Octavia II Glovebox rattle

I have an Octavia II Elegance 2.0TDi which has a very irritating rattle coming from the glovebox. The car has been looked at by Clist and Rattle who thought they had cured it by replacing the glovebox door. This cured the problem for about 2 weeks before the problem returned. What is even more annoying is that the rattle is worse when the car is cold and if the sun has been shining on the car the rattle goes away.

The car is only 7 months old and apart from this problem it is a great car.

Has anyone out there had the same problem and found a cure?

Yes, I have this problem and its alway done it. Symptoms the same as yours, but not yet found a cure. During the winter it can be quiet bad, but during the summer it goes away completely and I forget about it.

Clist and Rattle are going to have another look at, but if that does not work I may well try your idea. On one occassion I got my passenger to push against the glove box door and that seemed to stop the rattle. So making the door a tighter fit may well work. Thanks.

I found that a rattle I had was actually from behind the glove box. Taking off the side panel and tightening every bolt in site up did the trick.

On my Seat Leon. The trick was to loosen all bolts in sight off and the push the dash panels away from the centre of the car and then tighten everything back up. It worked.

I have an Octavia which has a very irritating rattle coming from the glovebox. The car has been looked at by Clist and Rattle

How appropriate:D

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an Octavia II Elegance 2.0TDi estate (June 2008) which has an irritating rattle coming from the glovebox area. The dealer took the glove box out once to try and fix it without success. I think its the dashboard rather than the Glove Box as if I get a passanger to push the dashboard it stops. I find that the bottom corner of the dashboard has movement in it, which if I wedge with some rubber (between the sill side trip and the corner of the dash)seems to cure the problem for a while, but I seem to be constantly adjusting the wedge.

Does anyone else agree that the Octavias are a rattly car? I get the dash noise, constant noises from the door seals over every slight bump, and now a new one in the roof lining above the passanger seat.

Mine does not rattle at all most of the time, its only on cold mornings I get the glovebox rattle. Apart from that my car is silent inside, even on rough roads.

• 1 month later...

I took the car back to Clist and Rattle again and this time they removed the whole glovebox assembly and replaced it with new. This does seem to have cured the problem. I now only get a creak from the glovebox every now and again but it is not frequent and tends to occur when the roads are particularly poor.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. It is always good to know you are not alone with a particular problem.

Mines gone away completely at the moment, due to the warm weather. I expect mine to return with avengence once we get into the late autumn/winter again.

Mines gone away completely at the moment, due to the warm weather. I expect mine to return with avengence once we get into the late autumn/winter again.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.Even the infamous door seal rattle issue has solved itself thanks to high temperatures.:D

• 2 weeks later...

i too have an annoying rattle from glovebox area. i removed glovebox completely to be double sure this was culprit. found out the rattle is actually the round fan for heater rattling in its housing. sounds like a spoon rattling in bottom of a sandwich box is best way to describe the noise! anyway will be contacting stealers to see if this is covered on warranty(should be)fingers crossed..