Yeti as a family car?

Bowtie

Hi All,

Can anyone advise me on whether the rear bench in the Yeti can accommodate 3 normal child car seats?

I believe there are 2 isofix points on either side (?), but can it accommodate 3 child seats using 3 point seat belts? The spec has similar width to the octavia which I've been advised can, so I'm really really hoping. Can anyone confirm?

Thank you :thumbup:

I only tried it with one booster but I guesstimated it would take 3 boosters but not 3 high-backed child seats (at least the Britax type I've got). As I've said on previous posts, I'd have an Octavia now if it wasn't for the high seatbelts cutting my and my children's necks in the back.The Yeti's seatbelts are much better (lower) positioned and it has a guide that the seatbelt goes through too so it sits perfectly across. I think this little seat belt guide is for when you adjust/recline the seats so not sure about the safety aspects of it in the event of a crash. My short 8 year old is getting to the stage of complaining because she's the only one left on the high-backed seat. She prefers a booster to the high-backed seat but I'm holding out unless teasing becomes an issue. I don't know how old your kids are but take this into account if you are thinking of keeping a car for any length of time. My understanding is that reason a booster has to be used is so the seatbelt is better positioned across the chest in the event of a crash. But this seems daft when the height of seatbelts varies so much between car models. At 5ft5 I'd need one for the Octavia in the back!

If I can remember, I'll have a look at the handbook of my wife's Roomster tonight (has the same removable seats as Yeti) and let you know.

However, from memory, I have a hunch that Roomster only has a lap belt for the centre rear seat (not lap & diagonal); whereas the Octavia has a central lap & diagonal.

PS> Brochure lists "Two ISOFIX child seat fittings in rear (outer)" for all models- does that help?

Edited by bahnstormer vrs
PS added

Do you really need a 4x4/high ride height/offroad/thing?

E.G. Do you live on a farm?

(please god tell me your not a newage SUV yuppie:rolleyes:

There are plenty of other cars in the Skoda range that would be more acommodating and more suitable for everyday driving with a family imho.

I find my Octavia est is good at pretty much anything and my mothers Fabia est is just a smaller version of'.

I've no experience of the roomster but i know someone with a superb and he says its an executive cruiser and so a little over kill for family days out maybe:)

D

Thank you all.

Haha, no I'm not an SUV yuppie :)

I need a car with 3 full seats in back suitable for 2 seats for 3 yr olds & little tiny baby seat :)

I intend on keeping this car for quite a time- over 5 years.

I've looked into other models but they're all a) more expensive for an older car B) less efficient than the new diesel engine purports to be. I've considered the octavia, roomster and Kia Soul too, but I really like the yeti. I guess since I'll be keeping it a while I want a car I can love too ;)

As a little one's bus driver too - when I went to look at a Yeti yesterday I am certain that the middle seat is going to be much too narrow for any kind of high back or booster seat that I know of.

I didn't try it to see what it looks like but apparently you can remove the centre seat altogether and move the outer 2 seats inwards a bit. Considering the middle bit doesn't slide forward to enlarge the boot like the rest of it does (thus gets in the way) and is too narrow to sit on unless you have Cheryl Cole in the rear (there's a thought!) then it may be the best thing to do day to day - leave the middle seat in the garage and consider it a 4 seater.

Thanks for the updates all :)

That sounds like bad news for 3 child seats to me :( God, why are most parents cars buses or gas-guzzling SUV's?! Honestly- I'll probably be holding out hope until I attempt to put three seats in and it doesn't work :(

You might be best asking the Roomster owners how they get on, they have experience of using this type of seating system.

Admittedly there is some minor differences in chair size, also unsure whether the Roomy uses a roof mounted belt for the middle seat, again refer to their expertise.

Waiting for the likes of aerofurb and the other Snow-monster trailblazers to find all it's foibles.:)

If I can remember, I'll have a look at the handbook of my wife's Roomster tonight (has the same removable seats as Yeti) and let you know.

However, from memory, I have a hunch that Roomster only has a lap belt for the centre rear seat (not lap & diagonal); whereas the Octavia has a central lap & diagonal.

PS> Brochure lists "Two ISOFIX child seat fittings in rear (outer)" for all models- does that help?

Checked our Roomster today and found that there is a separate diagonal belt for the centre seat with the upper fitting set in the roof.

It however only has two ISOFIX fittings, same as Yeti; I'm sure though that you can use a non ISOFIX child seat in the centre seat if need be.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again people :)

The FRV is on the way out- so the other half is totally against going anywhere near it.

For our dilemma these were the cars in the line up: Peugeot 307SW 7seat, few year old Hyundai santa fe 7 seat or any 5 seater that is actually a full 5 seater.

