Starting problem, 2.0TDI

Hello,

I have 2005 Octavia 2.0TDI and DSG. Motor type is BKD. Now i have starting problem on Octavia. Those problems started last week and now it doesn't start up anymore.

Yesterday every thing was okay when i drive about 100km (63ml). I have to take it next monday on service.

Is there anyone who has samekind of problems with 2.0TDI engine?

Harri

Yes, I have had the same problem with my car for the last year or so. I have called Skoda assist on 2 different occasions to get the car started. The upshot of my problem is the fuel drains away from the engine whilst switched off and takes ages to be pumped back to the injectors, sometims too long for the battery to last.

No one seems to know what the cause of the problem is and Skoda UK couldn't give a rats *** to be honest. I can't leave my car standing with less than half a tank of fuel or it has big problems starting.

You could have the same problem or it could be something completely different.

Startmotor runs normaly when i try to startup the engine. Engine doesn't even try to startup during the starting. I think engine doesn't get fuel. If fuelpump is broken that can be reason which cause those previously problems.

Once in last week when i left from work car started up normaly but after few second it almost went off without any reason.

I fill up the tank yesterday and after that i drive without any problems that 100km. Fortunately i got 1 year and 30000km ( 18750ml ) waranty on Octavia. So they have to repair Ocu.

What do you think can faulty EGR valve cause those problems?

-Harri-

No, it can't.

Yes, I suppose so. Hope so there is not big fault. Maybe air in the fuel system or faulty fuelpum causes those problems.

Someone said me that immobilizer could be main reason of this. I try to starup Octavia another key also, but result was same---> No startup. :mad:

Tomorrow local service will pick up Ocu to service. I will inform you until i know reasons of those "little" problems. :eek:

Harri

Hello,

I have 2005 Octavia 2.0TDI and DSG. Motor type is BKD. Now i have starting problem on Octavia. Those problems started last week and now it doesn't start up anymore.

Yesterday every thing was okay when i drive about 100km (63ml). I have to take it next monday on service.

Is there anyone who has samekind of problems with 2.0TDI engine?

Harri

Fuelpump is a strong possibility and this problem is not unusual on this engine.

I've noticed on many VAG cars that when you open the driver's door after unlocking there's a humming noise from the car. This is the fuel pump priming itself to prepare for starting. I'm not sure about your specific engine, but it sounds like it needs to be set to do this - if its as simple as a VAG Com setting it'll be the easiest fix ever...

It's not the immobiliser; that disables the starter motor, so the engine won't even spin.

Does anyone know if there's supposed to be a non-return valve anywhere in the fuel feed system?

The Skoda assist chappie told me there is a NRV in the tandem pump as well, a bit of crap in the seat will be enough to allow the fuel to flow back past it. IIRC its supposed to keep 3 bar pressure in the intermediate fuel rail between the tandem and the injectors to allow easy starting.

Does anyone know if the tandem pump is easy to remove and strip/rebuild?

Hello or Terve in finnish :)

I just got back my Octavia from the service. Now everything is ok. As I hoped there wasn't big fault. Startmotor was very unclean and it caused that problem.

Same time they cleaned EGR valve. That was also unclean.

Hopefully those problems are now behind and i can enjoy driving with my Skoda.

Thanks for tips :)

Harri

It's not the immobiliser; that disables the starter motor, so the engine won't even spin.

Does anyone know if there's supposed to be a non-return valve anywhere in the fuel feed system?

If it was the immobiliser it would still turn over as the immobiliser kills the spark,

Cheers

Jason.