PD170: 6th gear: a wall at 4K rpm

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it might be but it is not the case.

Eh? You've quoted 220km/h, or 132mph. I don't think you're doing too badly at all, given normal road conditions, tyre pressures, car load etc!

Or in other words - you haven't got a problem, so either maintain 220km/h for as long as you're able, or slow down a bit! ;)

Steve

Hi Steve,

the latter is the safest advice... indeed ;)

Anyway I remember I just let her filled with 1lt oil (yellow bling) and, perhaps, it's too much (I'll check it)...

Thank you,

Edited by Genoa1893

Hi Genoa

The 4000rpm wall is since the last update. VAG built in this "limiter" to protect the 170 PD engines.

Even with updated (or uprated) files the car will still run not much faster. Or you will need a long stretch of autobahn with the help of a slipstream or going downhill.

It is said though, that there is a later version that will not have this limiter anymore. But I only read about a few members that said so.

My car runs up to a little more than 4200 and will not go past this point unless I have a car in front of me or it will go slightly downhill. If so, I can still reach (if the autobahn is free enough) up to over 4500 (indicated). 4200 is about 4000 according to the EMFA.

Grts from the states

Mike

Thank you Mike,

I think that after vacations I'll take the car to Skoda Assistance. Meanwhile a local garage who checked that oil level was just fine, suggested me the possibility of some issue with diesel "fuel".

I'll give the circuit a good clean. BTW this morning I had some miles as a passenger on a small Seat Arosa TDI. Ok, ok, it's way lighter anyway it was way brisker and willing to move from still than my "cruiser"... are these the ****ing benefits of DPF????

Would you like some more happy-pills? How does the landscape look painted purple and orange? :rofl:

It's not. It's green when it's not covered in a pile of black soot having booooted my diesel and watched the speed increase to mach3.

Ok so I might exagerate but you get the idea. I run a diesel because it's cost effective and has plenty of power. Planes can carry on killing the environment. I know my contribution won't do that much harm and the running costs of a petrol vRS are madness.

Edited by Bigw2069
fixed quote

It's not. It's green when it's not covered in a pile of black soot having booooted my diesel and watched the speed increase to mach3.

Ok so I might exagerate but you get the idea. I run a diesel because it's cost effective and has plenty of power. Planes can carry on killing the environment. I know my contribution won't do that much harm and the running costs of a petrol vRS are madness.

Not so, my petrol vRS did pretty good on fuel, even while not driving with a light right foot. The whole "environment" is a non-issue, because private transport counts for "f*ck-all" (and that's a genuine technical term) for man-made CO2 production. And that's even before we start on the whole "the climate is changing because we're still on the way up from an ice age" argument.

Basically, diesel is boring. I've had a normal derv car, and I've has a so-called "performance" diesel. They both bored me. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a little run around for A-B then a nice car for enjoyment (because I enjoy driving, I don't own a car purely as transport). So I'm prepared to suffer the - in real terms - minor extra expense of running a car that uses petrol, handles well, allows me to enjoy the driving in the brief moments we can these days.

I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I don't go out every weekend using up police resources, I work hard every day. Aren't I allowed to do this with my car? Am I supposed to feel guilty for driving a performance petrol car these days?

Well f*ck the government, f*ck the hippies always on about this "green" bullsh*t. Choosing derv because it "helps the world" only means that have been suckered in by the propaganda and care more about what people think about you that what you think about yourself. But surely if you cared about what other people thought you wouldn't buy a Skoda? An interesting paradox...

This morning's rant has been brought to you by Kellog's GotNoFunkingSleepLastNight™, in association with Cadbury's ImRealingFunkingTired™

Not so, my petrol vRS did pretty good on fuel, even while not driving with a light right foot. The whole "environment" is a non-issue, because private transport counts for "f*ck-all" (and that's a genuine technical term) for man-made CO2 production. And that's even before we start on the whole "the climate is changing because we're still on the way up from an ice age" argument.

Basically, diesel is boring. I've had a normal derv car, and I've has a so-called "performance" diesel. They both bored me. I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford a little run around for A-B then a nice car for enjoyment (because I enjoy driving, I don't own a car purely as transport). So I'm prepared to suffer the - in real terms - minor extra expense of running a car that uses petrol, handles well, allows me to enjoy the driving in the brief moments we can these days.

I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I don't go out every weekend using up police resources, I work hard every day. Aren't I allowed to do this with my car? Am I supposed to feel guilty for driving a performance petrol car these days?

