Babs' VW Golf VR6 - Project Log

Babs

Nope, asked Al about the wings and he said it had been in a front end smash.

I can't really afford to get a full respray at the moment, so I'm gonna give the bits of rust a go myself. I've painted a bit before, so it should be ok!

Mudflaps need to come off as they're scraping :rolleyes:

I'm considering properly sorting the rust myself, albeit on a temporary nature until I can afford a respray.

Plans involve grinding, treating rust then primer, paint and laquer blended in on the wing (ideally painting as little as possible) and a similar thing on the drivers door.

The other option is getting a set of Dragon Green wings and a drivers door from a breakers.

Painting would mean not breaking the seal inside the wings, and not having to play with getting wings alligned, and not having to completely strip down and re-mount a door essentially on my own. The rust should all be just on the surface, so I'm hoping that I can treat it and give it a skim of filler and it'll be ok.

Painting the best way then?

Ugh... car is now sat like this:

DSC03409.jpg

Due to the headlamps I got from eBay coming without a wiring loom, and the loom that's on there is the one that came with the Morette lights. So it's French and awkward, and doesn't use the standard sized bulbs.

Desperately seeking another pair of headlights, if anyone knows anyone breaking? Or any decent breakers in the North West?

New headlights won off eBay, advertised as "perfect condition, bulbs included, just plug in!"...

Also entered a dialogue with the seller of the previous set :)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2nd set of lights has turned up... and they're broken!

The tool hasn't packed them properly, so they've moved around the reflector part has snapped off its pegs and is rattling around inside each lamp.

Found a guy in St Helens with an apparently decent set, so I'm going to pick them up tonight.

Will be my 2nd "item not as described" claim on eBay this week :rofl:

I present for your attention:

DSC03485.jpg

:D

Set of lights #3 - bought from a man in St Helens with dogs, and who appeared to have a man living in a Transit on his drive...

• 2 weeks later...