BT Accelerator

Clunkclick

Any body got experience of fitting BT accelerator ?

Does it improve BB speed ?

I'm a BT customer currently running an six year old BT Voyager 2100 modem from a jack-plug extension running off a BT Master socket (Broadband Filters on extension socket) and still using the original BT Broadband service @ 2MB i.e. not Home hub or Total Broadband and under 5Km from the exchange.

Assuming it had advantages, could one be fitted to my set-up ?

Nick

well yes i have one, its had its name changed from bt iplate to accelerator. i went from 1.5mb line to 2.9mb line. it can give big differences but also verylittle. but they cost £10 and as long as u have the correct master socket it is worth £10 imo. hope this helps

this is what it looks like

photo.jpg.html

also you have to have a master socket that can be separated as you can see from the photo the cream colour is part of my original socket and the white part behind it is the I-Plate now named BT Accelerator. all it is like an adapter which goes into the original master socket then your other part of the socket goes ontop. it has to be the master socket also and not an extenstion.

Ryan

Also depends on the cable feeding your house. My next door neighbour asked me to look into why they couldn't get broadband working ( I'm a comms engineer). They had to have a new cable installed, cause the old cable was knackered.

As Fabia_UK says they can speed up the BB for very little money.

A friend of mine was getting about 1.5 mb, after fitting the accelerator he received 3.5mb.

He has fitted 2 more to other peoples houses with much the same results.

BT's advertising blurb says Accelerator is for their Total Broadband Service.

Unfortunately, I'm signed-up to the original BT Broadband service i. e the one before Home hub, which I understood was limited to 2 MB.

Of course, I'm now wondering whether BT's marketing discrimination is actually supported technically in terms of the type of connection that a specific type of account provides.

My existing account charges £21 for unlimited usuage, not that I download a lot, whilst I could switch contractually to Total Broadband cheapest service and pay £3 less a month, I would be subject to a 10Gig limit.

So my object would be to stay signed-up on the current contract and see if I can boost the technical performance which I know is already laid-in. The Accelerator advertising says that involvement of a BT Engineer is not required and that all you need to do is to fit a new part to the existing NTE socket. So that may also mean that no extra input is required at the exchange for hardware or software !

Also, I know that the Alcatel produced Voyager 2100 modem supports a maximum connection speed of 8MB and that BT's own Total Broadband connection testing website says that I can get anything between 4MB and 6MB as an existing customer - the difference is between entered by home phone number as opposed to post code (Hmmmm ?).

So all I'd have to do is swap a telephone jack socket for a new NTE accelerator master socket to obtain at least 4MB unlimited ? Or is the signal that arrives at NTE slightly different to the original ADSL ?

Nick

The acceletators my friend has fitted have been on none BT broadband providers and to honest £10 isn't much of a gamble.

Im on AOL and my plan is adslmax i think im only meant to get 2mb but i think if i had my cable rewired in the house and from the road to the house as i think its knackered id get alot more. As when it isnt raining i get higher speeds but as i live in the west midlands lol and in the UK where it rains 95% i'm kinda doomed lol But i just looked on ebay there really cheap i brought mine as iplate earlier this year and as long as ur master socket has a detachable bottom plate for the iplate/accelerator to plug it will fit and might give a little extra speed/more stability or a massive increase. go on take the risk whats the worst its cost you £10 and it dont work or very little increase its no major loss is it?

Ryan

Worth a try. But, I am sure simple line testing will reveal only part of the picture.

I suspect that the gross download speed will be controlled by software in-line with the type of account, probably through ports.

However, the Accelerator appears to be just simple output filtering which reduces line noise. Perhaps all it does is allow users to access the full bandwith of their contracted service.

The forums indicate that you can achieve exactly the same, at no cost, by permamently disconnecting or obscuring the ring circuit line connection. So its out with the Tippex .

It'll mean that I loose the ringer on my ancient pulse dial phone in the bedroom but that shouldn't be a problem as there are other bell-tone phones in the house on the same line.

Seems that BT wholesale introduced the Max ADSL service in 2006 which supported up to 8MB download. Some forums say that under this service you can fool BT's RADSL software and re-configure your IP profile to up the download rate by reducing your modem's sync time - presumably this only works if you have a good connection and are near the exchange with few BB users on the cooper wire in the area. That's me ! The wiki article seems to indicate that you can take this up to the limit of a particular service.

Nick

Just unplug cable no. 3 in the master phone plug on the wall, the orange one if you can't make out the numbers. All this does is carry power for the older style telephones to assist them in "ringing".. Made a difference to me, and saved me £10.

Also, if you're with BT then use the BT Speedtester to see what your IP Profile is. At the same time, check what your actual connection speed to your exchange is via your router and then compare this with your IP Profile. They may well be throttling you!

Edited by john-w
Spelling correction

Most likely, yes... sacrifice the ring-ring for a faster speed! :thumbup:

I might need a new ISP too... plus.net seem rather variable at the moment! Ring-ring is rather a nice feature of my house however.... :-)

more likely slider is connected to the exchange via many many miles of copper.....

looking on the bright side at 0.4meg you would never hit your bandwidth allowance :rofl:

I have an bakelite ring-ring phone.... I guess that would stop it from ringing? Fortunately I have two lines into house, both with ADSL on :-)

The accelerator or "i" plate gismo only improves your speed if you have extention sockets on your line and the 3rd. wire is connected at pin 3. You can disconnect wires on pin 3 and forget the accelerator/"i" plate.

If you are using the microfilter then this replaces the bell cct. to enable a 3 wire phone to ring, so you can disconnect the bellwire from pin 3 on each socket.

Edited by Soot1e

This is the on I use.

xte2005.jpg

Costs £10.99 and not only stabilized my broadband speed, it got rid of all my interference on the landline.

ADSL Nation LTD.

This is a different kind off filter and filters noise on all 3 wires that feed the extentions. you cannot plug your router into the extentions with this set up only phones.

This is the best set up if you have to have extention phones, skyboxes etc.

As djswivel wrongly quotes it get rid off noise on the line, no it does not, it gets rid of noise generated by the extention cabling inside the house.

Who are you with for your Broadband?

With BTinternet. Live in a modern (10yrs old) village, 3 mile each way by road to nearest town but I beleive threre are about 6 or 7 miles of wiring to the exchange.

It's a "commuter " village with a laot of pepole who can or want to work from home and with some quite high value homes and theer has been lots of pressure (MP's etc) to try and improve broadband but BT just fob off the cost factor.

Don't think moving provider would do any good and BT are now refusing to even switch new home on to broadband.

Only way to lookat it is that its better than fdial up:confused:

downloading music is a pain, using online photo or document storage is a pain, downloading a film take about 10 hours, iPlayer type stuff is a waste of time and what teh hell is cloud computing:mad::mad:

more likely slider is connected to the exchange via many many miles of copper.....

looking on the bright side at 0.4meg you would never hit your bandwidth allowance :rofl:

yeah, about 6 miles of wire from the exchange. Better than dial up I suppose but pretty pi$$ poor for a modern commuter village with lots of folk that want to work from home. (village is only 10 years old).

dowm load music - painfull but doable.

download film - abou 10-12 hours

iplayer no chance

cloud computting - what the hell is that???

**** oops looks like i'm repeating myself: darn nets that slow I thought I'd lost the last post***

Edited by slider
delayed reaction!!!!