Fitting a towbar to my Fabia 03 HTP 64

Hi there, i would first like to say how great this forum is, everyones help and enthusiasm is conforting for skoda owners :) So basically...

Thinking of fitting a towbar to my Fabia 2003 HTP 64 and has anyone here done it? can i do it by myself with basic tools? i.e no welding... and where is the best place to purchase the kit/towbar?

thanks guys, your reply will be most appreciated.

Kris

Hi there, i would first like to say how great this forum is, everyones help and enthusiasm is conforting for skoda owners :) So basically...

Thinking of fitting a towbar to my Fabia 2003 HTP 64 and has anyone here done it? can i do it by myself with basic tools? i.e no welding... and where is the best place to purchase the kit/towbar?

thanks guys, your reply will be most appreciated.

Kris

1.2 NA engines are perfect for towing

Edited by P13SST
Cant be assed

You would be putting the rest of us road users at risk IMHO, plus your clutch would last a week.

I think before making statements like that regarding the fitting of a towbar, it would have been better to understand why the towbar is being fitted.

The post above doesnt mention that the tow bar will be used for towing large caravans, of trailers. So why do you think it would be putting other road users at risk? If the fitting of a towbar was not safe then one wouldnt be available and the car would not have been given a towing capacity

As long as whatever is being towed is within the max towing limits given on the VIN plate there should be no problems.

The car would be fine towing a small trailer with waste in down to the tip, or on a camping weekend away, or for towing small sailing dinghies as long as a degree of common sense is applied the everything will be fine.

I regularly used to take the garden waste down to the tip, and also tow a small sailing dinghy around behind my first car which was a 1.2 Vauxhall Nova (Yes I started in a Nova!!) and never had any problems.

Hello matey, ignore the above pointless comments that don't help you.

I fitted a towbar to my previous car which was a 1.4 16v fabia, and used this for motocross, and was perfectly fine.

I cant remember which exact kit i got but a simple search on google will find you loads.

The job to fit was relatively simple, the kit I got replaced the rear impact bar, so it was just a case of removing the rear bumber (a few torx screws), then removing the rear impact bar which if i remember was 4 bolts. Then put it back together.

Depending if it comes with an electrical plug for lightboards etc. this just splices into the rear light wiring, again pretty simple.

The only downside to the tow bar I got was that you had top cut a little slot out of the bumper at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

I'm not trying to offend, but I have seen people get optimistic once a tow-bar has been fitted. I have also seen a 1.2 Clio's clutch fail reversing up a slight hill with less that the 'maximum' load.

You would be putting the rest of us road users at risk IMHO, plus your clutch would last a week.

This is one of the most stupid replies to a post I have ever seen !

Ok if the guy had said he was towing a 3.5 ton trailer then possably unsafe BUT !

Radiotwo

This is one of the most stupid replies to a post I have ever seen !

Ok if the guy had said he was towing a 3.5 ton trailer then possably unsafe BUT !

Radiotwo

Looking through your replies to other posts everything seems to be stupid or ridiculous...

And as I stated "In my honest opinion"

Looking through your replies to other posts everything seems to be stupid or ridiculous...

And as I stated "In my honest opinion"

I'm with you on this one!

And RadioTwo has made the odd... blaring mistake... then avoided the thread :rolleyes:

Fantastic responses here, thanks guys and coincidently I will only be towing a lightweight 125 motocross bike so I think this will be fine and the fact that I can fit it myself is even better, but how about a two bar that doesn’t leave a hole in my bumper? Any thoughts guys?

Fantastic responses here, thanks guys and coincidently I will only be towing a lightweight 125 motocross bike so I think this will be fine and the fact that I can fit it myself is even better, but how about a two bar that doesn’t leave a hole in my bumper? Any thoughts guys?

Yhe genuine skoda bar fits great, and is very simple to do.

I fitted one to my Fabia vRS (I know all the issues with fitting to the vRS) and it required a very small cut out of the bottom lip of the bumper and with the standard bumper I would expect this cut to be even smaller.

When I sold to car, I removed the towbar and there were no visible signs from the back of the car that the bumoer had been cut, unless you crawl under the car.

• 8 months later...

Hello matey, ignore the above pointless comments that don't help you.

I fitted a towbar to my previous car which was a 1.4 16v fabia, and used this for motocross, and was perfectly fine.

I cant remember which exact kit i got but a simple search on google will find you loads.

