Fabia for

Rob.

SWMBO (Rach) Is finally getting serious about starting lessons again. This time She's determined to practise as I'll have held my license 3 years in September. It's all Russell's fault.. they guy with the white Rapid for sale at Gaydon! ;)

Short list.

£500 Perodua Nippa (any age but with full T&T)

(aim being to sell for almost what paid once passed)

£1200 VW Lupo 999cc (or £1000 Arosa)

(Aim to keep.. prob a 99/00 with 60 - 70k)

And.. of course...

£1-1200 Fabia! Here lies the thread question...

What Fabia does 1k buy.. and is it worth it?

I'm guessing 1.4mpi Classic on about 85k and from 00/01.

Would you get a 1.2htp for 1200? This would be preferable but I don't think it's possible.

Any views welcome on the current state of entry level Fabia ownership.. and, honestly, would the Lupo be a better buy at this price?

Thanks

Rob.

Edited by reflex88

£1150 bought my brother a 131k mile Fabia SDI on an X plate, with a broken dogbone mount, leaking rear brake balance valve thing, and leaking shock absorbers.. :D Total cost to get the car roadworthy and fixed was about £250 so we actually spent £1400.. starts to look a bit expensive then :(

How about a Felicia? You could get a decent late plate low mileage one for less that that. They also hold their value very well.

It's not out of the question and we did have a look. The Fabia's just preferable if a good one can be obtained for the price.

Problem with the Fabia though is that for the money you are looking at spending you will be looking at the rougher end of the market.

I had the same deliberation when buying my SWMBO's car and we went with the Felicia, basic mechanicals, cheap servicing less than 100 quid for a cambelt at our preffered indie, and the spec is generous, on SWMBO's Felicia she has 'leccy windows, heated and adjustable mirrors, PAS, ABS, front fogs, height adjustable drivers seat etc.

It is 1.6 Felicia on a T plate, 48,000 miles on the clock when we got it 3 years ago 2 owners full stamped up service history and does around 400 mile to the tank of mixed urban and rural driving.

In 3 years and 20,000 mies all it has needed is a brake pipe for the MOT a new battery and an ignition barrel all for a 900 pound purchase price.

Sound value for money in my opinion.

may be a long shot, but in october il have my fabia Y reg 1.4MPI for sale for around £1000, its on 59,000 miles at the moment, had new gearbox and clutch 2000 miles ago, also a new radiator.

Really can't argue with that! Plans, they are a changing! ;)

Also no hassle with electric power steering pumps and the Fabia's weak suspension. I really like the Lupo and Arosa too but for VFM I love the Felicia plus they are nice and easy to reverse with really large back windows and good visability something that my wife really struggles with I have even put reversing sensors on it for her :rofl::rolleyes:

Right, a little homework under my belt..

Lupo costs exactly the same to insure as mpi fabia. SDi lump adds about £300 to used price over MPi.

Felicia costs... a hole hundred more to insure, regardless of spec and engine. I thought this may have been lack of ABS, but quote on ABS models came out the same!

Felicia's are plentiful, but harder to find with ABS, AirBag & PAS.. limits you to SLXi and GLXi as far as I can tell..

If this thread gets much more Felicia'ish I may request it's moved over there.

JonJo.. I'll keep you in mind but think October maybe to late.

Right, a little homework under my belt..

Lupo costs exactly the same to insure as mpi fabia. SDi lump adds about £300 to used price over MPi.

Felicia costs... a hole hundred more to insure, regardless of spec and engine. I thought this may have been lack of ABS, but quote on ABS models came out the same!

Felicia's are plentiful, but harder to find with ABS, AirBag & PAS.. limits you to SLXi and GLXi as far as I can tell..

If this thread gets much more Felicia'ish I may request it's moved over there.

JonJo.. I'll keep you in mind but think October maybe to late.

One more Felicia comment :o you are right only comes in those spec levels due to the facelift I believe. That is not bad IMHO 100 pounds more for a car with a better spec and/or a diesel or 1.6 engine.

may be a long shot, but in october il have my fabia Y reg 1.4MPI for sale for around £1000, its on 59,000 miles at the moment, had new gearbox and clutch 2000 miles ago, also a new radiator.

Isn't that a bit cheap? or is it low spec?

My 2001 1.4 16v Comfort 96,000 mile Fabia (cost me £2k, but now worth a lot less than that, frigging recession!) isn't something I would buy again.