Well f*ck the government, f*ck the hippies always on about this "green" bullsh*t. Choosing derv because it "helps the world" only means that have been suckered in by the propaganda and care more about what people think about you that what you think about yourself. But surely if you cared about what other people thought you wouldn't buy a Skoda? An interesting paradox...

This morning's rant has been brought to you by Kellog's GotNoFunkingSleepLastNight™, in association with Cadbury's ImRealingFunkingTired™

Ah, yes… incoherent ramblings inspired by youthful naviety. A still tongue makes a wise head ;)

Ah, yes… incoherent ramblings inspired by youthful naviety. A still tongue makes a wise head ;)

I thought it was quite coherent, actually... and what exactly am I being naive about? That possibly we are being extorted all in name of "climate change"?

I thought it was quite coherent, actually... and what exactly am I being naive about? That possibly we are being extorted all in name of "climate change"?

Sometimes fact can be stranger than fiction, and your belief that climate change is a myth propogated by do-gooders and 'hippies' suggests you are having difficulties accepting the truth.

This denial is manifesting itself in unproductive rage, which 'allows' you to disassociate yourself from any responsibility, so you can carry on living your life in a bubble of immunity to any of the long-term consequences. It also hints at a certain amount of unprocessed guilt, which promotes the circle of rage outlined above.

That'll be £50 please ;)

No, I just refuse to believe what the mainstream media says about it when there is quite blatant suppressing of any evidence which seems to cast doubt on the charade.

And I'm quite happy with my rage, thankyouverymuch :)

Previous car was 2l 140ps petrol NA and current one is 2l 140ps turbo diesel.

Diesel takes hills much easier and overtaking is an exciting , quick experience.Petrol car struggled all round.

More noise on idle is the only demerit.

But being the son of a marine diesel engineer it is in my blood.Being beside a 2 stroke scavenged Polar diesel during the start up sequence was exciting , if loud.

Previous car was 2l 140ps petrol NA and current one is 2l 140ps turbo diesel.

Diesel takes hills much easier and overtaking is an exciting , quick experience.Petrol car struggled all round.

More noise on idle is the only demerit.

But being the son of a marine diesel engineer it is in my blood.Being beside a 2 stroke scavenged Polar diesel during the start up sequence was exciting , if loud.

Again, someone comparing a TURBO diesel to a NA petrol. A turbo petrol with 140bhp would have significantly more torque than the NA, and it's the torque that makes it easier to drive up a hill.

Of course, if driven properly then there's no reason why that 2.0 petrol should have been struggling - clue... you're in the wrong gear! :rofl:

God damn hippies

Mr Pot the black kettle is on line one for you :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quiet you - my hair is a damn sight shorter than when you saw me last! :rofl:

No, I just refuse to believe what the mainstream media says about it when there is quite blatant suppressing of any evidence which seems to cast doubt on the charade.

And I'm quite happy with my rage, thankyouverymuch

There's plenty of evidence that attempts to debunk the climate change 'myth' in the public domain, it's just that no one can say with any absolute certainty what the facts really are. Science is no longer the 'god of truth' it was once held up to be.

In my mind though, the salient fact that since the industrial revolution we have been pumping/guzzling/consuming vast and ever-increasing quantities of all kinds of unnatural substances, with no real consideration or knowledge of the effects these might have on the environment, speaks volumes.

To simply dismiss the claim that the climate change problem is 'man-made' seems disturbingly naive. Of course there are many, many, mitigating, and even unknown, factors, but come on… Do you honestly and firmly believe that humankind has nothing to do with it?

Anyway, I'm running out of puff. I'll just grab my copy of the Guardian, retreat to my tepee and smoke a peace pipe, while enjoying my lentil and brown rice salad. ;)

Do you honestly and firmly believe that humankind has nothing to do with it?

While I will accept that humans may have an impact, I believe that it's more to do with deforrestation than CO2 production, in conjunction with the world's natural cycles.

What I do object to, is being taxed to promote being green while inhabiting a tiny little island, while China are producing far more CO2 than even the US! And when the rest of the developing world catch us and all want cars (which Mr Tata has now started... thanks! :rolleyes:), things are going to get worse. I object to the blanket "petrol is evil, tax motorists" standing of the government.

Even though i own a fast 2.0T if i had to have a car with 100bhp i'd chose a TDI. I had a lend of a 1.6 octavia with approx 100bhp and compared to the PD105 the PD was a far nicer car to drive.

Even though i own a fast 2.0T if i had to have a car with 100bhp i'd chose a TDI. I had a lend of a 1.6 octavia with approx 100bhp and compared to the PD105 the PD was a far nicer car to drive.

What about a 1.2 turbo like in the new Polo?