Babs' VW Golf VR6 - Project Log

Babs

It was mine that was the V6

Ah gotcha.

So yes then, high 20's seems reasonable for a big V6 lump, would have expected a bit more from the 1.8T though. Ho hum, you don't buy these cars for mpg ;)

Aye that's true! Yeah A4 was a 150bhp 20vT. I think it's more to do with the service history (or lack of...) with the Audi. My Octavia did 28 around town with 30 more bhp!

Full service at Awesome this saturday :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had my service at Awesome, which revealed a slight tracking issue. So rather than ultimately pay twice for tracking and alignment, I have decided that as of yesterday, I need more lower.

So, car is back off to Awesome on the 3rd October to have a set of Weitec's fitted then wound down :)

Fuel Fill-Up

Litres: 37.91

Miles: 191

MPG: 22.9

Not impressed, car's been running a bit lumpy on Morrison's crappy petrol. Only thing close when I last needed fuel :( Car was hesitating pulling away from just over idle in 2nd and above, a thing which it normally found easy! Car's now been brimmed with Shell's finest and immediately felt better! MPG showing on the MFA as having increased 20% :rofl:

Fuel Fill-Up

Litres: 37.91

Miles: 191

MPG: 22.9

Not impressed, car's been running a bit lumpy on Morrison's crappy petrol. Only thing close when I last needed fuel :( Car was hesitating pulling away from just over idle in 2nd and above, a thing which it normally found easy! Car's now been brimmed with Shell's finest and immediately felt better! MPG showing on the MFA as having increased 20% :rofl:

So that's 27.5MPG (ish) if my head maths is any good.

• 4 weeks later...

Well... I had a dream!

I was aboard the Starship Enterprise, Captain Jean-Luc Picard came to me, and gave me a simple message:

makeitlow.jpg

So, I took the Golf to Awesome and instructed them to fit a set of Weitec's, and I picked it up today:

06102009030.jpg

06102009027.jpg

06102009029.jpg

It's a little stiff and bouncy, but it handles so much better! Got rid of a lot of roll :)

Next up will be a set of standard GTI-spec twin-chamber headlights as I hate the current "quad" style ones!

Rims are as previously mentioned (VW Long Beach 17s), will probably need some spacers out back, fronts may be ok with the slightly wider rims :)

In that third pic, the mudflap is actually touching the driveway... drive has a 2" kerb on it, so there's a very slight angle. Still quite low though! :rolleyes: