Boot space

The Plumber

Hi aerofurb,

Your Snow-monsters on the line this week is it not? Not long now.:D

Thanks for the update on the French forum; like the idea of using the adjustable luggage hooks to hold the floor cover up while you access the spare. Not thought of that one!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is indeed Week 43 so hopefully at some stage it'll roll off the production line.

Wonder how long it actually takes to build one, start to finish? [The aeroplane in my avatar took two of us a total of 4000 hours spread over 8 years....:eek: ]

Hadn't noticed the luggage hooks - good spot!

Read somewere within a 24 hour period but how accurate that is I don't know and to some extent define build.

Start from nothing or from a mass of pre-assembled components; bodyshell, engine & gearbox etc.

Going onto things that fly, a couple of friends of mine has been on and off mainly in their spare time restoring a Spitfire; been at it since end of 2002, probably 2011 before it may take to the air again. Been on the ground since the mid fifties.

Read somewere within a 24 hour period but how accurate that is I don't know and to some extent define build.

Start from nothing or from a mass of pre-assembled components; bodyshell, engine & gearbox etc.

Going onto things that fly, a couple of friends of mine has been on and off mainly in their spare time restoring a Spitfire; been at it since end of 2002, probably 2011 before it may take to the air again. Been on the ground since the mid fifties.

Forgot to ask at Autostadt how long it took to assemble a Golf but from the look of the production line, it could well be about 24 hours.

On matters aviation, I have friends who took 20 years to homebuild an aeroplane, but it is generally much quicker now with quick-build kits. Incidentally, many of the best of these kits are from the Czech republic.

I was in Mlada Boleslav at the Octavia and Fabia factory last week, and our guide told us it took roughly 24 hours to build an Octavia. The rough numbers were: 10 hours pressing and welding, 11 hours in the paint shop/ anti corrosive treatment, and 3-4 hours for final assembly.

I saw two blue RHD Octy Vrs cars being put together, so maybe they are going to members of this forum :)

Can someone compare the boot space on the Yeti to that of the old Freelander. I've got my test drive booked for a couple of weeks time, but looking at some of the photos i am concerned that it is smaller.

That's a bit disappointing. Boot space considerably less than my Fab saloon.

I would have thought this vehicle would have gone down a storm with 2-up outdoor/camping fratenity. Especially, in France, where this type of vehicle is in vogue.

Shame the boot space isn't bigger.

Nick

I have just had a 3 day test with a Honda CR-V and I have 3 day test with a Yeti next month. I have to say the CR-V is quite a bit longer than the Yeti and the boot is totally brilliant. No lip, massive and the rear seats slide forward even more than the Yeti making the boot amazing. even has a full spare wheel and a lot of storage space underneath the floor.

In fact I wouldn't bother looking any further if it wasn't for the firm ride, the Honda handles brilliantly but on bad roads jars a bit and picks up a lot of road noise.

In about 4 weeks when I get the Yeti if its got the ride and refinement some say it has and can match the Honda's pace and handling - it may well go some way to make up for the smaller boot and be well and truly back in the game!

Skoda are really missing a trick compared to the Yeti's main opponent the Qashqai, at least that comes as a +2 with a much bigger boot if thats what you need, for a modest increase in rear overhang. Fancy a Yeti Plus anyone?

I have just had a 3 day test with a Honda CR-V and I have 3 day test with a Yeti next month. I have to say the CR-V is quite a bit longer than the Yeti and the boot is totally brilliant. No lip, massive and the rear seats slide forward even more than the Yeti making the boot amazing. even has a full spare wheel and a lot of storage space underneath the floor.

In fact I wouldn't bother looking any further if it wasn't for the firm ride, the Honda handles brilliantly but on bad roads jars a bit and picks up a lot of road noise.

In about 4 weeks when I get the Yeti if its got the ride and refinement some say it has and can match the Honda's pace and handling - it may well go some way to make up for the smaller boot and be well and truly back in the game!

Skoda are really missing a trick compared to the Yeti's main opponent the Qashqai, at least that comes as a +2 with a much bigger boot if thats what you need, for a modest increase in rear overhang. Fancy a Yeti Plus anyone?

Actually, the more compact dimensions were one of the attractions of the Yeti to me.

The total length of car and a trailer will be a bit shorter than a CR-V/Qashqai + 2 and on its own the Yeti will be easier in town.

Not sure about the Qashqai +2, but does the CR-V really have more room than the Yeti with the back seats rolled up ie 1580litres or removed ie 1760litres (1485 and 1665 respectively with spare wheel)??

Very disappointing indeed. The boot is tiny and spoils an otherwise great car. The boot is half the size of the Octavia combi, neverminfd what the litres say. It is definitely not something for families withchildren because, as others have pointed out, you can hardly fit a stroller in the boot. Yes, of course you can take the seats out, but I think Skoda is missling a point here.

If you put a larger boot onto the Snow-Monster you would end up back at the beginning an Octy Scout.

So if you need a bigger boot buy the Scout; will do most things the Yeti can do except crawl down hill in neutral and you might catch the front and back that bit more off-road.

It is definitely not something for families withchildren because, as others have pointed out, you can hardly fit a stroller in the boot. Yes, of course you can take the seats out, but I think Skoda is missling a point here.

Does that mean that nothing in the Golf/Focus/Astra/Civic bracket is for families either?

