Spare wheel

skippy41

I have the Superb Elegance Combi MY2011.

I have a full size Alloy wheeel fitted with the 225 40 18 tyre, this is a perfect fit in the vehicle with the standard floor and the flloor is perfectly flat no suggestion of any raising.

That's interesting as mine has a 205x55/16 spare with the standard floor (there's a piece of foam under the floor to bring it up to the height of the tether rails) and it only just clears the tyre.

I have a 205 55 R16 in mine and it fits no problem with the standard floor, no lifting at all, in fact there may even be a gap of 10mm or so. I'd have to check that but definitely no lifting of the boot floor - I remember being pleased about that when I put the spare in.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

I have a 205 55 R16 in mine and it fits no problem with the standard floor...

This is the spare wheel I found in my boot - regular 205/55 R16 with jack and locking nut

I ordered a full size spare wheel from my dealer, as I wanted an actual full size wheel and tyre and I received a full size wheel. It would seem that some dealers consider the smaller wheel as full size, it is normally a 16" wheel and tyre which has a 50mph speed limit.

I ordered a full size spare wheel from my dealer, as I wanted an actual full size wheel and tyre and I received a full size wheel. It would seem that some dealers consider the smaller wheel as full size, it is normally a 16" wheel and tyre which has a 50mph speed limit.

It is full size...just not the same size but at least bigger that the 'mickey mouse' spacesavers that are thinner than most modern motorcycle tyres. I think there are some regs around to say that it should carry a 50mph limit even though the tyre would be capable of much more if both tyres on the same axle were the same.

Spectrum, are you saying that you have a 225/40/18 spare and it sits in your boot with a standard floor and no modification to the floor? Or have you shaved the 20mm polystyrene piece off the underneath of the floor.

Hang on a minute! I've just been out to have a look in my boot and I reckon it might just fit. I have the usual 205/55/16 'spacesaver'. It seems that the polystyrene affixed to the underside of the boot floor actually rests on the polystyrene moulding that holds the tools in the middle of the wheel and not on the tyre itself. It looks like there is approx 20mm to spare between the actual tyre and the underside of the floor and assuming the polystyrene moulding with tools sits in the middle of a 225 alloy in the same way I reckon it could be possible.

If it's possible then I can only assume that Skoda didn't think there was going to be much of a market for a spare wheel/tyre option that cost somewhere around £200 or more. Probably a good move actually. I like to carry a spare especially when I've got the caravan on the back but I haven't used a spare in over 15 years and might have thought twice about something costing that much and never seeing the light of day.

Spectrum, are you saying that you have a 225/40/18 spare and it sits in your boot with a standard floor and no modification to the floor?

That's exactly what he's saying. He was kind enough to advise me on a full size spare for mine.

Edited by Yearofthegoat

My 2012 Elegance 170 4x4 came with the "gunge" kit. I tow a caravan regularly and was unhappy about not having a spare or a jack etc - so I bought the Skoda recommended 16" spare Which came with jack, wheel brace etc ....it's full size but as all the others are 18" there is a 50mph max advice notice. I'd much rather drive at a max of 50mph with a fully functioning wheel rather than rely on the "gunge" when the caravan is on the back!

Car tows like a dream - 1500 miles through Europe this Summer with a 1500Kg caravan on the back - ave 28mpg

I just ordered a Superb Elegance (in Ireland) and it won't have a spare wheel. I'll definitely ask the dealer in advance if I can order one extra.

Tulx,

who is the dealer you bought your car off.I have just checked the car specs now 10/10/12 and a 16 inch steel wheel is in the specs as a spare,just like it was in 09 when I bought my Elegance.Unless Skoda have not updated the spec sheet on their site I would say the dealer is misinformed or just pulling a fast one.

Let me know because i`m gona order onother car soon and the lack of a spare wheel would be a dealbreaker for me.I may be biting off my nose to spite my face,but a can of splodge to repair a puncture is crap and if enough ppl stood up to the manufacturers cans would be a thing of the past.

Tulx,

who is the dealer you bought your car off.I have just checked the car specs now 10/10/12 and a 16 inch steel wheel is in the specs as a spare,just like it was in 09 when I bought my Elegance.Unless Skoda have not updated the spec sheet on their site I would say the dealer is misinformed or just pulling a fast one.

Let me know because i`m gona order onother car soon and the lack of a spare wheel would be a dealbreaker for me.I may be biting off my nose to spite my face,but a can of splodge to repair a puncture is crap and if enough ppl stood up to the manufacturers cans would be a thing of the past.

