KwickFit balanced my wheels for free. but why?

As all four corners are equally worn, i find it hard to beleive that tracking is to blame or it would be either the inside edge, or the outside edge.

Its more likely a case of me trusting my tyres alot when it comes to corners and roundabouts :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Trying putting them up to about 35psi, like I say... :)

Because it's kwik-fit?

this is exactly the image they are obviously trying to move away from, at the end of the day no tyre fitting cimpany is any different from another seeing as the fitters quirte often move from one branch/company to another. you get good fitters and bad fitters and thats what makes the difference.

I could tell you some "horror" stories about Kwik Fit i heard from a friend who works at a localy owned tyre place..... mostly about their shoddy work.....

I could tell you some "horror" stories about Kwik Fit i heard from a friend who works at a localy owned tyre place..... mostly about their shoddy work.....

No offence meant, but isn't it odd that your mate who works for a rival fitting company has horror stories? I've heard stories about every tyre fitting place anywhere near me, in fact the one I use has more stories than most, however in my personal experiance (the only experiance that matters when it come to work on the car), they are the most reliable and least likely to cause damage to my car/wheels.

I had a blow out and had to go to Aberdeen Thick Fit because it was a sunday and no one else was open, I was told I should replace my tyre because it had only 3mm of tread on it in one place (the outside edge) and that was 'Dangerous' and that it would be dangerous for me to drive away with only 3mm of tread on the outside edge.

I told them if they were really keen to fondle my alloys for longer than necessary they could swap it for one of the rears with almost 8mm of tread. The manager then said that that would be dangerous as you're always supposed to have better tyres on the rear to stop the back end from sliding.

-I mentioned I had added a rear antiroll bar because I wanted to do just that, -not even a crack of a smile.

£115 he wanted for 0ne Pirelli Zero Nero, I can get them for £57 from Black Circles!

Needless to say I didn't buy a tyre from them money grabbing idiots.

I suppose like a lot of other large businesses there is variation between branches. All I can say is that I have used one of my local Kwik Fit outlets for a few years for a few different things, and there is all the same main staff there over that period (very good sign in any business that!), they are always friendly, always honest so far as I can tell and have always done a good job so I wouldn't hesitate in using them again.

As to the free balancing, they haave probably just classed it as a free tyre check as this is a service they offer. As, so far as I know, they don't work on commission then processing a small payment would not be worth it compared to the goodwill generated...

£115 he wanted for 0ne Pirelli Zero Nero, I can get them for £57 from Black Circles!

Kwik-Fit usually either have the tyres in stock or available to fit sameday - from BlackCircles, you'll usually have to wait a couple of days for fitting. It costs more for Kwik-Fit to have the tyres more readily available, hence the higher cost of the service.

It also costs more for them to be open on a Sunday.

Rob.

I'd say the reason why you had the service for free is because they feel they noticed an isue on your car (tyres, tracking etc) and as they were the last to work on it, they don't want any come-back so that is why they haven't given you a receipt etc so that they can deny ever touching it should something go wrong/you have a accident.

Could it be that, like Skoda, they are improving, but are stuck with a pretty low rent image and (no offense) some people choose to ignore this and are still against them based upon brand name?

Kwik fit will price match other local vendors with the tyre in stock, but you do have to ask if they are just maximising profits when it's possible.

Fair enough, but a bad business model.

I needed a tyre for a mini at short notice and it was cheaper by a good amount to buy a part worn and then order the correct tyre in the next day at a local vendor than to take it from them.

this is exactly the image they are obviously trying to move away from, at the end of the day no tyre fitting cimpany is any different from another seeing as the fitters quirte often move from one branch/company to another. you get good fitters and bad fitters and thats what makes the difference.

True. Not *all* kwik fit fitters are awful, but they seem to have more crap ones than they should IME.