Stream mp3 stereo

Hi all, I have a 55reg 06 VRS. It has a stream stereo fitted but not a stream MP3, I have managed to buy a second hand stream MP3 so I can connect my Ipod/i phone to it via the Aux connetion. I may be wrong here but I dont think you can do this unless you have the MP3 stream, however my stream does have an option in the menu for AUX ON/OFF. If you can connect an ipod on the origional stream then please let me know and I will just sell on the Stream MP3 i bought. My next question is how and where do you connect upto the aux and do i need to buy a special adaptor or something. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Look at the label by the plug at the back of the radio. It should have Aux L, R and ground marked as pins on the connector. They're taken by the CD changer in the case of my car, so I spliced in a switch to change between an Aux in Jack plug and the CD changer. They'll be part of the smaller plug where data from the aircon, clock, temperature and reverse parking sensors is fed to the radio.

The MP3 version of the Stream plays CD's with mp3s on them rather than being specifically mp3 player compatible, but that should also have a aux in.

Although the original stream had the menu options, the required components were never fitted inside the headunit. The only HU with aux in capability is the MP3 version.

If i have a factory fitted cd changer in the boot does this not mean the stream does have AUX in as is this not where the cd changer connects? Also as the newer octavia's have a jack plug fitted for an MP3 player and the MP3 stream radio, does this mean they do not have a CD changer in the boot otherwise if they do how do they have both connected?

Edited by Pozza

My car also has the CD changer. What I did was get a single switch that switches 4 different wires simultaneously from Maplin, a bunch of insulated spade connectors and a panel mount 3.5mm jack plug and spliced the mp3 socket into the feed from the CD changer. I put the switch and jack plug into two free switch blanks over the ashtray.

The downside to this is that the CD changer must be turned on in order for the radio to play the sound feed from your mp3 player and the radio still cuts the sound while changing CDs regardless of whether the source is the changer or the mp3 player. If you turn the CD changer off the radio just says 'no CD changer' or similar and won't play the mp3 player sound.

Newer radios have a different input for an aux source as well as the CD changer input I reckon.

Also as the newer octavia's have a jack plug fitted for an MP3 player and the MP3 stream radio, does this mean they do not have a CD changer in the boot otherwise if they do how do they have both connected?

My Elegance has the aux jack in the jumbo box and also a CD Changer, I have no idea how they are both wired in though as I haven't taken the stereo out.

You need to go to a vw/audi/seat/skoda dealer and order 2x 000979010 cut these in half and you have four wires they go into the choclate box bit that connects to the back of the stereo and cost no more than a couple of quid.

Then go to maplins or ebay and buy a ipod dock connecter lead like this iPod Car Stereo Dock Connector to Aux 3.5mm Audio Cable on eBay (end time 17-Aug-09 18:35:42 BST)

now to ensure all the wires are connected up right you need to check that the tip (earth) is marked when you split the dock cable to join the yellow wire then left and right connected to a yellow wire too. A voltmeter or a 1.5v battery and bulb set up to ensure the correct wires are found.

Then take out the stereo, the block off the back of the stereo and push the wires in to the correct holes, but only after you have thread the lead through the glove box. Make sure the lead is long enough, put the block back into the stereo and put stereo back in. Be careful not to loose the screws as you screw in the stereo and then put the screw covers back in.

turn stereo on and hold down cd button till AUX IN is displayed.

my write up in full for doing this is http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/installing-my-mp3-kit-today/90871/ please click on thanks if you find it useful :thumbup:

....please click on thanks if you find it useful :thumbup:
....not noticed my thanks go up or down... but then i cant say i take any notice of it anyway..

Make your mind up :rofl::rofl: