Advice on first "road" bike please

Cool! I'll be reverting my CRS to "winter" trim this weekend. Mudguards, lights, reflectors and 35 section tires. I've also got to have a look at the BB as there was a mysterious "creaking" from there the other day! :o

Any way I heard a rumour that Italian plastic and English winters don't mix well! :P

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At long last!

DSC00115.jpg

Sincere apologies for the trashy picture (I know I should have take the picture to show the crank!), but here is my new addition! Fresh from the inaugural 25 miles! I want to say a hugh "thank you" to all those of you who have been kind enough to post in this thread, without your comments I would have been none the wiser on what to look for!

I also want to say that I'm still on a very steep learning curve! I'm having to get to grips with a new riding position & especially the Look Keo clips! So very different to my SPD setup (boy did I wobble a few times setting off from junctions and not getting clipped in the first time!)! So if you've any further advice; it'll be welcome!

Very nice. The bars look like they might need rotating down a little as the hoods look a little high and the drops a little verticle. But the most important thing is you are comfortable and feel safe.

Get on the rivet and enjoy, she looks fast:thumbup::)

I can’t quite tell if you have got a pooter on your bike yet, if not, can I recommend the Cateye wireless cadence and Speedo. It only has one wireless sensor that clips on the inside chainstay and it does both jobs. No wires, only one sensor and very reliable. Nice:thumbup::thumbup:

Very nice. The bars look like they might need rotating down a little as the hoods look a little high and the drops a little verticle. But the most important thing is you are comfortable and feel safe.

Get on the rivet and enjoy, she looks fast:thumbup::)

I think you are absolutly right about the bars, i had droped them a little already :eek:; however I think a couple more degrees will be needed.

It certainly felt much easier to keep to a "higher speed" than usual, but i'm taking it steady as it still feels sooooooo. different!

I can’t quite tell if you have got a pooter on your bike yet, if not, can I recommend the Cateye wireless cadence and Speedo. It only has one wireless sensor that clips on the inside chainstay and it does both jobs. No wires, only one sensor and very reliable. Nice:thumbup::thumbup:

No i've not sorted out a pooter yet; there wasn't much to look at when I picked it up! I'll have a look at the Cateye one. I like there stuff and have the simple wired one on my giant! Interweb sites here I come!

Also any recommendations on a CO2 pump/combined pump? I'm guessing my new bike will look a little odd with a hugh old style cycle pump on the frame :o

Agree with LE that it looks like the bars should be rotated downwards. Also check that the bars are the right height - you can lower them by putting the spacers on top of the stem instead, and then cutting the steerer tube once you're happy - its surprising how many people leave them at the highest setting and be done with it.

I have a little crank brothers pump that I put in the back pocket of my jersey, unless I'm with riding buddies who I know will have pump on them ;) Cateye computers is the obvious choice.

Oh, and it looks very nice. As said before, enjoy :thumbup:

No i've not sorted out a pooter yet; there wasn't much to look at when I picked it up! I'll have a look at the Cateye one. I like there stuff and have the simple wired one on my giant! Interweb sites here I come!

Also any recommendations on a CO2 pump/combined pump? I'm guessing my new bike will look a little odd with a hugh old style cycle pump on the frame :o

I carry a small mini pump for inflating the tyre a little after changing the tube and it attaches to the side of the down tube. I don’t know about you but I can’t fit new tubes without a little air in them first. Then I use a cheap CO2 canister into one of those little right angled anodised press-on adapters. Sorry I can’t remember the make, but I don’t have the original packaging, but they are the green ones and all decent bike shops sell them. Simply chuck a couple of spare cylinders in your saddle bag and a multi-tool (should contain tyre levers) I also have a couple of spare tubes as I have been known to pinch one whilst fitting it :o

Also I have a permanently fitted pair of small LED lights as you never know how long you might be out on your new trusty steed I leave them on from the moment I leave the door as I am fed up of motorists turning in front of me because they can see me…………..must be all that invisible bright dayglo clothing I wear:rolleyes:

I think you have to accept your feather weight bike will weigh an extra pound or two buy the time all the bits are fitted, but there again, if you stick a couple of full bottles on it, it weighs even more.