Ordered it through Monaghan & Sons. To my understanding, the standard Skoda Superb does have a spare wheel, but I'm buying the 2.0L D Greentec specification which won't have it due to "weight saving" (read - "money saving" :D) reasons. I talked to the dealer about this and he said straight away that the can of foam is no alternative and hardly ever useful. A full size spare with all the kit would cost a few hundred EUR (I think I remember it was ~250 but could be wrong).

You're right about the last part. Of what I've seen from Ireland so far (living here for a year), unfortunately, the Irish don't seem to be too keen on standing up to various nonsense from above - the insurance prices are rediculous here. I kind of miss Germany in that respect - complaining and doubting the "establishment" is the national sport there - "Could I speak to your superior?" is said about as often as "Hello!".

If noone complains and fights, nothing's going to change for the better.

whats a 2.0 l Greentech. Is that the green line,and if it is I don't think they are two litre engines. To my knowledge the green line is 1.6. If there is no spare and you are committed to the car get a spare wheel off an aul Audi or VW. Much cheaper than main dealer. My car will be another Elegance or a L&K,and like I said,no spare --- no deal.

Ordered it through Monaghan & Sons. To my understanding, the standard Skoda Superb does have a spare wheel, but I'm buying the 2.0L D Greentec specification which won't have it due to "weight saving" (read - "money saving" :D) reasons. I talked to the dealer about this and he said straight away that the can of foam is no alternative and hardly ever useful. A full size spare with all the kit would cost a few hundred EUR (I think I remember it was ~250 but could be wrong).

You're right about the last part. Of what I've seen from Ireland so far (living here for a year), unfortunately, the Irish don't seem to be too keen on standing up to various nonsense from above - the insurance prices are rediculous here. I kind of miss Germany in that respect - complaining and doubting the "establishment" is the national sport there - "Could I speak to your superior?" is said about as often as "Hello!".

If noone complains and fights, nothing's going to change for the better.

The Greenline/Greentec thing is somewhat confusing, yes. Greenline versions of the superb have only a 1.6L Diesel and some aerodynamic adjustments to reduce fuel consuption. Greentec is only an engine/transmission configuration for lower RPM use, as far as I understand, and comes in 1.6L and 2.0L for the non-Greenline superb, I think. You can choose it under the engine selection for the standard superb. I chose a Greentec engine plus the Elegance spec. It's marked as "2.0 TDI/103 kW (140bhp) GL Pack" in the price sheet.

I think the regular Superbs do have a spare.

If you log onto www.skoda.ie and look at the prices and specs for Superb, you will see that there is, in addition to the greenline model 1.6, which has a bhp of 105, also a 1.4 tsi (125bhp), and a 2.0l (140bhp), available, which are listed as GL Pack.

Johnb I see the GL in the price list,although I missed it before you pointed it out but there is no mentoin(that I can see) in the spec list. So what else is missing from the car to make it more financially attractive ?

As far as I am aware, it is just the engine size,with some restrictions to spec, and also the price, in both road tax band, and cost of car.

An example would be Twin-boot Superb Elegance 140bhp GL Pack road tax €225, cost €32795.

170bhp road tax €330, cost €34595.

and Combi :

Combi Superb Elegance 140bhp GL Pack road tax €225, cost €33895,

170bhp road tax €225, cost €35745.

As you can see there is quite a saving between the cost of the 2 specs, on both models, if you are willing to exchange your 170bhp car, for a 140bhp GL Pack. I also think that you are stuck with 16" wheels, instead of the 17" as standard on the 170bhp, In relation to a full size spare, when I purchased a set of 16" steel wheels,for use with my winter tyres, I got these ( original VW wheels)< from my dealer at a cost of €55 each.

It would be difficult to go down to a 140bhp car as I use it to tow a caravan,also the next car will be a DSG and I don't suppose the ppl who calculate the VRT will allow auto cars into the small tax bracket,that is IF there is going to be a small tax bracket after the budget in December.

• Like 1

Just for people's info, I have a 2008 (58) twindoor, which came with the 16" spare - 17" on each corner. Whilst this was better than a skinny spare, I wanted a proper matching spare wheel.

Anyway, I picked up a 17" rim (VW so different style, but it's the size that isimportant) and when I next needed tyres, put the best of the ones coming off on the new rim as the spare. The twindoor seems to have a little bit less room in the wheel bay than the estate, but a 225/45/17 does just fit - as others have mentioned, it's the 225 width that is the problem and the boot floor is pushed up perhaps 10mm or so. I thought I might need to support it with some hardboard, but in the end it wasn't necessary and you really can't tell.

As an aside, I kept the 16" spare and matched it with a set of second hand alloys for winter tyres, giving me a full set of both winter and summer wheels - which was enough to ensure that last winter was really pretty warm - on the South coast anyway!

K.