Possibly very stupid first post - Brakes

Hello all,

I am new to this furby lark having bought my Silver 05 plate vrs in November. It replaced my company car (a new shape passat 2.0tdi sport) and the first thing i noticed were the brakes, which by comparison were crap. I fitted new pads and drilled grooved discs which improved things no end. Oh and a 185 bhp tuning box might have accidently attached itself to the wiring loom..Then i saw all the threads about TT 312mm conversions which got me thinking this....

I ride bikes of the pedal powered variety and i ride them very quickly, when upgrading disc size on a bike i only have to get the correct size caliper carrier and a new disc, can the same not be done for the furby? Would a 312mm disc and a larger carrier not do the job? The only thing i can think is the radius of the caliper might be wrong :confused:

Just a thought.

Well if the carrier is different then it wont fit the standard caliper will it

Unless the bolts were in the same location, just higher ;)

I'd think more so the pad size difference in the caliper? although I can't remember if I read that the pad size is the same...

I guess as no one makes a different size carrier with the same mounting then it is a bit of a moot point anyway :)

Just have to accept that i need to save up for tt discs and calipers :P

Thanks all!

Jabbasport supply a 312mm Carrier which you can use on the existing 288mm brakes on the Furby VRS, all you need then is 312mm discs and vwallah, you have your 288mm calipers and pads on 312mm discs.

Jabbasport supply a 312mm Carrier which you can use on the existing 288mm brakes on the Furby VRS, all you need then is 312mm discs and vwallah, you have your 288mm calipers and pads on 312mm discs.

No they dont, they provide the carrier for the Octavia 288mm brakes which are not the same as the fabia 288mm brakes.

I don't want to disappoint you, but there are threads on here that state that bigger brakes do NOT ultimately stop you faster. However they will stop you better for the same brake peddle pressure.

I don't want to disappoint you, but there are threads on here that state that bigger brakes do NOT ultimately stop you faster. However they will stop you better for the same brake peddle pressure.

that's in theory, in practise you'll stop quicker - I've been in my brother's Octavia with both the standard 288(?) brakes and 323 Brembos and the Brembos haul the car to even a single stop way quicker than the standard brakes ever did. When I changed the brakes on my Focus to 300mm ST170 affairs the car could stop quicker than it did with the standard brakes. I would hope the standard 312's could stop my Ibiza quicker than an FR

here we go again!! :rolleyes:

See this thread

http://briskoda.net/fabia-i/fabia-vrs-288mm-vs-312mm-brake-performance-experiment/145794/

for almost every angle of the arguement that is about the be covered!

On a personal level I had 312's fitted at the weekend and they are better than the standards.

Admittedly though the 288's only had 1.5mm of pad material left all round and the discs were that corroded the rears failed the MOT and the fronts were advisory!! :D

On a personal level I had 312's fitted at the weekend and they are better than the standards.

Admittedly though the 288's only had 1.5mm of pad material left all round and the discs were that corroded the rears failed the MOT and the fronts were advisory!! :D

You managed to paint them then? :D

You managed to paint them then? :D

oh yes. they are greener than a green thing from greensville. And look HUGE! Parked next to a 106 gti on Sunday and wonder how the hell he ever stops! :rofl: They are snug though had my wheels had a double thickness of balancing weights i don't think they would have gone on!

Pics and a freedom car thread to follow once it dries up and i can get some pics taken! :thumbup:

Well, I will soon have experience of all the permutations short of Brembos (if the f$%^ing 312 calipers ever turn up, f%^&ing fleabay sellers! :mad: ), as I obviously started out with OEM, wore them out, and currently have Mintex Extremes and ZeroSixties, which are now nearing the end of their lives. What I have now definitely work better than OEM, although I appreciate this is mostly down to the grooves on the discs keeping the pads surface nice and fresh, therefore removing the 'Oh Sh...' lag when you first hit the brakes, as opposed to any overall stopping ability! Obviously the more aggressive pads allow better stopping power for a given pedal pressure, and I'm putting on 312s on the assumption that the larger contact area with OEM pads and discs will give a similar effect to what I have now, although since the pads won't be so harsh, they and the discs should last longer.

The point about not stopping any faster is correct insofar as your stopping power is ultimately limited by the traction provided by your tyres - the only difference will be that bigger brakes will allow you to lock the wheels at a higher speed! Therefore the bit about Porsches etc. having big brakes is of course reliant on the fact that they also have tyres like lawn rollers which won't lose their grip very easily! :thumbup:

therefore removing the 'Oh Sh...' lag when you first hit the

I find its now "Oh Sh.... nose dive" that worries me. Suspension travel is so great that i'm sure my LCR splitter will meet Mr Tarmac some time soon! ;)

Hinting is very useful indeed if you're on wet roads too - it seems to reduce ABS activity MASSIVELY because the passenger side front wheel (often with less weight on than the drivers side, and with less traction) doesnt lock as often...

Not sure why or how but using hinting certainly makes a difference - that's one I learnt from driving tractors at 13 :D

i tend to brake like that anyways - wow i'm an advanced driver and didn't know it ;)

It was more my initial test of just stamping on the pedal that concerned me, although if stamping on the brakes means i avoid an accident but destroy a £20 splitter i'll be more than happy!

Well i have new tyres, 288mm discs and ebc pads. Which has improved things loads. I was comparing them to my old (new) car which did have very very good brakes.

When i removed the old discs they were completely buggered on the inside and on one side of the car only a single pad in each caliper had been changed by the previous owner. :confused:

All is much better now:)

I wouldn't believe everything you see for sale - after all, there are plenty of audio places who'll sell you a CD changer kit if you're old skool enough to have an MS402 HU in your Fabia, despite the fact it doesn't even have the correct pins on the back...

The hub to carrier bolt holes may be the same, but the fabia carriers are different in that they have a bar across the front, and the caliper sits within that bar area. The 312's definately do not have that bar, as can be seen on the jabba site photo.