1.8T 4x4 Perfomance Upgrades

Hi guys I'm currently driving a BMW E46 328 and find it dull. I have been considering buying an Octavia as people say they are good to drive.

I'm not a great fan of front wheel drive but see there is a 4x4 version can anyone tell me which 'platform' its based upon or what the upgrade path is ? (the search doesn't seem to recognise 4x4)

I had a Leon Cupra with 180bhp previously and found that was a little underpowered so would like over 200 really considering the 4WD will need a bit more.

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if you dont want togo as far as EddieH or CupraMatt you can just go for something similar to below

Remap - will take you from 150bhp to 200bhp approx

Brakes - 312mm easy cheapish upgrade or stick Tarox pads in with uprated 288mm discs(standard size)

Suspension - Coilovers to sort out the high ride height and firm up the ride

This will see you with a pretty quick subtle car, from here you can start looking a bodykits/bigger wheels/bigger turbos/FMIC & more supportive seats etc. (the list can go on forever)

The octavia is based on a Mk4 golf/Mk1 Seat Leon so you will allready have a little knowledge about what some of the common faults might be with the suspension bushes/arb bushes/coil packs (1.8t)

Hi guys I'm currently driving a BMW E46 328 and find it dull.

Well, i've just gone from an E36 328i (non-sport) to an octavia vRS, and even the vRS is a lot more spongy than the beemer. I've not driven an E46 for a long time, but im pretty sure you'll find any octavia even more dull after one.

Have you considered going back to a Leon? The missus' mk1 Leon Cupra R (225bhp) is a far far more fun car than the octavia, due to the 225bhp engine, 6 speed box, and more handling orientated suspension setup. I'd honestly class the Octavia as a fast cruiser, rather than sporty, like the Leon or Beemer.

Id go to a dealer and test one. The E46 may be a completely different beast to the E36, and i could be completely wrong!

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I should have been clearer, I'm not looking for engines swaps / internals just chip, exhaust etc 240bhp would be my target really.

IIRC the various Seats had different 1.8T engines with different turbos heance different results.

I thought the Leon was a bit small and thought the Octavia was bigger (Passat Size) I read up on the 2.8 syncro Passat but everyone said they were very dull.

I had an 328 E36 Coupe years ago and quite liked it but the E46 is a lot heavier and the responces are far duller - I think that they think this makes it 'refined'.

I need a large hatch or estate as I'm frequently moving seats, wheels etc and have 3 kids too. I guess I'd better go and have a look at the size as if its only Leon sized then I might be better off with a Cupra R although I did like the idea of the 4wd as opposed to the front wheels spinning / traction control taking over.

the boot on the octavia (estate or hatch) will be huge compared to the Leon. I wanted the leon originally but having children and a large dog stopped that idea so I went for the octavia and never regretted it.

If your after the 240bhp mark you want to be looking more at the vrs but you will still need a larger turbo.

BHP isn't everything, if you combine a decent brake and suspension setup then it will keep up with more powerfull cars if driven properly.

I had a vrs and a friend had a modded octavia 4x4 and despite mine having more 20/30 BHP more than him around the twisties they were very evenly matched, off the line I couldn't keep up with him.

I don't mind swapping turbos IC's if there's a reasonable gain, which turbos are fitted to which cars ?

IIRC with the Leons the 150 model had a smaller turbo than the 180 which was smaller than the R

I seemed to remember the big boot from when we looked at cars for my wife (she ended up with an A6)

What is the difference between an RS and VRS ?

Guest westallc
240 ain't happening on the standard turbo and the leon is the same as the octavia, its only the bushes/springs/dampers that will be different.

ben why is 240 not poss as some have got more than that???? des ran his to 250 on a standard turbo??

im running about 235 ( sorry was running now about 50bhp lol)

des ran his to 250 on a standard turbo??

Shhh!

Don't tell everyone, they will all want 250bhp and anyway I won't be able to have a right good laugh when I see yet another post with, A KO3 will never run above 220ish bhp b*ll*cks. :rofl:

Shhh!

Don't tell everyone, they will all want 250bhp and anyway I won't be able to have a right good laugh when I see yet another post with, A KO3 will never run above 220ish bhp b*ll*cks. :rofl:

so what magical dust was used then Des as along with many hundreds of other people i've never seen a K03s run that power and certainly never repeated on different rollers and according to the manufacturers and some very experienced tuners(tuners that make manufacturers WRC cars) the turbo cannot even flow enough air to make those figures.

150: K03

180: K03s

210/225: K04

vRs == RS

:thumbup:

the 150BHP 4x4 = K03s (same as the VRS) and remaps to 210BHP easily. and like others have said, sort the brakes and suspension out and a few engine mods (FMIC, TIP, DV) and you have a really useful fun hatchback. Will also be a lot cheaper than the equivalent Golf, Leon, A3 :thumbup: Tyres last longer than on a VRS as well :D

so what magical dust was used then Des as along with many hundreds of other people i've never seen a K03s run that power and certainly never repeated on different rollers and according to the manufacturers and some very experienced tuners(tuners that make manufacturers WRC cars) the turbo cannot even flow enough air to make those figures.