One word of warning though, if you haven't used the CO2 canisters before, be aware that once you inflate the tyre, they will show you a first class example of Boyle's law. and will sometimes freeze onto your hand:eek::D

Thanks for the heads up on the pooter. Just ordered a Cateye :thumbup: as I already have a heart monitor I went for the V2c. I think it will fit the bill very nicely

I've got a normal pump on my CRS, but I think the idea of a mini pump & a CO2 system makes sense. I did struggle with the last tube swap i did, so putting a little air to start with seems like a very sensible idea :o Good old Boyles, I'm sure i'd have fallen foul of it :o

Like you say i'd anticipated that the bike would become a "little" heavier as I added stuff, however the few grams I add will soon be balanced out by the weight I'll shed as I get used to a double instead of a tripple :o!

No more "twiddling" up hills! My heart monitor showed i'm having to work a "bit" harder on the hills and there is nowhere near me thats flat :rolleyes::eek:

I have got a Cateye (very good unit)on my second bike and a Topeak mini pump (which bolts on your bottle cage fittings).

My main bike currently has a Knog (great display and the scan system is great, but it is a bit big) computer and I use a CO2 system...

Topeak - Topeak Master Blaster Mini DX Pump With Gauge Only £17.99

CO2 - Innovations Inflation Kit Only £14.39

The CO2 kit includes a strap system that allows you to fit the canister to the seat stem (keeping your saddle bag clear).

If you decide to use CO2 I suggest you buy spare canisters and have a test run before you really need it! Also (assuming your tyre valves aren't screwed in place) I suggest you nip into your local Halfords and ask very nicely if they have got any spare threaded washers to give you. This will allow you to 'fix' the valve in place when you come to inflate the tyre (if you don't fix the valve, you will just push it inside the tyre and then lose precious gas) leaving you to remove after the tyre is fully inflated.

These are the dogs as well and take up no room at all (and you can store your little threaded washer in the tiny plastic case as well!) - Park Tools Puncture Repair Kit Super Patch Only £3.91

If you go for the CO2 remember to cover your hands when inflating (take your cycle mit off and wrap it round the canister) as the canister gets VERY cold when discharging and will give you burns!

And finally... if you want a really easy tyre lever system try this - Crank Brothers Speed Lever Only £5.40

I can change a tyre super quick with this one!!

Hope that helps..

Terry

Oh..... Luuuurverly bike :drool:

Have been reading this thread with interest as I am about to buy my FIRST ever road bike...:)

Thanks to the posters for the advice shown here.

I too have a couple of weeks window to buy through the works cyle to work scheme ( although i will not be cycling to work )

What are people's opinions on a road newbie and a single speed bike? I dont want to spend quite as much as the OP with a budget of around £400 - £500.

The scheme limits me to Evans Cycles | Mountain Bike | Specialized Bikes | UK Online Bike Shop and as such stock availablity is as much an issue as anything.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the chat!

Single speed (or Fixies, I think!) are very popular at the moment and I know a bloke who swears by them as a commuter bike, simple, low maintainance and very reliable. Ideal in traffic etc. However when he comes to stay with us he leaves his "fixie" at home and brings his normally geared hybrid!

He's as fit as a flea, but says there is no fun in a fixie around our hills! So, I guess it depends what you want it for and where you want to cycle as well as your level of fitness and general cycling experience.

What about something with a hub gear? Don't know if they are in your price bracket or would suit your needs, but that would give you abit of flexibility. And they seem to be making a comeback too!

Even though you are limited to one place by your scheme, I'd still go to your local independant bike shop to have a chat and a sit on a few models. They should also help you to work out what size fame you may need.

