Symphony in SAFE mode

balerno

I've just put the original radio back in my car, its gone into SAFE mode, and I can't find any radio card in my ownership docs. There's a couple of codes in the white plastic key code thing but these didn't seem to work.

I believe the code is held in the ECU, rather than the radio itself, so is it possible to reset the radio using VAGCOM? I only have the shareware version. The Radio Controller responds with values for the following: 'VAG Number', 'Soft Coding', 'Component' and 'Shop #'.

Cheers for any advice, hoping not to have to visit the dealer for this as they're not nearby.

What year is the car? Mine is 2003 and when I had the original HU still there it would take a little while after turning it on before it stopped saying SAFE and went back to normal.

I know older cars didn't have the HU coded to the car but I'm not sure when it changed over.

Ok, thanks, think I've tried that sequence, pikpilot, but will give it another go. However I've probably not left the radio on in 'SAFE' mode while driving for long, trundlenut, so will try that. The car's year is 2002.

Official response from Skoda is that it needs to go to a dealer who connect it to the diagnostics equipment, and get the code from some database, which is why I wonder if the same result could be achieved with VAGCOM?

You cant get the code with VAG-COM, the dealer does it online. Their tool interogates the headunit for the model and serial number, it then goes online to VAG UK and requests the code. The code is obtained and recorded into the cars ECU by the dealers tool, at no time does the dealer now see the code. If it were as simple as using vag-com then theives would have a field day.

There are other ways, but it will involve sending your headunit away for a pro decode, for example.

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/Skoda-Symphony-grundig.html

You cant get the code with VAG-COM,

Correct, with the radio in SAFE mode VCDS cannot even scan the radio channel.

the dealer does it online. Their tool interogates the headunit for the model and serial number, it then goes online to VAG UK and requests the code. The code is obtained and recorded into the cars ECU by the dealers tool, at no time does the dealer now see the code.

I hope you are wrong about this bit, both dealers i have spoke to i specifically told them i wanted the radio code (rather than the radio de-coded).

I have also e-mailed SUK requesting an answer as to why the code was never supplied with the car from new, yet now see fit to charge me to supply it :mad: we will see if they have the decency to reply :rolleyes:

I have also e-mailed SUK requesting an answer as to why the code was never supplied with the car from new, yet now see fit to charge me to supply it :mad: we will see if they have the decency to reply :rolleyes:

Yes I agree this is a bit off, especially as you bought it new. Mine was bought as a <2 year old approved used from a main Skoda dealer and no radio code supplied, unless its one of those numbers in the key codes, but I don't think it is.

What price are they asking, btw, for the code or decoded radio?

The Skoda dealer in Cardiff wanted £45 to de-code the radio, so I asked what happens next time I have to disconnect the battery? guess what! another £45 so I am saving for a nice aftermarket item instead. Trouble is with no radio I am really hearing every little creak and groan and having to save for suspension as well :D

I have been quoted about £40 (£80 per hour) but they can't do it until Saturday :mad:

If i RTFM correctly then you can put the radio into 'CODE' mode where it will not prompt you for a code when re connected?

Either way i will not be impressed when i specifically asked for 'the radio code' if all they do is de-code the radio.

I bought my car s/h also (but know the previous owner) i asked him at the time of purchase about the code and he said there was no code supplied but it was not needed as the code was remembered in the ECU, this was even demonstrated by the battery being disconnected, sure enough the radio came up with SAFE, then a few seconds later came on with the stored stations still in it's memory.

I have been quoted about £40 (£80 per hour) but they can't do it until Saturday :mad:

I bought my car s/h also (but know the previous owner) i asked him at the time of purchase about the code and he said there was no code supplied but it was not needed as the code was remembered in the ECU, this was even demonstrated by the battery being disconnected, sure enough the radio came up with SAFE, then a few seconds later came on with the stored stations still in it's memory.

This is what happens on mine too BUT I make sure the radio is turned off when reconnecting the battery.

Perhaps it is worth starting from scratch by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (for the capacitors in the electronics to discharge) and then, with the radio off, reconnecting the battery. Then turn on the ignition followed by the radio.

If i RTFM correctly then you can put the radio into 'CODE' mode where it will not prompt you for a code when re connected?

Thats true, if you hold down TF to enter the menu and then navigate through until you find the CODE option you can set it so that when you disconnect the battery you aren't asked for a code when you re-connect. I think you have to enter the existing code before you can change this setting though so if you are getting the radio unlocked at a dealer get them to set this feature up.

Perhaps it is worth starting from scratch by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes (for the capacitors in the electronics to discharge) and then, with the radio off, reconnecting the battery. Then turn on the ignition followed by the radio.

Tried that as well (battery was disconnected for 1 1/2hrs) but nothing.

SUK have actually replied to me stating:

"The radio code for Skoda vehicles is not normally provided at point of sale, as is the standard procedure."

Sarah Hanson

Skoda UK Customer Services

0845 7745745

E-mail: [email protected]

Well done SUK, :rolleyes: yet another way to p### off your customers assuring they keep as far away from your dealers as possible in future. :orb_clap:

Skoda have not provided the radio code since at least 2001, when I bought my July 2001 car it was not provided with a radio code, as in the scheme of things I would never need it.

I fully agree you should never need it (when the ECU does actually remember the code) however when it suddenly forgets it prompting you for the code what then??

Mine had never needed the code before either, I'm not sure why it was now requesting it?

I know this is no help but I didn't need the code for mine - also 2002 - when it did the same thing but it was about 3 years back and I can't remember what I did! Also no dealer required. I'll try to remember but its my advanced age....

Thats true, if you hold down TF to enter the menu and then navigate through until you find the CODE option you can set it so that when you disconnect the battery you aren't asked for a code when you re-connect. I think you have to enter the existing code before you can change this setting though so if you are getting the radio unlocked at a dealer get them to set this feature up.

Yesss, its working now :)

The solution in my case: held down the TF button for several seconds and the radio came on, SAFE mode no more! This action must have caused the ECU to resend the code I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yesss, its working now :)

The solution in my case: held down the TF button for several seconds and the radio came on, SAFE mode no more! This action must have caused the ECU to resend the code I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The TF button? Do you not mean the A/F one?

When you turn the radio on SAFE appears for about 8 seconds then it will either work correctly (no need to press any buttons, or after the 8 seconds you will get 1 - - - - (code request) did you get the code request on yours? On mine (which has the code request) no matter what button you press (for no matter how long) it wont wake the radio up.

The TF button? Do you not mean the A/F one?

When you turn the radio on SAFE appears for about 8 seconds then it will either work correctly (no need to press any buttons, or after the 8 seconds you will get 1 - - - - (code request) did you get the code request on yours? On mine (which has the code request) no matter what button you press (for no matter how long) it wont wake the radio up.

Sorry, it might have been 'TP' I held down, definetely T. I was inspired to try it by the 'TF' suggestion earlier in the thread ;)

Yes it was asking for the code, but as I'd tried a couple of times the wait had increased to a few minutes wait and then something like '3 - - - -'. According to the manual a few more tries and it would be 24h or more before you can try again!