Rear window wind noise at speed

Hi guys,

Noticed today that the N/S rear door on my car has wind noise at speed.

It has to be quite high speeds admittedly but it does do it. :rolleyes:

After some searching on here it would appear that it's down to the rear quarterlight seal not being quite right but I've had a look and it all appears to be ok. Is there anywhere specific I should be looking?

I've attached some photos so if anyone could point out specifically where I need to focus my attention that would be great. :)

30829.attach

30830.attach

Cheers,

Chris

I had a similar problem due to an imperfect alignement of the rear quarter (funny it showed off only after 1 and half year).

quarter2.jpg

Following sone other owners, often -like in my case- the responsible is the zone around the rubber i evidenced in Yelllow. For a quick test, covering it with electrical tape will be enough.

Ah I see, thanks guys.

I'll be popping into the dealer to mention it on Saturday morning. It'd better be a warranty job.

Also might mention the things I want changing like going to fixed service intervals, anji hijack turning on, single press of the key fob to unlock all doors, turning on the 2nd foglight etc etc. Shame it's CAN BUS as those things would have been easy otherwise. ;)

Ok, had the car in at the dealer today to have this fixed. Took them a couple of goes apparently but they reckon they've sorted it. Not had chance to drive at speeds high enough to induce it yet but fingers crossed it's sorted.

It's interesting reading the bulletin from Skoda stating how to seal it up. Black silicone sealant - it's the future. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the TSB for this fault?

Mine is a 55 plate, and I'm second owner. Do either of these facts discount me from being able to get this done on warranty?

Thanks for any help !

this is a common enough problem with the Octavia, when they say they re-seal they simply place silicon around the edge of the rubber and the door and wipe it off, they managed to leave some silicon on the glass in the Irish dealership i visited. So they shouldn't enter this as a warranty claim as have completed this on every octavia if they compalined about wind noise!

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dig this old, old, old thread up.....

.....but having just bought a 2nd hand 2006 Octavia, on the recent drives I've done, the symptoms above are exactly what I have. Sounds like a window is open slightly on the driver side rear window.

So from previous posts it can be one of two things:

1. Seal on the quarter window is gone - solution is to put a bead of silicone in there (any pointers on exactly where?
  2. Window seating is out slightly - solution is to wind window down, and tap the seating towards the rear quarter

Is there anything else I can do? Could I go to Skoda and ask for them to do it under a known issue with the car?

A tip i found elsewhere on here stated to fully lower rear window, slide an old piece of number plate in the groove and gently tap to reseat the seal. Just to say that this worked for me nicely. Just don't hit it too hard for obvious reasons.  :peek:

• Like 1

A tip i found elsewhere on here stated to fully lower rear window, slide an old piece of number plate in the groove and gently tap to reseat the seal. Just to say that this worked for me nicely. Just don't hit it too hard for obvious reasons.  :peek:

And am I right in thinking it's the seal between the main window and the quarter window?

And am I right in thinking it's the seal between the main window and the quarter window?

Yes, the vertical seal. Once the window is lowered, you have a nice groove to insert number plate or something similar and tap. It didn't take much to sort. 

Thanks all. I did the tapping with a hammer and it made no difference, so going to try the silicone solution.

Where exactly do I need to put this?

Is it the flappy bit that is visible and rests on the inside of the door frame, or, the part where it joins the metal frame? Does that make sense? I'll try and get photo's later.

So i did the tapping and it didn't work. 

What has worked is stuffing the seal around the rear quarter with insulation tape. A good temporary fix, but I have some black silicone to do it properly.

So, am I aiming to seal the rubber to the frame (on the diagram labelled RUBBER), or just where the metal lip looks like it should be tight against the seal (labelled METAL).

I suspect it's a seal of silicone along the metal??

DSC_0450.jpg