HTH

Welcome to the chat!

Single speed (or Fixies, I think!) are very popular at the moment and I know a bloke who swears by them as a commuter bike, simple, low maintainance and very reliable. Ideal in traffic etc. However when he comes to stay with us he leaves his "fixie" at home and brings his normally geared hybrid!

He's as fit as a flea, but says there is no fun in a fixie around our hills! So, I guess it depends what you want it for and where you want to cycle as well as your level of fitness and general cycling experience.

What about something with a hub gear? Don't know if they are in your price bracket or would suit your needs, but that would give you abit of flexibility. And they seem to be making a comeback too!

Even though you are limited to one place by your scheme, I'd still go to your local independant bike shop to have a chat and a sit on a few models. They should also help you to work out what size fame you may need.

HTH

Yes , thanks. Have visited already:) Helped with what size I need , but came away slightly more confused about what I want than when I went in. I get the feeling that I might regret buying a fixie as my first road bike.

I wouldn't buy a fixie as as first road ride. Having said that I used to love my single speed both off and on road. You'd always travel at the same speed no matter what the gradient and it certainly helps with fitness.

You can get a pretty good bike for around £500, one with gears :rofl: If your that bothered just don't use them . . . ;)

Edit: I've just had a look, buy either a Specialized Allez or a Trek 1.x whichever feels best

Edited by *tim*

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally arrived - my first flat bar roadie - Giant Rapid 1 - seems to weigh little more than my TCR C2 (though I'm sure it does, and I haven't weighed it properly yet).

Now I've just got to fit the lights, mudguards and computer :)

I can feel the pounds rolling off as we speak, which is just as well because I could do with losing at least 28 of them :o

P1070519.jpg

I like it and it looks like an idea winter hack Brimma (I also like the sneaky way you've propped the bike up for the photo :D

I'd change those Kenda tyres for something better asap through, they really are a shower of **** :rofl:

I like it and it looks like an idea winter hack Brimma (I also like the sneaky way you've propped the bike up for the photo) :D

Dolmio family size (without the label) :thumbup:

I'd change those Kenda tyres for something better asap through, they really are a shower of **** :rofl:

Thanks - I'll have a look see what I can find :thumbup:

On the subject of multi tools. I bought one in-extremis in a Super-U store in Bauge in the Loire valley.

It's a "Roadsign Australia" brand. Never seen its like before but it is pretty useful. Separates into 2, has wings which detach for use as tyre levers, the usual hex bits and screwdrivers. A number of thin ring spanners which include spoke tensioners on the ends.

I think it cost around £15. The memory is slightly dim as it was purchased back in May.

J.

Nice looking bike there Brimma :thumbup:

I'd run the Kenda through winter for now, you've nothing to loose! But if you do want to change, I was very impressed with the Schwalbe Ultremo R's i was running this summer on my CRS. However I went back to the old Kenda 700x35 last week for winter use, and also because we were trail riding in North Wales :thumbup:!

A real neat trick with the glass jar by the way!

Thanks Unc :) (Must find out your real name sometime :rolleyes:)

I'll give the tyres a go, and hope I don't end up on my arse.

Very impressed with the weight of the bike, or lack of it, to be precise :)

Nice to come across a bike that includes pedals (Shimano SPDs), and even more surprised by the cunning snap in plastic inserts to use non-cleated shoes on the other side.

I think the flat bars with the bar ends will be really good for comfortable climbing.

Cheers for the comment on the jar :)

Is that how those pedals work. I saw them in the photo and couldn't quite worked out why they didn't quite look like normal single sided pedals. A clever solution - good old shimano boys!!

TBH you might as well run the tyres for a bit, and if you like them I have pair you can have :rofl: I bought some GP 4000s as replacement and they're superb!!

Bar ends. That takes me back to when I had an orange c16r (clockwork) - good time!!