2.0 TDi 4x4 Noise/Vibration?

I had a drone on my Scout, came in around 70 on light constant load, most noticable cruising on the motorway, it sounded a bit like tyre drone but the instant you declutched it went. transpired the rear diff had issues, no idea of costs but fixed under warranty

Stuart,

Have you had the Haldex serviced recently?.......

...some horror stories on VW Golf and TT forums of Haldex rear diffs going soon after a botched oil change (normally the mech drains the wrong bit and overfills the right bit as a result)

Niall

Stuart,

...some horror stories on VW Golf and TT forums of Haldex rear diffs going soon after a botched oil change (normally the mech drains the wrong bit and overfills the right bit as a result)

Niall

Got worse after a service but dealer has never cocked anything up on the last 4 cars, always excellent so will give them the benefit of doubt.They handled it perfectly as did Skoda. They have done haldex services on the last 4x4 without issues

Guest wilkopilko

Stuart,

Niall

I've never had the Haldex oil changed ... perhaps it's time I did.... :giggle:

Guest wilkopilko

The Haldex oil and filter is recommended to be changed at 40,000 mile intervals.

Cheers silver, good to see you still have your scout, I remember you from all them years ago! Yes, guilty as charged, never had it done but will now after reading some of these comments.

• 1 year later...

has there been any further info on this? my Octavia Scout is demonstrating the same booming resonance at 2300 - 2500 rpm, no warranty, best place to try?  guidance appreciated

• 1 year later...

has there been any further info on this? my Octavia Scout is demonstrating the same booming resonance at 2300 - 2500 rpm, no warranty, best place to try?  guidance appreciated

Ditto. Just driven back from Heathrow with wife/kids/luggage in the car and seemed appreciably worse. Of course, just out of the after-market warranty from the (independent) dealer...57 plate with 132k.

Seems to be only in top gear. Up to Heathrow on Thursday so will investigate further and report back. I also know I need new tyres so maybe that'll cure it...

Get the car with light load on the throttle & droning & then dip the clutch, if it continues its probably tyres / wheel bearings as they are the only things still turning at the same revs with similar load, the rear diff is still turning at the same revs but as its no longer under load the noise will go away, when my diff went it was noticeable that the noise was coming from the rear of the car & disappeared when you dipped the clutch, dealer diagnosed prob a diff on the test drive & proved to be the case BUT they rarely fail. If you suspect the diff after changing the tyres I would try an oil & filter change before shelling out for a diff & as they fail so rarely there will be s/hand ones around for not a lot

Ive had similar on another Skoda & that was caused by the inside of the rear tyres deforming so it looked like a threpenny bit on the inside, I think Saw Toothed is the name used but Ive never heard of those problems on a 4x4

When changing the tyres look for any uneven wear & also ask the tyre fitters to check wheels aren't buckled when they balance the wheels, its an easy visual check if you watch the inside of the wheel when balancing it. I had a drone on my Mk1 4x4 & that was a buckled after market wheel but std wheels are very strong sop you need to go something to buckle one.

Edited by Stuart_J

Stuart, thanks for your input and tips. To be honest, on the journey up yesterday it seemed fine. Noticeably quieter with the clutch depressed, but it would be anyway as the engine/drivetrain no longer have any work to do! I think the combination of four up (plus luggage) rather than just me coupled with a week of driving a brand new petrol Focus on hols just made it sound quite noisy!

Hopefully nothing to worry about. Due a service soon so will get it looked at by my trusted mechanic.

• 5 years later...