Poor radio reception

Mr Statto

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How strange !

I suspect the chaps at Skoda will have to reprogramme the radio , or get another head unit entirely.

That's what I thought. I hope to be near the Garage this afternoon and I'll call in and see what they say.

It's not all that vital as I've made up some mp3 CDs, but my grandchildren like to plug their iPods in to play their own music, and I like to plug my Sat Nav in when on holiday to get better volume.

That's what I thought. I hope to be near the Garage this afternoon and I'll call in and see what they say.

It's not all that vital as I've made up some mp3 CDs, but my grandchildren like to plug their iPods in to play their own music, and I like to plug my Sat Nav in when on holiday to get better volume.

It went in yesterday and I was told that the radio had been re-coded. Whatever that means, it worked and all is fine now.

• 2 months later...

Mine is going the same way. Been on to the dealer & need to speak to the service manager. About 3 weeks of warranty left! When talking about the head, what exactly is this? How have others solved the issue?

The head unit is the Radio itself. The bit you see and whatever is attached behind it. Mine was cured by being re-coded by the dealer.

Forgot to say: mine didn't go faulty. I had the head unit replaced under warranty and the replacement had no Auxiliary showing. After re-coding it was there.

Edited by Calomax

Thanks for the replies. Goes in Thursfday evening. Any other advice on what to ask the service manager about? Is it a case of a known problem in the head unit or is it looking for a fault in the wiring?

I don't know. I was just told it had been re-coded after speaking to the tech guys at Skoda UK.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had poor reception on the dance radio in my wife's Roomster last summer and had the base unit of the ariel change that cured it, at the time.

Poor reception has now returned with a vengeance; the radio looses tune on FM and wont pick up the station again and AM is so crackly it is unlistenable. Car was at my dealer earlier this week but they claimed 'no fault found'. I got in it to drive home and reception was completely 'off'. I left the radio on, ran in, grabbed the Service Manager and asked him to 'come and listen to this'!

He ruefully then admitted, ah, not good is it. We have since agreed that he is going to have Roomster back in and will change the coaxial cable; quite a big job by all account (I believe it). i think I will ask him to look at the base unit as well and change this as required.

• 2 weeks later...

Due in for servicing next week, so it'll be interesting to see (or hear) the outcome

They've said it needs a new aerial, but they had to order one in so it's going back in next Friday. Fingers crossed this will solve the problem

• 7 months later...

New radio fitted before warranty expired has now developed the same problem. Had enough of the the Dance. Will book into an ICE place & get the whole lot changed. How can something so blooming trivial as a radio cause so much fuss & not be easily rectified. Skoda are aware of the problem cos I got one changed for nothing. Can't be bothered with the dealer as I will get the same again.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to dive into the conversation, but is the consensus that the solution to this problem is: try new aerial then try new radio then renew wiring? emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Reason I ask is that our new (to us - it's an 08 plate) Roomie has this problem - the radio is so bad that we lose FM signal totally going under motorway bridges and AM is 100% dead - unless you like listening to static. We'd be better off with a cheapo portable radio - no exaggeration! emoticon-0120-doh.gif

To my understanding it's the aerial that's faulty, not the radio. If you have a pre-FL Roomster without glass roof you most probably have the aerial in the front of the roof, right above the interior light. This combination leaks causing the aerial to loose ground (and any other for that matter) connection. There was somewhere a way to check the signal strength, but at least my car showed that the aerial was disconnected. Unfortunately I can't remember how I got this code or what it was emoticon-0106-crying.gif

To my understanding it's the aerial that's faulty, not the radio. If you have a pre-FL Roomster without glass roof you most probably have the aerial in the front of the roof, right above the interior light. This combination leaks causing the aerial to loose ground (and any other for that matter) connection. There was somewhere a way to check the signal strength, but at least my car showed that the aerial was disconnected. Unfortunately I can't remember how I got this code or what it was emoticon-0106-crying.gif

Darn, that's a shame. Any idea of how much of a deal an aerial change is - are we talking an hour's workshop time, or something longer (and a lot more expensive). Any ideas folks whether the Skoda dealer is the best place to go, or would an auto radio company be a better bet?

Darn, that's a shame. Any idea of how much of a deal an aerial change is - are we talking an hour's workshop time, or something longer (and a lot more expensive). Any ideas folks whether the Skoda dealer is the best place to go, or would an auto radio company be a better bet?

I'm getting my aerial replaced this Thursday - they've told me to expect about an hour's wait.

It's under warranty for me, so I don't know what sort of price it is.

I'll post here again as to whether it fixes the problem.

Hold down "menu" or something like that for five to ten seconds and you will enter some sort of service menu. Here you can see if the aerial amp is working.

A new aerial costs 35euro and takes 30minutes to change by your self.

Edited by Javerhammar