I never realized they used KO3's on WRC cars. :rofl:

My ex car has never ever never run those sort of figures on the following sets of rollers, BD engineering, Jabba, Stealth and on a single roller in Essex (don't remember the name of the tuner. :rofl: These are all near me in Kent so I may have bribed them all. :rolleyes:

Not saying that I used Noz but what would happen if you run a 50 shot on a 220bhp vRS. Would it run 270bhp or would the turbo not flow enough air. :confused:

So it may just be possible with the right mod your little KO3 may be able to run more power than your Bengie KO3 no vision limit. :rofl:

It's not all about following the crowd or handing your car and a pile of cash over to someone. :D

Don't bother asking how I did it. :P

I'm sure you will dream up some excuss so I will leave it to you. ;)

I never realized they used KO3's on WRC cars. :rofl:

My ex car has never ever never run those sort of figures on the following sets of rollers, BD engineering, Jabba, Stealth and on a single roller in Essex (don't remember the name of the tuner. :rofl: These are all near me in Kent so I may have bribed them all. :rolleyes:

Not saying that I used Noz but what would happen if you run a 50 shot on a 220bhp vRS. Would it run 270bhp or would the turbo not flow enough air. :confused:

So it may just be possible with the right mod your little KO3 may be able to run more power than your Bengie KO3 no vision limit. :rofl:

It's not all about following the crowd or handing your car and a pile of cash over to someone. :D

Don't bother asking how I did it. :P

I'm sure you will dream up some excuss so I will leave it to you. ;)

well obviously i meant a single K03s on a 1.8T still at 1781cc and not running nos as thats just a stupid thing to say really, an S4 runs K03s's yet is capable of 315bhp and 365lbft so why did you bother with all the extra's when a simple S4 map on your current ecu would see a K03s running 315bhp?

if 250dhp is so easily achievable why isn't everyone running it and every tuner offering it?

well obviously i meant a single K03s on a 1.8T still at 1781cc and not running nos as thats just a stupid thing to say really, an S4 runs K03s's yet is capable of 315bhp and 365lbft so why did you bother with all the extra's when a simple S4 map on your current ecu would see a K03s running 315bhp?

if 250dhp is so easily achievable why isn't everyone running it and every tuner offering it?

So what have you changed your story to now? You can or you can't run above 220bhp on a KO3?????

Oh don't tell me this is a Bengie, I will move the goal post statement to suit my inaccurate ramblings. :rofl:

Who said it was easy! I think you are just covering up the fact that you really don't know what you are talking about. :rofl:

I think, much like yourself, most have (not all) copied and stood on the shoulders of others and hit that wall and cannot think any further or for them selves. You seem to have an aversion to people who push the boundaries or go against the flow to gain that little bit extra.

One thing shows from your statements above, you are not big enough to admit when you are wrong. :P

Disclaimer:

I wish to state that my findings have not been copied and pasted, read from a book or over heard from the fat bloke down the pub but from painstaking trial and error, better known as bitter experience which has cost me lots of wedge. :D

Haha! Yeah magic does happen every now and then.....

I've been in a 1275cc Mini with 148bhp, and no turbo. Pretty special. Built by the original masters of mini tuning.

So what have you changed your story to now? You can or you can't run above 220bhp on a KO3?????

Oh don't tell me this is a Bengie, I will move the goal post statement to suit my inaccurate ramblings. :rofl:

Who said it was easy! I think you are just covering up the fact that you really don't know what you are talking about. :rofl:

I think, much like yourself, most have (not all) copied and stood on the shoulders of others and hit that wall and cannot think any further or for them selves. You seem to have an aversion to people who push the boundaries or go against the flow to gain that little bit extra.

One thing shows from your statements above, you are not big enough to admit when you are wrong. :P

Disclaimer:

I wish to state that my findings have not been copied and pasted, read from a book or over heard from the fat bloke down the pub but from painstaking trial and error, better known as bitter experience which has cost me lots of wedge. :D

rant-tastic :rofl: I do like the way you constantly bleat on about how you've done this and how you've done that but never actually elaborate because it's all a big bloody secret...:thumbup:

make whatever assumptions you like, but I know for a fact that if you were to share how someone ran a reliable 250odd horse power from a 1.8T with a K03s rather than just make hollow sarcastic comments then Ben would be at the front of the queue to say how awesome (or should that be Impossible...:D) the work was

:)

well i'm going to be going from a skoda 1.8t 4x4 estate to an e46 320d, just purely down to MPG as new job is miles away.

the boot in the skoda is massive compared to the e46 tourer, the skoda is 580 litres, and the e46 tourer is 510 litres,

rant-tastic :rofl: I do like the way you constantly bleat on about how you've done this and how you've done that but never actually elaborate because it's all a big bloody secret...:thumbup:

make whatever assumptions you like, but I know for a fact that if you were to share how someone ran a reliable 250odd horse power from a 1.8T with a K03s rather than just make hollow sarcastic comments then Ben would be at the front of the queue to say how awesome (or should that be Impossible...:D) the work was

:)

Oh it's the other half of the cut and paste mod.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I don't want your praise and I never will do. :P

I just respond to ill informed statements that your other half seems to through around, mostly at people who have tried to do something for themselves, achieving something worth noting.