The job to fit was relatively simple, the kit I got replaced the rear impact bar, so it was just a case of removing the rear bumber (a few torx screws), then removing the rear impact bar which if i remember was 4 bolts. Then put it back together.

Depending if it comes with an electrical plug for lightboards etc. this just splices into the rear light wiring, again pretty simple.

The only downside to the tow bar I got was that you had top cut a little slot out of the bumper at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

I've got the same "problem". Fitting a towbar to my Fabia 1.4 and it looks like normanmatthew has the answer everyone including myself is looking for :D

I stuck my hand up (I was kindly given a towbar when I bought the car) and thought there is no chance that'll fit!!!!

the kit I got replaced the rear impact bar

Solved :D

I will picture and post in the next week. But thanks again for your question and answer :D

Tip: The angle bezel supplied with push-in sensors can be laid against the bumper to see they're needed. They could also be attached "just in case" as needing to do so after the job is done is hard work. If it's not required just push sensor out a little and break the angle bezel then push sensor back into bumper. Ensure you leave enough cable free to push sensor out far enough to remove the bezel. Use snips to break.

nc1qxh.jpg

1. Pull off the centre latch cover then remove the 2 screws and 2 plastic nuts. The trim is still firmly held by 6 sprung clips and you'll need to use some force to free them. Both edge trims are also held firmly with 3 of these sprung clips. So again force and care is needed as I broke one and the clips stayed in place!. I used a tack leaver bar to get the clips out. The carpet trim is easy to pull out of the way.

10f59uw.jpg

2h5s2fn.jpg

346nlgy.jpg

99o4eh.jpg

2. Remove the rear light clusters by undoing the 4 nuts. Putting a rag between the cluster and bumper may help prevent scratching when pushing the cluster out.

2hwjts9.jpg

359wxv8.jpg

3. Now remove all trox screws. LEFT: 2 under light cluster. 2 under bumper. 4 under wheel arch (3 in mud flap and 1 just above the top mud flap screw). Same again for the RIGHT. Now carefully pull free the bumper from both left and right rear pannels.

2nqzh2h.jpg

2v2dw2e.jpg

33oqvci.jpg

fcr481.jpg

28lg96p.jpg

4. Remove the metal bumper. Remove the tape and underseal from the Towbar Mounting Holes. I didn't see a need to jack the car and remove wheels to complete this job.

ivjqx2.jpg

oswzls.jpg

2ushesi.jpg

2dl0viu.jpg

jgkygi.jpg

5. Slide the Towbar in (or follow manufacture instructions) and align bolts. Tighten when square. The bolt near the fuel down pipe is a bit tight for space but will go.

14loax2.jpg

6. Remove gromet from boot and pull through towbar electrics.

7. Using the screw holes. Find the centre of bumper and cut to accomodate towbar. In my case, 30mm each side of center line in base of bumper.

mhvrzc.jpg

Fitting Sensors.

1. I removed the black bumper trim as it's easier to measure and mark. Once measured put the trim back in place ready to drill. The actual bumper seems to have spaces ready for cutting but I ignored them! Just check that where you mark for cutting and sensor placement doesn't interfer with either the towbar or these pre formed areas. The drill supplied make easy work but will need the waste removeing after each cut. That means each skin cuts, rubber trim and plastic bumper.

dbm99d.jpg

24bvhfp.jpg

2. With all 4 holes cut lable the back of the bumper A, B, C, D and put the correct sensor in each hole. Put Angle Bezel on!

3. Small cable ties can tidy the job, remember to leave enough cable to allow the sensor to be pulled free if needed or adjustment of bezel. Offer the bumper upto the car and put cables over the top of the towbar and through into the boot via the access hole.

2btisx.jpg

154dfmq.jpg

e0svx5.jpg

15miwrn.jpg

4. Put bumper in place and then clip in each side by the wheel arch. Now start to put all screws back.

5yhg0o.jpg

5. Drill a 7mm hole in the access gromet and feed all cables through then place in access hole.

64kug3.jpg

6. Refit lights, tidy new cables and refit trim. Use a flat head screwdriver on the carpet trim to push clip home.

244o1dy.jpg

sp9hcy.jpg

The car should now be usable bar the fitting of the electrics.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I towed a Mk1 golf full of tools, on an a frame 260 miles when i moved house and had no problems at alleven got 35mpg out of the vrs. there is no type aprooval for a towbar on a vrs but all the holes are there etc... never managed to get the electrics working reliably though :(