correct maintenance. I actually really like the character of the K series - it's a proper little terrier that pulls well from low down, even if the powerband is a bit narrow.

The one thing that isn't pleasant on the TF is the handling - it really will sidestep in the wet, and not in a nice controllable way. The interior is very dated too but you might be able to convince yourself that it's retro ;) If I was after a toy of that type though I'd go for an 1800-engined MX5 - those excel in every area where the TF falls down.

IIRC the hydrolastic suspension was scrapped when the model moved from being an MGF to an MGTF so I'd expect the handling and ride to be a lot better on the TF but I've not been out in either to be able to make a comparison.

My last car was a 1998 MGF with the 1.8 VVC (145bhp) engine. I bought it to be used as a weekend car, as I don't think it's an ideal daily driver. Everyone warned me about the MGF and the reliablity issues but I can honestly say that in the year I owned it, I didn't have one issue. If you are serious about purchasing one, then buy one where the head gasket has failed. If it has been repaired by a good garage then they should have replaced the original gasket with a Land Rover one. If this has been done, then you should be OK. As for leaks, there is a common fault with the mirror cheaters warping, but this is easily fixed with a 99p piece of plastic tubing from B&Q.

As long you keep checking the levels on a regular basis then it should be fine.

I really enjoyed driving it for the year I had it, and I found it to be a very rewarding drive. Due to the rear mounted engine, the harsh suspension and with it being so low to the ground, it's a proper drivers car. However, I would only recommend buying the VVC.

As for the "hairdressers car" comments... Don't worry about it. Didn't bother me. ;)