Is Superb a bargain or is Octavia too expensive?

Hi,

Before placing an order for a Superb 170Cr Elegance with loads of added extras I simply had to consider an Octavia VRS to take the place of my "comfortably" specced Octy L&K.

Using both the "build your own" section on the website and laterally from the latest brochures, the price of an Octy VRs with Columbus, privacy and a few other extras is way up there with the price quoted for the Superb. Which is , as you well know (and a test drive proved to me) a far superior vehicle.

Ok, the looks are not to everyones taste but the questions I have are ..

Is the Octy becoming too expensive for what it is?

Or,

Is the Superb a veritable bargain considering the cost of an Audi A3 with very little except big wheels and leather costs the same?

You cant really compare an Octy vRS with a superb as the vRS is not the top model in the range. Adding options to a car is always more expensive than buying a car off the shelf with them in the standard spec. You really need to compare the superb elegance with an octy L&K as thats about the same spec wise as the superb elegance.

The L&K PD140 octy is £20,500

The Elegance PD140 Superb is £21,785

Difference: £1285

Considering the new superb is largely a stretched octavia, it could be argued that the superb is to expensive.

The difference is much narrower if you factor in the Columbus music system.

I was led to believe that the Superb is based on a stretched new Passat,, and we all like to add a few extras!!

Thanks for the link, makes great reading.. Better than the propoganda in the sales brochure.

I think GK has a point...as "user chooser" company car driver I was looking at the Superb 170 elegance and the 170 vRS estate with Columbus/Xenons etc...I wouldn't have considered an L and K.

Dan

Hi,comrades bought a superb last week and looked at the octavia and yes the octavia is a wonderful car tried the elegance 140bhp old shape and a great car,tried the new shape 1.9tdi and a little better than the old shape bit not a lot in it , but after testing the superb I knew it had to be the superb its a lot better in my opinion than the octavia and I had it for nearly the same price as the octavia.

YES the superb is a bargain but NO the octavia is not too expensive if you are comparing like for like , with the other manufacturers the octavia is still way cheaper and better equiped than its rivals the "thinking man's car" manufacturer!

Same here: user-chosen company car and before I heard of the Superb, was looking (hard) at the Octavia Combi RS 170 2.0 TDI.

But let's face it: this car is indeed overpriced compared to the Superb, especially when you're looking at lease price, where the Octy loses value dramatically as where the Superb holds it value more (not as much as a Beemer or Merc, but still). So you would have to be rather bonkers to go for the Octy. :D

Then again, all cars more or less like the RS have the same problem, it's inherent to the type of vehicle.

Depends what you want the car for chaps. The VRS has always been more aimed at the driving enthusiast, ie tuned and setup for better handling. Having been in a couple of Superbs (decent spec taxis) as they go round corners, the difference from a handling perspective is huge to my mind. That is is with a Oct I & II VRS. Great cars the Superbs are they are aimed at different driving styles, ie cruising motorway munching, relaxed a to b journeys in opulence, VRS on the other hand is screaming out for peddle to the metal. IMHO.

comrades just been to alton towers from near snowdon north wales,fantastic really brilliant drive in my new superb round trip 270 miles and an average of 56mph the amount of people were gawping at the car even the ones with the bm's and merc's one couple said it cant be a skoda they had a mondeo (no sorry it was a jag) talk about buying it for the badge!!!:thumbup:

When I wanted to buy a new car,I was almost 100% sure that it would be an Octavia RS TDI with many extras,but a day before placing the order I was playing a little on the Skoda website and I configured a Superb with the same engine,but will all extras,just for fun and I was expecting for something around 50.000 euros.When I actually saw the price I did another configuration dropping that webasto,leather and the sunroof and I was amazed that the price was the same as with the Octavia.Next day I ordered the Superb,without any hesitation.

I guess this extras really make the difference.I guess the Octavia has a very good price only on the lower spec and medium spec(can't remember their names).If you want many extras,there is another car called Superb.

Guys can someone spec/price me the equivalent Superb II with a CD 170 engine (ie same as diesel VRS), with all Elegance extras. Interested to see the comparison.

Found it in the Superb brochure :

2.0 TDI CR 170bhp 6spd DPF £22,685.00

2.0 TDI CR 170bhp 6spd DSG DPF £23,935.00

2.0 TDI CR 4x4 170bhp 6spd DPF £24,110.00

Edited by VRS-LE-OCT-II