Cost is the biggest issue so the Yeti looked like a great option, but everything I'm hearing is saying no chance of 3 seats in the back. The yeti seems to be a hell of a lot of car for the price tag too. I emailed Skoda but no response so far :(

Thanks again people :)

The FRV is on the way out- so the other half is totally against going anywhere near it.

For our dilemma these were the cars in the line up: Peugeot 307SW 7seat, few year old Hyundai santa fe 7 seat or any 5 seater that is actually a full 5 seater.

Cost is the biggest issue so the Yeti looked like a great option, but everything I'm hearing is saying no chance of 3 seats in the back. The yeti seems to be a hell of a lot of car for the price tag too. I emailed Skoda but no response so far :(

Rather than waiting for a reply form Skoda; why not get yourself down to your local dealer and look at a Yeti and maybe even have a test drive.

Ah, sorry bahnstormer, I should have mentioned I'm in Ireland :D

I've rang some dealers here but have no confirmed IE release date. Some ads say end 2009, and some refer to 2010. But as soon as I can see one, I'll be down there measuring up :thumbup:

I've been contemplating the whole issue some more :rolleyes:

Would it be ludicrous to put the baby seat rear facing in front with the air bag turned off in any 5 seater car? Push the 2 larger child seats to the middle and side in the back- and still have one small rear side for an adult? My better half may have to lose some weight :rofl:

Hey Bowtie,

I know that Skoda will be showing the Yeti at the ploughing thing in Athy this week. Where abouts in Ireland are you based? Could you make it there to see the car? I hope to be there this thurs

Hi Bryan,

Yes I had heard this- but looked at the ploughing website and couldn't see any details.

Athy is probably about 2 hours each way for us- so a long round trip to see a car, which I might not even get a good rummage around.

If you do go and happen to get a good look, I wonder would you mind updating us?

Are you considering it, and if so from a family car perspective?

Guest wilkopilko

I'm not sure if the Yeti has the same ride height as the Octi Scout but I can tell you for sure - a real bonus is that it saves your back if your going to lift little-uns into car seats everyday!

I've been contemplating the whole issue some more :rolleyes:

Would it be ludicrous to put the baby seat rear facing in front with the air bag turned off in any 5 seater car? Push the 2 larger child seats to the middle and side in the back- and still have one small rear side for an adult? My better half may have to lose some weight :rofl:

Well I can fit 4 adults and a baby seat in the roomster as well as 3 baby seats and two adults but not 3 seats in the back. One thing to consider is the rear facing seats only go up to a certain baby weight so you baby wont be in it past 9-12 months

I'm not sure if the Yeti has the same ride height as the Octi Scout but I can tell you for sure - a real bonus is that it saves your back if your going to lift little-uns into car seats everyday!

Yeti is higher than the Octavia Scout IIRC :D

There are very few cars out there that will accommodate 3 booster seats :thumbdwn:

We have a 3 year old, 5 year old and a 7 year old. The law states that you do not require a booster seat if there are 2 other booster seats fitted and there is not room for a third.

We did buy a seatbelt clip thing that lowers the 3 point strap so it doesn't hurt her neck though.

One thing to consider is the rear facing seats only go up to a certain baby weight so you baby wont be in it past 9-12 months

Yes, that's another angle isn't it :thumbup:

I got to get to a dealer as soon as they appear and bring the seats really.

Hi Bowtie

If you haven't seen post in another thread, I've test driven the Yeti now. I really don't think 3 high-backed child seats (or 2 with a baby seat) will fit. We got a Britax highbacked seat one side, booster on the other and my husband in the middle. Not comfy in the middle really because of the plastic clips (for seat adjustments?) digging into the nether regions and also diagonal belt comes from the roof and cuts across the neck. Of course, the latter problem won't be a problem with a high backed car seat as the belt will go through the side belt guide on it. The salesman said the middle seat was bigger than the roomster. Obviously, I'd recommend you to test it with your own seats but I wouldn't envy you trying to clip the middle one in! Sorry. Also doesn't help me with having the older one's friends occasionally who will be sitting in the middle - the diagonal belt would be over their neck/cheek!

Hi Bryan,

Yes I had heard this- but looked at the ploughing website and couldn't see any details.

Athy is probably about 2 hours each way for us- so a long round trip to see a car, which I might not even get a good rummage around.

If you do go and happen to get a good look, I wonder would you mind updating us?

Are you considering it, and if so from a family car perspective?

I am going there with my local dealer, and he says he WILL get me in2 the car, maybe even a quick passenger ride in it, so fingers crossed :D.

I am considering it, but not as a family car, it will all depend on the spec an price, but from what I have read hear and ith the motor mags, think it might be a car I would enjoy living with ;)

I will give any an all updates I can in here by thurs night