Mobile phone contracts...

Disco_Mikey

Is there a 'cooling off' period for signing up for a new phone contract, in a shop?

Basically, not entirely happy with the phone, or the tariff, just wondering if there is any way out of it, or whether we are tied into it...

Any advice welcome :)

I took out an orange contract earlier this month and i signed up in the shop (phones4u)

Their was a 14 day period where i could change my contract to another orange tariff but not cancel the contract totally..

So they told me in the shop

It only applies if you took the contract out online or over the phone which is covered by the distance selling regulations. If you signed up in the shop then they have no legal obligation to provide a "cooling off" period.

Go and and speak to them though. They may be able to sort something out for you.

Phil

I beg to differ Sir, Everything has a cooling off period surly, I will of course stand Corrected.

When I got my T-mob contract it had no cooling off period. Scumbags!!

Not sure about my O2 one though, I can't remmeber! Yet that wasn't as long ago LOL!

14 days usually, check your networks terms online.

HOWEVER, if you have given a PAC code or upgraded with the same network, then this voids the cooling off period.

What phone did you get, contract and network? Did you pick it, or were you persuaded by store staff?

Went in to see about the new Aino for me, (phones4u) never had it in stock so showed me the Satio. Wanted £45 p/m for it and £50 for the phone. Politely told them to shove it, then asked the missus about her phone.

She was £30 p/m on PAYG with O2 for her free texts. Got pretty much the same deal, and a new phone for a fiver less. She is happier about it now, just wasnt too keen as the phone wouldnt let her send texts or make calls, but could receive them. Seems to have sorted itself now

Thanks for all the advice anyway

And for what its worth, went a few doors down to Carphone Warehouse. Got to look at the phones, no pressure, no-one hassling you to get a new contract. Had the Satio in stock, free and on a £30 contract. Result :D

Is there a 'cooling off' period for signing up for a new phone contract, in a shop?

Basically, not entirely happy with the phone, or the tariff, just wondering if there is any way out of it, or whether we are tied into it...

So did you actually get a new contract and manage to cancel it or did they just 'allow' you to move on to another contract?

I had a few issues with phones4u.

Long time ago, an ex got a phone from them, but within 48 hours we were back in the shop with the screen playing up (well known issue now). Because we had refused the £8.99 insurance they refused to replace it and wouldn't accept faulty goods and not fit for purpose.

Ended up getting the operator on the phone, explaining that we would cancel under the 14 day period and then got them to speak to the guy in the shop to get a replacement phone.

Oddly enough the network operator thought they were being ridiculous and wasn't happy about the prospect of losing a customer over an obviously faulty phone.