Columbus and Post Codes

Is it possible to enter a complete postcode when entering a new destination? So far, mine has only let me enter a partial postcode, which is a bit of a limitation when the postcode is all that is available.

My understanding is that 5 digit entry is the only option possible at the moment and has bee the subject of much comment on this forum. It is a problem that effects many other car makers’ navigations systems. Some people have said there may be updates allowing 7 digit entry in the future but I haven’t seen any firm dated for this.

The latest word from Skoda UK is that 7 digit entry will not be forthcoming on the Columbus.... wait for it..... due to technical limitations.

Quite honestly, that's a load of ****. What they really mean is that they can't be bothered to pay their supplier to update the software to support 7 digits, nor to pay the increased cost for the full 7 digit database.

Ford recently endured a backlash from new Mondeo drivers, as they went from 7 digit entry in the old car, to 5 digit in the new one. Ford quickly released an updated map DVD and software that fixed the problem.

It's a shame that the VAG group don't pay as much attention to their customers as Ford do. The 5 digit thing isn't only limited to Skoda, it's across the board. You can buy an R8 with satnav, and you still only get 5 digit entry.

Bagpuss.

To be honest i don't see the problem.

I found it perturbing at first as i went from a TomTom 720T to the Columbus and i thought it was a bit naff.

However now that i have learned to use the system properly the 5 digit entry doesnt bother me. You can still find any address in the UK. It may take a quick check on the net for a road name but i would say 99% of people have access to the net through phone/laptop/pc etc so for me its not an issue.

Yes it would be nice seeing as other manufacturers have 7 digit entry but i don't absolutley need it

Carl:thumbup:

If you find it okay, Mater, then cool.

For some of us, who travel a lot visiting customers, it's a pain in the ****.

Two typical examples are:

1) A destination in the middle of nowhere that doesn't lie on a road with an established name. With TomTom, the 7 digit code gets you exactly where you want to be. With only a 5 digit code and no road name, you can't narrow it down any further.

2) When you destination lies on a road that is so long it crosses post code boundaries. You put the 5 digit code it, and then the road name, but this might direct you to the wrong end of the road, when your destination is 5 miles the other way.

If there was a good technical reason for not doing it, then fine, but it's all down to money. VAG simply won't pay the extra money to license the full database.

I have to admit, that I've been considering pulling the Columbus out, and installing the new Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. This has Parrot bluetooth built in, which is compatible with way more phones, and also does all the AV/iPod stuff that the Superb ought to have had as standard. More importantly, it does 7 digit post codes.

I keep complaining to Skoda about this, as they will only fix it if enough people moan about it.

Bagpuss.

1) A destination in the middle of nowhere that doesn't lie on a road with an established name. With TomTom, the 7 digit code gets you exactly where you want to be. With only a 5 digit code and no road name, you can't narrow it down any further.

2) When you destination lies on a road that is so long it crosses post code boundaries. You put the 5 digit code it, and then the road name, but this might direct you to the wrong end of the road, when your destination is 5 miles the other way.

If there was a good technical reason for not doing it, then fine, but it's all down to money. VAG simply won't pay the extra money to license the full database.

I have to admit, that I've been considering pulling the Columbus out, and installing the new Pioneer AVIC-F900BT. This has Parrot bluetooth built in, which is compatible with way more phones, and also does all the AV/iPod stuff that the Superb ought to have had as standard. More importantly, it does 7 digit post codes.

I keep complaining to Skoda about this, as they will only fix it if enough people moan about it.

Bagpuss.

Do you happen to know how putting a telephone number in the search field helps?

I had the 5 digit problem last week with an unhelpful search, put the telephone number in and up came the correct location. It was for a hotel. But it still makes you wonder how putting a telephone number in helped find the location when the postcode didn't help.

Hi Carl,

Ok Bagpuss

Show me how to complain about it and who to and i will email or write a letter and complain. (im not taking the p*ss either :) )

Carl:thumbup:

Best way is to write a letter to the man in charge of these things, Warren Richards.

The address is:

Warren Richards,

Skoda UK,

Yeomans Drive,

Blakelands,

Milton Keynes,

MK14 5AN.

I do have his e-mail address, but I think a letter always indicates a little more effort.

Hope that helps.

Bagpuss.

Hi Chris,

Do you happen to know how putting a telephone number in the search field helps?

I had the 5 digit problem last week with an unhelpful search, put the telephone number in and up came the correct location. It was for a hotel. But it still makes you wonder how putting a telephone number in helped find the location when the postcode didn't help.

I suspect that the hotel telephone number was in the POI database, so it already knew exactly where it was.

Bagpuss.

Bagpuss.

I have come up with a bit of a work around to use 7 digits postcodes, but still not perfect:

http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/rns510-postcodes/144711/

I know BMW use the same map data, and indeed the same map filenames as its possible through a couple of tweaks to use a bmw nav disk in the columbus (as I do, google is your friend), however even the most expensive bmw nav system still only has 5 digit postcode entry.