Poor radio reception

Mr Statto

Ever since we've had our Roomster (17 months & 12,000 miles) radio reception has been fairly poor (our old Fabia was much better), but recently it's been absolutely diabolical. Radio signals down here in Crawley don't seem to be brilliant (we struggle to get good quality reception on radios at home too), but even when we went on holiday to Norfolk we still struggled to pick up anything other than the local station - national BBC & commercial stations were completely non-existent.

It's not a huge problem for us as we tend to listen to MP3 CDs, but there are times when being able to listen to the radio would be quite handy. I've checked the aerial is properly screwed in and it seems to be. Is there an issue with the Dance radio fitted to the Roomster, or should I get it checked out by the dealer?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, the reception on my Dance radio isn't brilliant either but nowhere near as bad as you have reported.

Initially it was excellent and it seemed to get worse after having a bluetooth handsfree kit fitted; and thought perhaps the aerial connector was not reinstated properly, but the fitter whipped the radio out and showed me that it was fine.

Although it receives radio stations reasonably well, even on local stations the reception seems to drop to mono for quite a while, say 20 seconds or so, before going back to stereo. I've tried looking in the settings to see if there is anything that would cause this but couldn't find anything.

When playing mp3s the sound is superb so more often than not I don't listen to the radio, so it doesn't bother me terribly.

On a totally unrelated subject, I just discovered that I must have left my mirror heaters on for a VERY long time (maybe even over a month); in fact I can't remember the last time I switched them on! I prefer the old system of just having one switch for the rear demister and wing mirrors as one is less likely to leave it on since there is no indicator on the dash to remind one.

I would say that it isn't quite as powerful as the Pioneer I had in my old car. But that is only going by the fact that on that one I could listen to Radio 2 in St Malo, while the Dance seems on the limit and sizzles. Not something I could criticise it for.

I do have two niggles with my radio but not connected with reception. Occasionally, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks, it will go silent but wilth the display staying on, just as though it has a mute button. Changing frequencies, bands, or to mp3 CD, and turning it off and on, has no effect, so it isn't a reception or aerial issue bacause the CDs are also silent. Once I've turned off the ignition, next time I turn it on, it's fine and stays fine for the next few weeks.

When I've been listening to an mp3 CD, and I put it back on FM, it doesn't come back to the station I was last listening to. It's usually a station that I haven't even got preset.

My dealer said he would order a new one a fortnight ago but I haven't chased him because they're only minor niggles. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

I do have two niggles with my radio but not connected with reception. Occasionally, maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks, it will go silent but wilth the display staying on, just as though it has a mute button. Changing frequencies, bands, or to mp3 CD, and turning it off and on, has no effect, so it isn't a reception or aerial issue bacause the CDs are also silent. Once I've turned off the ignition, next time I turn it on, it's fine and stays fine for the next few weeks.

Our one occasionally does that, but there's usually a really loud POP before it does it. It's as though it's somehow overloaded itself and needs to reboot. Hasn't done it for several months though (touch wood)

Can I suggest you goys change your aerials - the base contains a signal booster and they are subject to water ingress that knackers them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem .

Signals drop off alot and it cant find the local verison of the radio station , ie when going down M1 it looses 98.9 and cant find 97.9 where every other radio I have had can ..

Car is only 1.5 years old ..

Although it receives radio stations reasonably well, even on local stations the reception seems to drop to mono for quite a while, say 20 seconds or so, before going back to stereo. I've tried looking in the settings to see if there is anything that would cause this but couldn't find anything.

That's what mine does. The reception is pretty good, but if you go under trees or something it drops to mono. I guess this is to prevent you getting hiss instead. Don't know if it's turnoffable.

That's what mine does. The reception is pretty good, but if you go under trees or something it drops to mono. I guess this is to prevent you getting hiss instead. Don't know if it's turnoffable.

Pretty sure that is turnoffable...

its in the options ( press the music symbol ) under mono ..

Edited by andybond

I would say that it isn't quite as powerful as the Pioneer I had in my old car. But that is only going by the fact that on that one I could listen to Radio 2 in St Malo, while the Dance seems on the limit and sizzles. Not something I could criticise it for.

My does that too.

With regard to the poor reception my wifes 08 Fabia had this problem - dealer changed ariel base but didn't cure - then changed the ariel lead (means taking half the car to bits) that cured it. All done under warranty.

My dealer said he was ordering a replacement radio on warranty several weeks ago. I haven't chased him as it's only happened once since then. So I'll wait until it goes for dervice unless it gives more trouble.

• 5 weeks later...

Just had my radio sorted.

They replaced the old head unit with a brand new one ( whoo ! ) it didnt fix the problem ( boo ! ) so they then changed the base of the ariel and it works perferctly now ( whoo ! ) and they didnt take out the brand new head unit ( whoo ! )

My dealer said he was ordering a replacement radio on warranty several weeks ago. I haven't chased him as it's only happened once since then. So I'll wait until it goes for dervice unless it gives more trouble.

My problem recurred last week so I called the dealer, the replacement head unit had arrived so it was fitted. I can't tell if it fixed the problem because it was so intermittent. Full marks to pauls motors and skoda though.

If you hold down CD for 5 seconds that enables it on my unit
Thanks Andy, unfortunately that does nothing for me. The CD just keeps playing. According to the Dance instruction manual there should be an "Aux" option on the first screen when you select "Menu" when on CD, but I don't have that.

It also says to use successive presses of the CD button to get to Aux and to select different settings but that does nothing for me either.

Looks like yet another visit to the dealer.

Thanks Andy, unfortunately that does nothing for me. The CD just keeps playing. According to the Dance instruction manual there should be an "Aux" option on the first screen when you select "Menu" when on CD, but I don't have that.

It also says to use successive presses of the CD button to get to Aux and to select different settings but that does nothing for me either.

Looks like yet another visit to the dealer.

I have just had my head unit changed , and I am now in the same boat as you.

Another dealer visit for me as well , with numerous faults ..

I have just had my head unit changed , and I am now in the same boat as you.

Another dealer visit for me as well , with numerous faults ..

If you get there before I do, please would you post the result and I'll do the same if I get there first.

Right , car back from the stealers

Apparently some of the newer headunits ( and lots of hte old ones ) are having itself reprogrammed.

No idea why , but it does introduce a bug where you cannot access Aux In via holding down the cd button.

The solution is

Press menu

Top right option. change it to off.

Leave the menu

Enter the menu

Top right option , change it to on

Exit the menu

Press CD immediatly , to get to aux

It will then function as it did on the previous pre flashed system.

IE , just press CD when you want the aux.

Right , car back from the stealers

Apparently some of the newer headunits ( and lots of hte old ones ) are having itself reprogrammed.

No idea why , but it does introduce a bug where you cannot access Aux In via holding down the cd button.

The solution is

Press menu

Top right option. change it to off.

Leave the menu

Enter the menu

Top right option , change it to on

Exit the menu

Press CD immediatly , to get to aux

It will then function as it did on the previous pre flashed system.

IE , just press CD when you want the aux.

Thanks for this Andy, and thanks for the PM. Unfortunately this won't work for me because I don't have a top right option in the menu, although I think, but I can't be sure, it was there just after the head unit was fitted. I've tried the menu both in Radio and CD mode and the option just isn't there. I have even tried holding down the top right button for a few seconds to no avail.

So it looks like a trip to the dealer again.