Poor radio reception

Mr Statto

Well, I phoned my local dealer (Chathams in Dunfermline) and started to explain the problem, and guy on the phone stopped me and said it was either the aerial or the wiring, (and they'd just sorted another one when I phoned). Impressed! Was even more impressed/confused when we delivered it to the garage this morning and they offered to do the test/fix while we waited... I figure that either this is a quick job or Skoda owners are very, very patient. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

So far not had any issues with my 3 week old Roomie. As a side note is it a Roomie or a Roomy? (have seen it typed both ways on the forum).

Oooh, that's easy - if you talking about the inside of the car it's "Roomy", the car itself is a "Roomie". ;) (sorry I couldn't resist that)

That said, my sister and mother refer to it as "the Postman Pat van". grrrr! emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be a common problem with the aerial signal on these cars and the fabias as well, the signal strength can be checked with vcds, mine only shows 60% and I have line of site with the transmitter.

Edited by freelanderman

Well, I phoned my local dealer (Chathams in Dunfermline) and started to explain the problem, and guy on the phone stopped me and said it was either the aerial or the wiring, (and they'd just sorted another one when I phoned). Impressed! Was even more impressed/confused when we delivered it to the garage this morning and they offered to do the test/fix while we waited... I figure that either this is a quick job or Skoda owners are very, very patient. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Well, we got the aerial changed (cost £76 all in) and a week later I can cheerfully report that we now have a well-working radio - good strong signal on FM, and we've been amazed at the number of stations that it's managed to find ... more than the fancy (but 7 year old) Blaupunkt Woodstock in my Focus can achieve, but at least but the Woodstock can get DAB and the Dance can't! emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

So, this looks to have been money well spent. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Well, we got the aerial changed (cost £76 all in) and a week later I can cheerfully report that we now have a well-working radio - good strong signal on FM, and we've been amazed at the number of stations that it's managed to find ... more than the fancy (but 7 year old) Blaupunkt Woodstock in my Focus can achieve, but at least but the Woodstock can get DAB and the Dance can't! emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

So, this looks to have been money well spent. emoticon-0148-yes.gif

ive had this problem with the radio my roomy is only about 4 mounths old mind you ive put a small aerial on it so if i tell my dealer

that the radio is having trouble with the signal they mite change the aerial

ive had this problem with the radio my roomy is only about 4 mounths old mind you ive put a small aerial on it so if i tell my dealer

Got to be worth mentioning to the dealer - although I'm hoping that the comment that "ive put a small aerial on it" doesn't mean that you've replaced the factory fit one with something else. If that is the case then I think you're on your own - although I'd hope a good dealer would be happy to put a genuine Skoda part back on and charge you probably about the same I was.

As you'll see from this thread the aerial does seem to be a weak link. My dealer was saying that the Dance itself has proven quite reliable, poor reception (assuming you don't live at the bottom of a granite valley) is usually due to the aerial failing, second cause is poor wiring. If your car is only 4 months old then I would have assumed that you would have had a darned good chance of getting a fix done under warranty. Although that depends how poor it actually is - with our one, we couldn't get AM at all, and the FM signal died every time you went under a motorway bridge or behind a hill.

Where is the aerial located? Is it in front of the car on top of the interior light, or at the back of the car? And is the reception better with your original longer aerial?

On the older Roomsters that had the aerial in front the seal often leaked and the water corroded the connections causing the antenna to disconnect completely => no radio reception whatsoever.

I have also fitted a short aerial, and I am not having any ttroubles with the radio. The only difference compared the the original long aerial is that radio reception is now poor in our nearby supermarket parking hall, but that's the only place where I have noticed any difference.

Where is the aerial located? Is it in front of the car on top of the interior light, or at the back of the car? And is the reception better with your original longer aerial?

On the older Roomsters that had the aerial in front the seal often leaked and the water corroded the connections causing the antenna to disconnect completely => no radio reception whatsoever.

I have also fitted a short aerial, and I am not having any ttroubles with the radio. The only difference compared the the original long aerial is that radio reception is now poor in our nearby supermarket parking hall, but that's the only place where I have noticed any difference.

mine is fitted at the back like i say i only put the samll aerial on just to how its looks on the roomy my skoda dealer is suzuki aswell and one 4x4 drive sort was missing thats how mine came about but i mite put the long aerial back on and see how the radio goes and i let you guys now

thanks pete

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from a dealer that there was a new antenna model to 1.gen Roomster produced in may 2011.

Same as the VW Polo is using.

Is that correct? And will a Skoda dealer change it for free even if car is out of warranty? :smirk: