Thinking of buying a Fabia VRS

My 2.0dti Astra is now on its last legs so I am thinking about buying a new car. I already have a mk1 Octy VRS and love it, it is a bit heavy on fuel to drive to work each day though. As I am very impressed with my Skoda experience owning the Octy I am thinking about getting a Fabia VRS as it looks very good and the engine is cracking.

The reason for this thread is to find out what to look for when buying a used Fabia VRS, hints and tips things to avoid etc.

Also comments on day to day driving/performance of a Fabia VRS will be helpful.

Cheers,

Mark.

creaking noises over speed bumps, and worn inner edges of front tyres = knackered console bushes...

Yea, look out for the console bushes, mine has done 86k and the tyre is welll worn off on the inside on the nearside compared to the off side not done this before so getting them checked out at the weekend!

Leaky rear door seals

Performance is not scorching, but plenty as standard for me anyway.

Easily achieve 50+ MPG

had mine for nearly 2 years and 25k now,, still puts a smile on my face every single time. Still cant believe its a skoda and neither does anyone else that gets in for a spin. The one and only problem is the seats, the covering is just awful, if you can get one that has had a leather retrim you will have a very very good car to run around in, which I think is unbeatable for the cash.

Yeah...the seats are impossible to clean.

I've had mine for 6months now, and I love it. The gas mileage compared to the performance is incredible. (laughs at pruis drivers)

My only concern is the rear end in terms of handling. Car feels kinda loose. Could really use a rear sway bar.

Agree with the post above, seats are a nightmare to keep clean! Great car though 50+ on a good run, average about 36 round and about to work, so usually 300+ mile per tank. Not sure if mines had a re-map, but loads of torque, so be careful or you'll be buying tyres on a regular basis. Wouldn't change though, VW quality without the price tag, hopeing they bring out a new version, which is as much fun to drive.

Hi Mark, I'm another happy owner. It's a bit of a tractor off the lights but once going the performance is stunning, with 310NM of torque you can get great acceleration where it really matters, eg. leaving a 30mph limit, coming off roundabouts, etc and is VERY good at overtaking. It's also a complete stealth car, people just don't really notice it, so you can have great fun, and park it anywhere. Cheap as chips to run, even driving enthusiastically expect 40mpg+

Cheap insurance and tax not too bad either.

Personally I find the ride a bit rough but have only noticed this recently because I'm becoming a grumpy old man. I'm looking to change mine soon, trading up to something bigger, but have been happy with it.

Oh and the blue seats are a dirt magnet.

Only downer was using the key fob to open the boot one very late night then closing the keys inside - it relocked - could not get my spare keys as house keys were on the same fob, and the spare key was at home! Couldn't get into the car or my house. Took the AA over 3 hours to get in without breaking anything (amazed they tried for that long really), guy was moaning about Skoda build quality being much better these days.

Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply. Your input is very valuable and shows just how helpful forum sites are.

The verdict is I'm sold! I love my Octavia VRS and cannot wait to but a Fabia VRS, I will shed a tear when the Astra goes though, a fantastic work horse.:thumbup: