REVO VRS CR 170 Remap

Has anyone had any dealings with Revo, or got anymore information on their CR Remap.

Their website is claiming gains of +15bhp and +44 Torque, doesnt seem very much for £400 worth of remap!! Especially when they claim the PD engine in a Seat is 191bhp and 289 Torque as standard, with gains up to 214bhp and 325 torque.

Yeah I got one - tad underwhemed really

no way is it 450 NM more like 405 NM (approx 300 lb/ft)

Still a hefty amount of torque and 200ps too?

Surely figures don't mean Jack (to coin a phrase), unless you just like boasting about figures.

I'd want the difference to be in the driving experience rather than big numbers.

Inexeng above - are you underwhelmed by the increase in the figures, or the increase in the driving experience, if it's the latter then I'd say it's not worth shelling out for.

Amazes me how underwhelmed people are with their maps - I have to say, I've been incredibly impressed with mine!

I only said "TAD" underwhelmed Jim

I just haven't been on a good long run with it to have some fun :thumbup:

When you drive a car with 70bhp then get into a car with 100bhp you think wow what a difference :D

so going from 170 to 200 I expected the same wow factor :confused:

perhaps I'm getting old :rofl:

I sure fuel econ is better already

Surely figures don't mean Jack (to coin a phrase), unless you just like boasting about figures.

I'd want the difference to be in the driving experience rather than big numbers.

Inexeng above - are you underwhelmed by the increase in the figures, or the increase in the driving experience, if it's the latter then I'd say it's not worth shelling out for.

Sorry I don't care about numbers really

No I would STILL recommend a map, but TRY before you buy is the best way :thumbup:

When you drive a car with 70bhp then get into a car with 100bhp you think wow what a difference :D

so going from 170 to 200 I expected the same wow factor :confused:

Except that 70 to 100 is 43% more power whereas 170 to 200 is only 18% more. Why the confusion?

Except that 70 to 100 is 43% more power whereas 170 to 200 is only 18% more. Why the confusion?

Thanks for the maths lesson :rolleyes:

I hated my school maths teacher too :rofl:

You would never guess I'm an Electronics Engineer and did higher maths for the Degree :rofl:

Well if you only get 1 extra bhp and 1 extra torque then the driving experience isn't going to improve much is it either? The figures go hand in hand with the driving experience for most people, i.e. more power + more torques = better experience.

Have you got it and if so what do you think of it?

I've got the Bluefin installed now after a very unhappy trial with a Tunit box.

I wanted an upgrade that I could fit and if necessary remove myself (for servicing etc)

Because of the way the Tunit box works (frigs values going to and from the ECU) there was all sorts of faults getting thrown up by the engine management when scanning with VAGCOM, also the engine was very lumpy on starting from cold.

The Bluefin experience:

1. I spoke to a great chap @ superchips called Joe who reassured me regarding a few queries I had after being bitten by Tunit. The other reason that I spoke to him rather than ordering off the internet is that if you call them and mention the Briskoda forum then you get a 10% discount!!!!

2. Ordered Bluefin 3pm on Wednesday, arrived 11am Thursday morning.

3. Uploaded the original map from my car onto Bluefin (takes a round 10-15 mins)

4. Connected to their server and registered my unit (this also uploads a copy of my original map for safekeeping)

5. I had only just disconnected the Bluefin from my PC when I got a text message through saying my remap was ready to download (they quote upto 8 working hours for a response, this was more like 30 seconds)

6. Connected to their server and downloaded my new map.

7. Downloaded the new map into my car (10 mins)

End result: (without too many numbers!!)

From taking the Bluefin out of the box to having a huge smile can be done in less than 1 hour.

I've ended up with a car that pulls and pulls from very low down the revs all the way to red (if needed) with no flat spots. Much more responsive and fun to drive.

An INCREASE of 4.5 mpg on my everyday driving route.

Importantly for me, as and when required I can remove the remap and reinstall my original map which is stored on my Bluefin. Also if I didn't like the response of the particular remap which was sent to me then Superchips have a number of different ones which can be sent via PC to the Bluefin unit.

All this can be done on your driveway/garage - there is no need to travel to a tuners 100's of miles away.

As I said - ticks all the boxes. VERY IMPRESSED :D

Just one thing, if you think spending sub £400 will turn your diesel car into a £200,000 hypercar then you WILL be dissappointed. If you expect very noticeable gains in drivability and even gains in your MPG then you'll love it.

And you'll have the grin factor because you've done it yourself!!!!:D:D:D

Hope this helps

Ali

PS - I don't work for or get paid by Superchips!!

Edited by Ali_Wright

I wanted an upgrade that I could fit and if necessary remove myself (for servicing etc)

Because of the way the Tunit box works (frigs values going to and from the ECU) there was all sorts of faults getting thrown up by the engine management when scanning with VAGCOM, also the engine was very lumpy on starting from cold.

The Bluefin experience:

1. I spoke to a great chap @ superchips called Joe who reassured me regarding a few queries I had after being bitten by Tunit. The other reason that I spoke to him rather than ordering off the internet is that if you call them and mention the Briskoda forum then you get a 10% discount!!!!

2. Ordered Bluefin 3pm on Wednesday, arrived 11am Thursday morning.

3. Uploaded the original map from my car onto Bluefin (takes a round 10-15 mins)

4. Connected to their server and registered my unit (this also uploads a copy of my original map for safekeeping)

5. I had only just disconnected the Bluefin from my PC when I got a text message through saying my remap was ready to download (they quote upto 8 working hours for a response, this was more like 30 seconds)

6. Connected to their server and downloaded my new map.

7. Downloaded the new map into my car (10 mins)

From taking the Bluefin out of the box to having a huge smile can be done in less than 1 hour.

