Is the 1.4 16v up to pulling the estate ?

Our Lupo is a 1.4 16v 100BHP. It's actually a fantastic engine for a bit of fun- revvy and powerful, but I think with the relatively lardy Fabia Estate body it might feel gutless low down and you'll feel like having to thrash it. There's plenty of power there, but as stated above it needs a bootfull of revs.

I'd disagree that it's a flawed engine- throttle response can be a bit strange at low revs (our version has a cable throttle and electronic body), but the engine itself is fine, at least in a light car with short gearing where the lower torque at low revs isn't an issue. It can be a real giggle flying past someone with a load of revs and the engine just coming on song at 4000- it pulls all the way to the redline.

To be fair, the 1.4 16v engine used in recent Fabias is not the 100bhp version you have, its either 75 or 85bhp, depending on date of manufacture. New ones are currently 85bhp I think, and feel like they have less. These are a lot more sluggish than your 100bhp version and have a different EPC system.

I am currently trying to sort out the very common 'EGR Excessive Flow' DTC on one of these - it seems to be bugbear of these engines and there have been a number of software revisions and changes to try to improve the responsiveness and reduce the number of lambda and EGR-related codes that get thrown up.

IMHO, having driven most of the Skoda engines, the one to go for has to be the 1.9TDI - I know there is the issue of cost and somewhat poor refinement by modern standards, but it has kick in the backside torque, economy almost as good as the 1.4TDI's and is very well proven and reliable into the bargain.

Looking forward to hearing the views on those you test, I bet you dont like the 1.4 16v, I think youll be very surprised at the 1.2, feel not much about the 1.4 dervs and probably love the 1.9... no idea re the 1.6 as Ive never driven a car with that engine.

I agree the 1.9 is the best:thumbup:

I've got a 1.4TDI Polo ( 80bhp) which imho is a brilliant engine, gutsy, revvy, torquey, and a recent jaunt of 500 miles, mostly motorway at between 60/90 mph returned a tad under 70 mpg.

It's not yet done 10k miles, so it's still a bit tight and will get better, and I like the odd grumbly sound it makes.

Oi, don't diss the 1.4 TDI. It's a joyful thing once run in and got much more character than the 1.9 TDI.

It's a cracker. We had a Polo with the 1.4 75BHP. Less economical tan I expected though.

Right I managed to try the 1.4 16v petrol in the hatchback and did experience what I consider to be a very small amount of hesitancy pulling away from a standing start, I imagine the added weight of the estate would make it more noticeable but in hatchback form I thought the engine was free reving and very easy to drive, obivously its not got the torque of a diesel but overall I thought it was OK.

What was less impressive was the body roll, on its own not a problem but the seats didn't help much though I admit that I am being very niggly about what is a superb little car.

However the point is now moot for me as the wife has decided to go for a hyundai i30 hatchback.

Oh no, such a shame... no offence but is your wife over 65 then:rofl:

Erm...Man in Skoda Fabia Estate should not cast first stone...:D

I said she was buying the i30 not the Coupe.:rolleyes:

no we are both under 30.

The 1.4 TDI came in two states of tune:70 and 80 BHP. The latter had only ten more BHP but considerably more torque. In 70 BHP it is not good but I stand by my comments on the 80bhp engine. A forum can only tell you so much: go and drive both and see what you think:thumbup:

Erm...Man in Skoda Fabia Estate should not cast first stone...:D

I said she was buying the i30 not the Coupe.:rolleyes:

no we are both under 30.

:thumbup:My Dad is nearly 80 and has just mentioned he rather likes the i30, I told him hes not old enough for a Hyundai yet:rofl:

Have to say, my 1.2 has just touched 1000 miles now and Im absolutely delighted with its performance, the torque is amazing for such a little engine.

I am very impressed with the fabia estate and I don't think there is a bad engine in the range despite what many say here, its just she prefers the i30.

The badge doesn't bother her or me, if badge was an issue I would not have swapped the BMW for the Superb in March. The stick I've endured at work was horrendous, until they sit in the car and go for a ride. I would caution anybody about applying badge image to the Koreans as well...It is no accident their sales are up by 69% for Hyundai and 32% for Kia whilst virtually every major european manufacturer is facing drops...

Too true, Im no badge snob and I like some of the Kia range, the Ceed and the Soul are pretty nice but the Hyundai i range is just too oriental:(... they kind of all look the same in a naff way.

Where I live, all the oldies drive Korean stuff... taxi drivers have skodas!

All the best with the i30 anyway, Im sure your wife will get bored with it and youll be back looking for a European car with some character:D

I am very impressed with the fabia estate and I don't think there is a bad engine in the range despite what many say here, its just she prefers the i30.

The badge doesn't bother her or me, if badge was an issue I would not have swapped the BMW for the Superb in March. The stick I've endured at work was horrendous, until they sit in the car and go for a ride. I would caution anybody about applying badge image to the Koreans as well...It is no accident their sales are up by 69% for Hyundai and 32% for Kia whilst virtually every major european manufacturer is facing drops...

i30is a good choice. The i30, i20 and Cee'd are doing for Hyundai/Kia what the Fabia mk1 and Octavia did for Skoda a few years ago: establishing a very good reputation for unfashionable brands. It takes a while for the reputation change to change into image change, but we Skoda owners knew we were the ones "in the know",and I think Hyundai owners are entitled to do the same!