Halifax credit card, A WARNING!!

richie

For those who have or are thinking of getting a Halifax credit card, be warned :mad:

If you are planning a trip outside the UK, ie USA, Canada, Europe etc. You will need to call them to tell them what you are doing, where you are going and when you will be going etc :( We have done this every year for the last few years with our trips to Florida and never a problem.

This year we did what we had done in year gone by, gave them a call, "asked for permission" to actually use the card and got the same reply, "Thanks for letting us know, we will mark your account accordingly"

Got to the car hire desk and the card was refused :eek: Thankfully I had my MBNA card with me or we would have been well and truly fecked!!

SWMBO called them when we got back and made a complaint. We are waiting for a reply as to what they are going to do about it, watch this space.

It's not just Halifax cards that are blocked. Most seem to do this even when you tell them where you are going and when you are coming back.

I told Abbey that I will be using the card in Spain,

"no problem" they said "your account has been noterised".

I did point out that even when I tell them that I want to use my card abroad in previous years it was always stopped after a couple of days,

"I see sir, yes we do know about problems in the past but it won't happen again"

I managed to use my card for 5days ok then the last 2 days it was stopped.

On returning home I asked Abbey while it was stopped.

" It's all to do with fraud protection for you sir" I then asked if there was a note on the account allowing the card to be used in Spain last week,

"yes sir, There is a note allowing the cards use in Spain recently", I then asked why it had been stopped when it was noted on the account,

the girl replied " Oh I see what you mean sir, do you want me to note your account is ok to use in Spain then". I explained that I was now back home and gave up.

Moral of this and richie's escapade is always take Back Up cash/travellers cheques with you.

Never had any issues with my Lloyds Debit or Credit card. I guess my spending patterns abroad show that my cards are used all over the place (this year for example. Luxembourg, France, Spain, Italy and several foreign internet purchases).

The 'reporting you are going away' for Barclaycard is now automated, you just press numbers on your phone including 'press xx for USA' etc. so possible humann error is eliminated. I travel quite a bit and have only ever had one problem, that was in Brazil, and that was just my cash card, credit cards were OK.

This isn't limited to going abroad for Abbey.

Earlier in the year I had a little windfall and after drawing £200 from a cash machine in my local shop I went into town as I wanted to buy a DSLR camera.

However after selecting the camera I attempted to pay with my debit card, the card was refused, tried again and no.

Popped into the nearest Abbey to withdraw the cash and no mention of any problems so off I went to complete my purchase.

Later that day I get a call from Abbey fraud dept telling me my card has been stopped due to fraudulent activity (spending money) :mad:

Now I try to use cash whenever possible as I don't want the inconvenience in future.

It is a pain but at the end of the day one quick call and they will reactivate it straight away.

Depends which country your in, The cost off the call in some hotels and some countries will wipe out the commision free exchange rate saving on my Abbey Zero card.