At a guess its worth maybe £1.5k to someone who knows nothing, but to a trained eye a lot less, putting it into your price range.

For that you get a leaking steering rack, everything eletric (windows, mirrors, A/C (and central locking in the wet)) broken, an engine with a massive thrist for oil, starting issues (could be a temp sensor), knackered bushes, knocking something suspension related.

The car design is great, but for that kinda money I would look somewhere else personally. Try a FIAT Punto mk2 maybe, not too bad, albeit a bit spartan (but at least it won't break), same to insure as the Fabia and just as crash test safe. Quite a few about for that money as they were cheap when new.

the lupo will be more expensive to insure, but is probably a better car all round than a fabia, and they are easier to park too which is great for novices

The Lupo is basically a shortened Polo. The Fabia is based on the next generation of Polo, so it is a more modern car.

I used to have a Lupo 1.0SE and a Fabia Comfort 1.9TDi combi. Both great cars, but the Lupo had better qualltiy trim, plastics etc. If you want a car just for shorter journeys and driving in town then go for the Lupo. If you need more space (the Lupos boot is tiny) or do longer triips go for the Fabia.

Edited by JulieD

Well, to round up..

Fabia looks a little out of reach for her.. We could get one but wouldn't be where the smart money is.

Arosa's seem to hold their value stupidly well, making the Lupo the favourable version for a tiny bit more cost.

Felicia would be the car of choice it seems now, although a hundred more to insure than a Lupo, getting ABS and an air bag is worth it, and with a little luck the lower purchase cost will offset the insurance..

Thanks to all for your comments!

If its any use my Fabia is on Ebay at the mo, its got no reserve as I want it gone as Iv bought my new car. Im gettin rid as we are having a baby and have 2 dogs so the car isnt big enough and we need a diesel as Im up and down the motorway every day. Iv put the starting price as £800. The title of my auction calls it a Fabia 1.4 with Golf GTi alloys. Theres nowt wrong with the car to my knowledge and it costs the same to insure as the Arosa I had before. It may be worth watching!

Arosa / Lupo is a great car, perfect for a learner. Me and two of my mates have had them all with the following faults, pedal box is £££. Door straps (small car with big doors they can click), pedal box (its designed to crumple in a crash but the cluch pedal snaps off over time - feels like a sponge), brake switch on pedal box (controls brake lights), temp sender unit to the water temp display in dash. Have a look on clublupo for more info.

If its any use my Fabia is on Ebay at the mo, its got no reserve as I want it gone as Iv bought my new car. Im gettin rid as we are having a baby and have 2 dogs so the car isnt big enough and we need a diesel as Im up and down the motorway every day. Iv put the starting price as £800. The title of my auction calls it a Fabia 1.4 with Golf GTi alloys. Theres nowt wrong with the car to my knowledge and it costs the same to insure as the Arosa I had before. It may be worth watching!

Is that the black one with the mk5 gti wheels and lexus back lights?

I've already seen that, and If I'm completely honest... the minute I saw the wheels and lights I ruled it out.. Didn't even read the discription in depth.

You'll get more if you put the original wheels back on and the original back lights. Even if you don't have the Skoda wheels trims. People buying in this end of the market don't want mods.. especially ones that mean future maintenance (tyre) costs will be high.. That way you can sell the wheels separate to the car and even if you only get £50 for the wheels, I gaurentee it'll be £50 more in total (on top of what you get for the car) then selling them on the car.

Not having a go, just offering a helpful hint.. original looking cars always sell better and quicker for more money! :) I'm your average customer ;)

EDIT: Just read the description and it sounds like a sweet buy, and you have the original lights and wheels.. I strongly advise you fit them all and take new pictures! :) It'll sell quicker too!

Edited by reflex88

Arosa / Lupo is a great car, perfect for a learner. Me and two of my mates have had them all with the following faults, pedal box is £££. Door straps (small car with big doors they can click), pedal box (its designed to crumple in a crash but the cluch pedal snaps off over time - feels like a sponge), brake switch on pedal box (controls brake lights), temp sender unit to the water temp display in dash. Have a look on clublupo for more info.

Pedal box is FOC from VW :)

This one and This one I found having a brief look on auto trader, But i suspect you have seen em already:thumbup:

Another thought the last Felicia that was produced i believe was the MAGIC spec that had all the extras on them,some were even fitted with air con:)