throttle body clean...

Hi There,

So I decided to give this a bash and I noticed quite a substantial difference in the "pull" of the car after cleaning the body. The metal housing after the throttle body, which I think is the inlet manifold (but could be completely wrong) is pretty grubby inside, far worse than the throttle body itself.

One thing I did notice, the throttle body valve (circlular piece of metal) isn't completely flush, i.e. its at a very slight angle. looking in the valve looks to be closed but it certainly isnt 100% vertical when sitting closed. is this the norm or could cleaning it have broken it slightly?

The second thing i noticed after cleaning it is that when i turn the key to position one, i get a high pitch whining noise from the trottle body itself for 10-30 seconds then it stops. is this also normal as I've never noticed this noise before. could somebody test this on their vrs when they get a moment and see if they hear the same thing?

And the third thing i noticed, on the pipe side of the throttle body contained alot of white dust when i initially pulled the pipe from the throttle body, where could this dust be coming from? I've often noticed a Hiss coming from the driver side wing when giving the car some welly (post about 3k revs) could there be a leak allowing dust in?

Thanks guys,

I can only guess at the first one but I would think if it completely closed the car wouldn't run as there would be no air entering the engine, there is a gap round the edge of the flap, this is what get dirty and causes the running issues, which I have always thought makes sense as the gap allows for idle and it ends up with a load of gunk in it.

The second one is normal, did you have the bonnet open when it did it ???

Hope this makes sense

Yes all sounds normal, the inlet manifold after the throttle body will have the same kind of carbon build up, but this doesn't affect the running. As long as the build up is removed from around the throttle plate then this will normally help, certainly made a difference with mine.

The angle of the throttle plate is normal, it doesn't close completely flat.

The noise is normal as well although I couldn't hear it on mine I could hear it loudly on a mates car when I did a TB clean the other week. Did you leave the multiplug to the TB plugged in when you cleaned it? If you pulled it out the TB will need to be reset so it might be playing up because of that.

Not sure about the white powder, normally the pipes and throttle bodies are caked with black oil deposits. Get the drivers wheel off and check the connections between the pipes and the intercooler are tight. Might also be worth getting the intercooler off and rinsing it out.

I did mine yest, well half of it since no vag dealer had the gasket in stock but I couldnt wait to have a look at how dirty it was so removed the pipe and had a good clean and watched all the oil deposit run off onto a cloth. Idle seemed alot better to. Cant wait for to finish it off tomorrow.

I definitely left mine attached throughout the whole process, so i hope I fudged nothing!

could somebody put me out of my misery and put the key to position 1 on a cold vrs with the bonnet open and see if they get a squealing from the TB? about 10-30 seconds worth.

one hopes he hasn't forked his TB.

I definitely left mine attached throughout the whole process, so i hope I fudged nothing!

could somebody put me out of my misery and put the key to position 1 on a cold vrs with the bonnet open and see if they get a squealing from the TB? about 10-30 seconds worth.

Yes thats normal ....relax

I have no idea what its doing mind you. It just does it.:):)

Yeh don't worry too much, mine does it every time i start the engine. Only problem is the strange looks you get when you're in a busy car park :rofl:

"choke and carb cleaner" available at halfords in a spray can thingy for <£5

Just remember to moisturise your fingers afterwards. That spray really dries your skin right up :)

The whine is normal Andy. AFIK it does this when using VAG Com to reset the throttle body. I think it tells you in the owners manual that you can reset the throttle body by opening the bonnet, drivers door, then turning key to position 1 and waiting for high pitched noise. So I'm guessing this noise is the throttle body resetting.

Just remember to moisturise your fingers afterwards. That spray really dries your skin right up :)

What !!!! We are men here not women :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The whine is normal Andy. AFIK it does this when using VAG Com to reset the throttle body. I think it tells you in the owners manual that you can reset the throttle body by opening the bonnet, drivers door, then turning key to position 1 and waiting for high pitched noise. So I'm guessing this noise is the throttle body resetting.

Old wives tale, it does sound like its aligning but it doesn't actually move, I've had the hose of and watched but it doesn't do anything, not sure whats going on really :confused::confused::confused:

Old wives tale, it does sound like its aligning but it doesn't actually move, I've had the hose of and watched but it doesn't do anything, not sure whats going on really :confused::confused::confused:

Me too and I had the throttle opened whilst doing exactly that and the sounds are definitely from inside the intake manifold. Possibly the injectors aligning but it certainly is not the tb