Very disappointing indeed. The boot is tiny and spoils an otherwise great car. The boot is half the size of the Octavia combi, neverminfd what the litres say. It is definitely not something for families withchildren because, as others have pointed out, you can hardly fit a stroller in the boot. Yes, of course you can take the seats out, but I think Skoda is missling a point here.

I think tiny is an exaggeration, as the Plumber says if you need a bigger boot get an Octavia!

In order for the Yeti to have a much bigger boot and retain the interior space it would need to be a much larger car and then would be in a different market segment altogether,

I think both the Roomster and Yeti give a remarkable blend of praactical interior/boot space for a car which isn't actually that long and it's one of the things that attracts me to them.

Over the years I've been trading down in size at one point from an Espace to an A6 to an A Class Merc.

Then went up to Golf. Yeti is about same as Golf in size, so it's ideal for me, plus SUK will be offering DSG + 4wd combo, which VW will not for the Golf. Tiguan is a tad big and clumsy looking imho and their auto option is normal torque converter type.

Like everyone says, if you need a bigger boot buy a bigger car (Scout)..

I really can't understand this comment. We chose the Yeti because it offered a bigger and more usable (and flexible) load space than the Golf-sized hatchbacks mentioned above, and indeed the Qashqai which we also looked at. But it was still Golf-sized and with broadly similar fuel consumption and emissions. We simply wouldn't have wanted anything bigger (or more expensive/thirsty) so far from missing a trick, I think Skoda have spotted a niche here and filled it very satisfactorily, rather than making a "me too" CR-V/RAV-4/Tiguan.

Incidentally there are people in the Beetle club with children, and the boot space in that is about half that of the Yeti with the seats up!

Mark

If you want a 4x4 with a big boot area, add the X-Trail to your list. My grandson's stroller is lost in the space.

I think that anyone buying a new car should have a tick list of "essentials" and "nice to haves". If boot size is important then a Yeti may be low on the list (I could fit 6 hefty men and their kit in the back of my Land Rover 110 (or 15 sheep))

I see the Yeti as a "downsize" but it has more power, drives better, seems to be quieter and more comfortable for long journeys, has dual control air con as standard, Bluetooth, Isofix, reverse alarm and so on.

What people take for granted in 2009 were expensive extras in 2003 or just non existent. Automatic parallel parking - what next? Soon the Driving Test will consist of tests to confirm the computer literacy of the driver.

As to the boot size, my grandson's stroller will fit with room to spare. Mind you some of today's buggies would need a motorcycle trailer to carry them.

:) stirred some discussion here. There are many things I like about the Yeti, and the only let down for me was the bootspace. When I originally read the specs I thought that 416 litres was absolutely adequate. When I saw the car in person for the first time I was very surprised to see that the boot was actually very small. Indeed, tha car I saw had a full size spare, so that probably contributes to my impression.

The Octavia Scout is very nice, however it costs 20% more then the Yeti in my country, has aless thrilling interior, and does not look as good as the Yeti. I still have not ditched the Yeti as an option, but I'll have to think twice about the boot space...

:) stirred some discussion here. There are many things I like about the Yeti, and the only let down for me was the bootspace. When I originally read the specs I thought that 416 litres was absolutely adequate. When I saw the car in person for the first time I was very surprised to see that the boot was actually very small. Indeed, tha car I saw had a full size spare, so that probably contributes to my impression.

The Octavia Scout is very nice, however it costs 20% more then the Yeti in my country, has aless thrilling interior, and does not look as good as the Yeti. I still have not ditched the Yeti as an option, but I'll have to think twice about the boot space...

Interesting that the Scout costs that much more where you are. If you compare (Diesel 140) the Scout to the similarly equipped Yeti SE then your saving about £1600 which of the top of my head must be about 8-9%.

Regard boot space try find a demo or stock vehicle that a dealer could show you without the spare; think you will notice the difference.

Does anyone know why there seems to be a plastic box riveted to the boot floor on the right side. Looks really cheap and tacky. Only noticed it from underneath while looking at a Yeti today. Had a look at a few more and they all seem to have it....

Does anyone know why there seems to be a plastic box riveted to the boot floor on the right side. Looks really cheap and tacky. Only noticed it from underneath while looking at a Yeti today. Had a look at a few more and they all seem to have it....

The box holds the "tools", tow hook, compressor etc..:)

I just received a brochure from Ford on their Kuga. It makes interesting comparison. Boot Space with 5 seats up is 360 and with seats down is 1355. So the Yeti's boot ain't that bad after all!

I think the problem is not cubic capacity but shape. The Yeti's boot is narrow but deep and most people prefer a wide and long loading platform. So go buy tall lugage!

My two TVRs had a platform behind the seats for luggage. The seats did not tip so it was impossible to load a suitcase of any reasonable size. The answer was old pillowcases stuffed with the clothes and plastic bags for the accessories. It Worked!

Just for comparison, the Kuga starts at £ 20,445 for the 2ltr 2 wheel drive and £22,445 for the 4x4. The trim being somewhere between the S and the SE. So the vagon of the volks is better value than the car for the masses! And isn't the Kuga small inside!!

And isn't the Kuga small inside!!

It's a Tardis in reverse. I thought the exact same thing when I sat in one.

I must admit the boot space is the one concern I have with the Yeti having been used to an Octavia estate.

However as we onl;y have two children my plan for holidays is to remove the centre rear seat and stick a large bag there instead.

Also don't forget the seats slide forward which does increase the boot space significantly.