fabia 2? Scrappage

Hi all,

Am new to forum, it seems so helpful. I’ve had my Felicia from new for 11 years now. She is tired, and have to look at giving her a long term rest.. Thanks to Mr Darling! I wonder if you can advise me based on your experiences.

I would really like to get a New Fabia, and am considering 1.2. 12V 70 (trim level 2 purely because the equipment added at that level is mostly a necessity, now days). However money is tight. and although i do not do lots of motorway driving i need to be able to depend on it when i do. So i have looked at all the other deals and find that the Hyundai I10 top of range + adding metallic paint and ESP we come in far under the basic Fabia , even the I20 will have a much higher spec with there 5 year warranty. I have mostly been very happy with Skoda, and have encouraged others, whom have altered their opinion about Skoda’s old reputation, now they are also ‘Happy drivers’.

My concern is, with my Felicia, when driving on motorways, it really struggled up slopes and motorway hills, rest of traffic kept at 60-70, even with foot on the accelerator as far as it will go the only thing i could do was i would need to slow then go right down in gear use warning lights and slowly build up gears again. (first time was 6 months old, not had any car that would do this, or certainly not to that degree) obviously went to garage they changed coolant. But i must admit it always seemed to have this problem. Getting to the point, i realise 1.2.12v 3 cylinder is also not very powerful and less than my Felica but it is still a comparatively a biggish car. Has any one any experiences positive or negative? What do you think?

Ignore the scrappage scheme, you will get a far bigger discount selling privately and walking in with no P/ex. You will also benefit from some of the new deals, which you cannot get on the scrappage scheme. The scrappage 2K is deducted from the RRP of the car, not from any discount you can negotiate with the dealer. You could easily negotiate a 2K discount and be quids in with the money from selling your felly privately.

Thank You for reply and advice.

Your right in a way, if Felicia was a higher spec car, But my 11 year old (S reg) Felicia 1.3 although only done 45000.miles, would not be worth more than about £500. So at the moment i'm loking at paying approx £7800 + Srap for a Fabia 2. or do i go for a cheaper car ?

best thing to do is ignore the private sale, go in for the scrappage if you meet the criteria, that will get you a good base, and there is plenty of 0% apr deals available, expect a waiting period anything up to 6weeks or higher for a fabia. A higher grade of fabia trims holds its value alot better than the base levels, and careful on you engine choice the 1.4tdi with the low tax bracket is usualyl around £500 more in the resale stakes than the 1.9, crazy i know. In regards to car choice there is plenty available, i personally love my fabia and i have never reggreted buying it :D

Thank you Torque XLS X Cheap

I;m glad you like your fab it sounds a great mover, so would I!

I agree with you, private sale is out for many reasons, the cars ok, but i would be concerned that id have new owners knocking on my door etc. The car does meet the criteria. I researched and approached many dealers, none of them want to do 0% with scrappage, with scrappage i can get around 4.2% from Skoda Finance and i do have some deposit, or the rest was going to come from friendly bank manager!!! As for the wait thats ok. a nice local (ish) dealer has offered to let me use a car after i place the order. as far as the 1.4 TDI thats the one i would like but im affraid its out of my price budget at a push i could go for the 1.4 TDi trim 1. which brings me back to my problem which is a better car, with my budget fab 2 1.2.12V 70bhp or fab 1 1.4 TDi 70bhp or go for thr Hyandi i10 with the lot and ESP . Obvously i prefer the fab but..

If anyone has experience of driving Fabia 1.2 12v, i would appreciate your knowledge

I have just bought a new Fabia 2 with scrappage allowance on ten year old Nissan Almera. I started by specifying a Fabia 1 and adding on the extras, but my friendly local Skoda dealer found me a 2 which had been ordered for stock at very little extra.

My advice is to go for this model if you possibly can as it has all those "toys" we now consider essentials - aircon - electric mirrors - metallic paint etc.

Although not run in, the power seems more than adequate with 2 up. It burbles along at 60 at about 3000 rpm with no problem except see below.

Good luck. My only thought is that it's a bit noisier than expected. Anyone out there with experience of noise suppression ?

Is there a reason you are set on a mk2 Fabia?

As great as i'm sure they are would a mk1 Fabia not serve the same purpose, come with a similar level of trim and extras and be much cheaper to boot?

Is there a reason you are set on a mk2 Fabia?

