To buy or not to buy!

Hi Everyone. My first time posting so go easy on me;)

I currently drive a Saab 9-3 TID saloon. Due to changes in family (kids) and work, I now need an estate car. Had my mind set on the new Subaru Legacy estate with the Boxer diesel engine. Liked the reports on it and also it was under the 20k mark.

What has put a spanner in the works was an article I read on the new shape VRS due out in September. I really like the look of it and am impressed by the power the diesel engine puts out and its decent price tag. However I have one or two reservations. Firstly I have the old stigma in my head that its a 'Skoda'! Has the car shaken of its tag of being the brunt of jokes about its reliability? I know its made with alot of Volkswagen parts which should be good. Secondly how big is the boot in the estate? Could I get in a couple of sets of golf clubs or a wet vac and some boxes? Another question is how economical is the VRS on for example A roads. Also drive a manual at the minute but like the sound of DSG. Is it worth paying the extra for?

Sorry for all the questions but might just be 'converted' to a Skoda with the right answers!

Thanks in advance

Justin

Start here

Škoda - Simply Clever - Škoda Australia

Škoda has set the bench marque – we’ve just been named

Best Manufacturer in Auto Express magazine’s Driver Power Survey 2009.

More than 20,000 drivers were asked to rate their cars on reliability, quality and running costs. Škoda had ranked second for the previous five years, but has now taken the top spot from Lexus.

Škoda’s Superb and Octavia models were also awarded second and third respectively in the best model rankings, outdone only by the Jaguar XF.

More here

http://www.skoda.com.au/downloads/skodaluxury.pdf

I was going to get a manual, but the DSG seems very good, and better than most automatics/semi-automatics. Worth taking a VRS for a test drive- I had my eye on a VRS Diesel DSG but the dealer won't drop the price even though it is a 2008 manufactured one.

There is a lot of info around about how good a car Skoda is.

:thumbup:

Edited by Indulis

And theyve been doing well for a couple of years now.

Werent all 3 main models in Top Gears top ten of 100 in 05 or 06? Not new news I know,but it shows that Skodas have been good for a few years now. And Skoda being Top Gear Manufacturer of the year in 07, something like that anyway.

You will still get people that think 'pah its a Skoda. Another name for a soft top Skoda? a skip, etc.' I was one, until the original octavia VRS came out. I dont mind tho, people underestimate them.

EDIT: Heres a few more awards/accolades

http://www.autoviewpoint.com/content/category_details/929/Skoda/

I think the Skoda image is solid now. They have a good track record of picking up awards in JD Power, Which? etc etc. which has been widely reported in the newspapers, so even people who are not petrolheads know that Skoda's are generally well regarded. You'll still get one or two people who scoff at the brand, but these will largely be older folks who remember the old Estelles.

The Octavia is a solid motor, and the diesel has to be more reliable than the Fiat lump in your Saab. The Octavias at work give zero bother, most are 140PS TDi (same engine in my Lancer, one of the reasons I went for it). Some are 170PS vRS and a few older 4x4 Estates and 1.8T vRS.

I had the Saab 95 2.2 TDi before taking the plunge with the vRS TDi.

I had reservations and scoured this forum before making the decision. I didn't consider myself a badge snob but the Skoda image did come into it.

However, as a user/chooser company car driver with a change every two years, I have no regrets in choosing the vRS and would happily have another one when changing in November. Something I would not have said for the Saab.

Go for it. I don't think you will regret it.

Can't help you with the DSG as I have a manual.

Boot space is great. The Saab 95 boot carried all my needs for work and was full. Everything that fitted in the Saab fits easily into the Octavia. I didn't think it would initially so tried it at the stealer before buying.

Can't help you with the DSG as I have a manual.

Boot space is great. The Saab 95 boot carried all my needs for work and was full. Everything that fitted in the Saab fits easily into the Octavia. I didn't think it would initially so tried it at the stealer before buying.

I have the same thoughts, Had a 93 tourer and now have the VRs tdi. Great car. Lots of boot space, the only thing is that there is a lip on the boot rather than a totally flat floor. Can be a pain in the ****. The engine is strong and build quality is good if not better than the GM built Saab. I feel the interior is bigger as well. I had a 120 bhp Saab and was getting 45-50 mpg. The Vrs gives me 35-40mpg but that could be because I am addicted to the power and cruising at 70-80mph. Can't advise you on the DSG as I like my manual.

Good luck

Boot: I had a Megane Estate claiming 500lt, so - with 2 small babies - boot increase was a parameter. Aside from higher values, Octy boot is way more usable than in Megane - although the aforementioned lip.

But there are two lateral vanes for small bits, a net to keep things wandering in your boot and two even smarter lateral clips/braces to carry your bags!

Result: room for weeks of vacations :)