I've ended up with a car that pulls and pulls from very low down the revs all the way to red (if needed) with no flat spots. Much more responsive and fun to drive.

Importantly for me, as and when required I can remove the remap and reinstall my original map which is stored on my Bluefin. Also if I didn't like the response of the particular remap which was sent to me then Superchips have a number of different ones which can be sent via PC to the Bluefin unit.

All this can be done on your driveway/garage - there is no need to travel to a tuners 100's of miles away.

As I said - ticks all the boxes. VERY IMPRESSED :D

Just one thing, if you think spending sub £400 will turn your diesel car into a £200,000 hypercar then you WILL be dissappointed. If you expect very noticeable gains in drivability and even gains in your MPG then you'll love it.

And you'll have the grin factor because you've done it yourself!!!!:D:D:D

Hope this helps

Ali

PS - I don't work for or get paid by Superchips!!

Cheers - great review.

Ali

Is yours is a PD 170

we were asking / talking about maps for the CR 170

glad you got an extra 4.5mpg but as you said elsewhere your car only averaged 38 anyway

I've also read on here somewhere that SC now CHARGE for this remap change/upgrade ?

I am generally now in total agreement with you about my Bluefin :thumbup:

having now driven with it for 1000 miles or so - At last I'm smiling

Its noticeable all over the rev range and round town an extra 2-3 mpg so far for me :thumbup:

Cheers

Andy

Ali

Is yours is a PD 170

we were asking / talking about maps for the CR 170

glad you got an extra 4.5mpg but as you said elsewhere your car only averaged 38 anyway

I've also read on here somewhere that SC now CHARGE for this remap change/upgrade ?

I am generally now in total agreement with you about my Bluefin :thumbup:

having now driven with it for 1000 miles or so - At last I'm smiling

Its noticeable all over the rev range and round town an extra 2-3 mpg so far for me :thumbup:

Cheers

Andy

Glad you're liking you're Bluefin too.

My car is the PD and not the CR, but I'm commenting on the overall experience with SC as much as anything else.

Regarding MPG, Day to day I do alot of town driving but I've just done two identical return runs to manchester airport and thats what I've based those figures on. 42 without Bluefin. and 46.5 with. Cars only done 15k so I'm hoping for more improvements over time anyhow.

If changing the map from the original there would be no charge from SC (ie. smoke or poor response etc) within a certain time from date of purchase - which you would expect. If you mod your car or just fancy a different map in just to try it then I would assume there would be a charge for that. Although they did say if I changed my car within 12 months of purchasing the Bluefin then they would swap the unit over to my new car if compatible.

If I bought a bluefin for my current vRS 170 PD, would it be of any use for my next potential car (Yeti 170 CR)? Would be great if I could remap 2 cars for the price of one, otherwise I'll just wait.

REVO`s reply to my question about the figures!

"We’re only quoting the peak increases which in the grand scheme of things mean very little. If you look at the power and torque graphs you’ll see there’s a bigger increase in both lower down the rev range. This is the difference you actually feel on the road! It’s a great engine with software on it, the peak power increase tells you very little… peak numbers are really only useful for pub bragging rights, however that’s typically what people want to hear (me included!). So you’re aware we offer a 30day money back guaranty on all our software!

I’ve seen well over 200BHP on them with Revo software! It’s all dependant on the dyno as well though."

If I bought a bluefin for my current vRS 170 PD, would it be of any use for my next potential car (Yeti 170 CR)? Would be great if I could remap 2 cars for the price of one, otherwise I'll just wait.

Nope - it's tied to your original ECU, so you'll need to fork out some more bucks to get another car mapped. I think you send your unit back to SC and they reset it for you - you do get a discount but not a huge one :)

Firstly, and importantly, you can only map one car at a time.

If you map your Vrs now and change to a Yeti within 12 months then......

Use your Bluefin handset to reset your Vrs to standard factory map.

Contact superchips who will then reset your Bluefin handset.

Read your new car's ecu.

Connect to Superchips via their control panel (very easy) to download the new car's factory map.

wait for text/email saying new map is ready.

Connect to superchips via control panel again for automatic map upload.

Connect Bluefin to new car and load new map to new car's ecu.

Easy stuff. - Maps within 12 months of buying Bluefin are free (unless they have had a very recent change of policy - but I don't think so as this is one of their sellings points)

Got mine for my golf gti edition 30, sold it (the car) and had superchips reset my Bluefin handset - read wife's new Touran 1.9tdi bluemotion (105 bhp Dpf) and that's now running a superchips map. It made a massive difference to the way the Touran drives and it's now on a par with a standard 140 bhp 2.0tdi touran (but more economical)

The big caveat is that Superchips must have a map for the new vehicle your buying.

For example, bluefin is not available for any of the old 1.8t petrol engined VAG cars (but is for 1.8tfsi I believe)

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Nope - it's tied to your original ECU, so you'll need to fork out some more bucks to get another car mapped. I think you send your unit back to SC and they reset it for you - you do get a discount but not a huge one :)

They reset over the net in minutes - no need to send the handset anywhere, new maps within the first 12 months are free :)

Hmm, the 12 months thing is news to me, interesting..... :)

Yep, really good if you want to go stage1 first, an then fit and exhaust and induction system for free stage2 upgrade and then maybe the uprated fuel pump mod for a stage 2+ map. (TFSI)

I think there may be a small charge for the stage 2+ map (but I may be wrong) - best check with them before deciding ;)