As great as i'm sure they are would a mk1 Fabia not serve the same purpose, come with a similar level of trim and extras and be much cheaper to boot?

has to be a brand new car to have the scrappage incentive with it sadly! The hyundai of what ive heard is a cracking little car, i certainly wouldnt turn my nose at one, have you had a spin in one mate? :)

As a lot have said due to your cars value you will be better off going the scrapage route, as your intrested in a level 2 (great choice) you will also find you will get it within the goverments 4 month gap, just make sure you dont forget the spare wheel option when ordering, regards jason.

Felicia 11,

Wouldn't the Hyundai i20 be the nearest equivalent to the Fabia?

The i20 replaces the Getz which is a similar size to the Fabia.

The i10 is quite a bit smaller.

bear in mind felicia11 if you go for the hyundai as well as your servicing you have to pay for body inspections to retain the 5year warranty which is bit naughty as you have to pay for it. So rember that extra cost mate if you sway to the hyundai :cool:

Mum's Fabia 1 costs the same as a i10 Style and although it misses out on all the toys it is a far more complete vehicle. The discount on Skoda's scrappage scheme is £2580 and although you'd get the £1580 Skoda contribution if you went in with out a trade in I think you'd be extremely lucky to squeeze the extra grand out of your dealer. Like many people are saying the Scrappage scheme only makes sense if your old car has no value like ours :-)

I'm told you can no longer get the 'top of the range' i10 Style on scrappage as it can't be delivered within the 4 month rule.

JON

We went from a 1996 1.3 Felicia to a 2007 Fabia 2 1.2. There is no real contest, the Fabia is far and away the better car. Its cheaper to run (lower insurance, better fuel econony once run in) and has more room. It does not feel underpowered, far from it(my wife managed to get caught by a camera) its fine on the Motoway at 70 as long as its not fully loaded. I would also say (and I'll probably get shot down in flames for this) its better built than the Felicia. We've had no trouble with ours in the 2 years owned.

Andy

:thumbup:Thanks Guys for all your advice. All your comments have really helped me sort out my options. [

Re suggestions; Hyundai i10 is smaller, but it does feel quit roomy inside, quite well laid out, but a very small boot. one of the dealrs said threre is a 10- 12 week delivery another said because they are the largest dealers in greater london they could get in 8 weeks!!. on thursday they were still taking orders. I dont think i was aware of an inspection charge, obvously service but id have to look in to that further.

The i20 was sim'r size, and was considering comfort trim, but that still is a 1.2, i'm just concerned, i wont get comfortably to the top of the hills! and i feel the Fab is more solid car....although less equipment.

Which brings me back to the Fabia, your comments about the car have been so helpful. i'm just trying to decide whether to get the Fab 1 1.4 or Fab 2 i.2 70 both work ot about same price slightly more power or better equipment????:confused:

:thumbup:Thanks Guys for all your advice. All your comments have really helped me sort out my options. [

Re suggestions; Hyundai i10 is smaller, but it does feel quit roomy inside, quite well laid out, but a very small boot. one of the dealrs said threre is a 10- 12 week delivery another said because they are the largest dealers in greater london they could get in 8 weeks!!. on thursday they were still taking orders. I dont think i was aware of an inspection charge, obvously service but id have to look in to that further.

The i20 was sim'r size, and was considering comfort trim, but that still is a 1.2, i'm just concerned, i wont get comfortably to the top of the hills! and i feel the Fab is more solid car....although less equipment.

Which brings me back to the Fabia, your comments about the car have been so helpful. i'm just trying to decide whether to get the Fab 1 1.4 or Fab 2 i.2 70 both work ot about same price slightly more power or better equipment????:confused:

depends if what style of driving you have felica11, for resale value toys = added value. Of what ive heard the 1.2 is a good little engine, but of course the 1.4 is stronger. Hopefully a few people on the forum will get in toach for this thread on there opions of owning ether engine, but the way things stand go for the nicer trim level. But i would recommend a 1.4TDi Sport with red with a white roof ;):rofl:

Get the 1.2 petrol (make sure it's the 70BHP 12v one though!)

Outright it's slower than the 1.4 TDI but more driveable as the TDI has quite bad turbo lag and will be quieter than the diesel too.

If you've been used to a 1.3 Felicia, I am sure you will be happy with the 1.2 Fabia. Even though the Fabia is a bigger and heavier car, the 1.2 has slightly more power and torque than your Felicia and is quite punchy at low revs too.