Yeti V BMW X1

CharlieB72

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tester would have chosen the BMW, because it's more sporty and gives "the ultimate driving pleasure" when driving on roads. The Yeti get's praise for it's practicality and it's off-road abillities. The Yeti wins when it comes to how much it costs as well. :)

I think I would have an X1 in the blink of an eye over a Yeti (X1 has a better boot for a start!) but the motor industry seems worried about its residual value and/or running costs.

I know this because on our company leasing site whilst the cars purchase price is similar to a BMW 320D SE its lease cost is coming out nearly DOUBLE. Its a very large company so their experts know what they are doing - and are factoring in a lot of extra costs with the X1.

Infact its wildly too expensive for me to run on my mileage whilst the Yeti is not. The big thing for me is the Yeti's 157 CO2. I get a 15-20% eco incentive discount off my lease cost for below 160 and still get to have 4 wheel drive and not just 2 wheel like Kuga, Tiguan, Volvo etc.

Also improved 2010 Honda CR-V with a cleaner diesel engine should be announced any time now and if as expected they can get it below 160 too (currently 173) then it will be the only other (affordable!) 4 wheel drive below 160 so will be more competitive against Yeti again - for some peoples requirements at least.

I've seen a few X1's on the road and they are hideous. It's really strange, it looks like a 3 series with a the suspension settings higer. I thought it was going to be a innovative small SUV - it isn't. Although the interior reports i'ved read have said it has terrible passenger space. So it's no good for the famly. I think it was aimed squarly at young couples who have a chiwawa instead of kids.

It is also unjustifiably expensive compared to Yeti's, Tiguans, CRVs and Kugas etc. Utterly pointless, as you then have to deal with the stigma of driving a BMW for no real benefit.

I think I would have an X1 in the blink of an eye over a Yeti (X1 has a better boot for a start!) but the motor industry seems worried about its residual value and/or running costs.

I know this because on our company leasing site whilst the cars purchase price is similar to a BMW 320D SE its lease cost is coming out nearly DOUBLE. Its a very large company so their experts know what they are doing - and are factoring in a lot of extra costs with the X1.

Infact its wildly too expensive for me to run on my mileage whilst the Yeti is not. The big thing for me is the Yeti's 157 CO2. I get a 15-20% eco incentive discount off my lease cost for below 160 and still get to have 4 wheel drive and not just 2 wheel like Kuga, Tiguan, Volvo etc.

Also improved 2010 Honda CR-V with a cleaner diesel engine should be announced any time now and if as expected they can get it below 160 too (currently 173) then it will be the only other (affordable!) 4 wheel drive below 160 so will be more competitive against Yeti again - for some peoples requirements at least.

The boot on the X1 is 420 litres, the Yeti is 416 litres. I don't think 4 litres will be a deal breaker for many people. The shape doesn't seem particularly better etiher.

On our company scheme the X1 seems to come out at around £100 a month more than similar 3 series models. It also seems to be around £100 a month more than equivalent 1 series models which are probably a fairer comparison amyway.

There's a lot of band-wagon jumping over the size of the Yeti's boot. It's not small!

Not jumping on any band wagon! I have actually been to a dealers with a load of cases that I have fitted in many cars over the years (with supposedly similar size boots) and the Yeti was a challenge, not impossible very tight.

The X1 has run flat tyres so doesn't need a spare. The Yeti with a spare is considerably smaller in the boot, I would estimate about 380 litres.

Ironically its probably the cost of the runflats and the expected driving style the BMW will encourage that is pushing its lease cost off the scale!

I am getting a loan Yeti later in the month, perhaps I will fill it with 1 litre balloons and take some pictures!

I find the defensiveness about the Yeti on here very endearing, really, but calm down, its just a car!

I also have actually been to a dealers and looked at one :rolleyes:

The boot was more than acceptable for a family car.

Maybe it's the years of working in the theatre where we're up at 3am filling a 40 foot trailer that has given me the skills to pack a car boot efficiently?

So how does that compare to an Octavia hatchback or estate?

Octavia Hatch is 560 and Estate is 580. They may actually be bigger now as I think they don't have spares either now.

However the Octavia is renowned for having a huge boot.

Perosnally I wish the Yeti had a slightly larger boot but I think it will be big enough for my needs. Especially with the combination of sliding and removable rear seats.

I also have actually been to a dealers and looked at one :rolleyes:

The boot was more than acceptable for a family car.

Maybe it's the years of working in the theatre where we're up at 3am filling a 40 foot trailer that has given me the skills to pack a car boot efficiently?

Look, I wasn't looking for an argument or a p~ssing contest about who can pack a boot!

You made the unfounded accusation that I was jumping on some critical bandwagon which was simply not true.

I think the point is for this type of vehicle its tighter than most would expect, it has to be - with decent rear legroom but an overall length of 4.2 metres, when virtually every other SUV is 4.4+

Sorry, it just seems that every person comments on the size of the boot, when it's not actually that small.

I agree it could be bigger, but if I wanted to buy one it wouldn't put me off as the interior space of the car is very good compared to the exterior.

I'd still have one over an X1. Even if the boot was smaller than a VW Lupo :rofl:

Sorry, it just seems that every person comments on the size of the boot, when it's not actually that small.

I agree it could be bigger, but if I wanted to buy one it wouldn't put me off as the interior space of the car is very good compared to the exterior.

I'd still have one over an X1. Even if the boot was smaller than a VW Lupo :rofl:

Cool.

I spend most my days parked in some undersized car park somewhere or other and as you say the length is going to make slotting in that last space (noone else was brave enough to go for) a breeze. My Honda Accord sometimes feels longer than the QE II even though relatively compact for its class.

Another reason for wanting a high clearance 4x4 is sometimes I have to make do with a bit of grass/mud or footpath. The front spoiler under the Honda hates this!

I once had an Audi Q7 as a courtesy car, and I can appreciate the lofty driving position, but my god it was difficult to park!

Car sizes keep going up, but car parking spaces are largely the same size.

Utterly pointless, as you then have to deal with the stigma of driving a BMW for no real benefit.

Good point, well put :thumbup:

I had a good look at the X1 last week and thought it was slightly more compact than I had imagined it would be. A good size overall. The interior was similar to the 1 series and although the tactile mature of the buttons is typical BMW smooth (better than the A4 I tested a couple of days later) the plastics in certain places are a little lower rent than a car, which when fully specced, would cost £38K+! Admittedly the X1-23D would leave a Yeti for dead as a drivers car, but with Yetis already doing discount and the X1 still commanding full price, you could have 2 Yetis with a nice spec for the same money. I chose to wait and see if the X1 comes down in price before I look at it seriously.

As for cheap and small 4x4s, my Sedici takes some beating. Even has a central transmission lock, so grip is superb. It isn’t much bigger than a Fiesta either.

. . . the plastics in certain places are a little lower rent than a car, which when fully specced, would cost £38K+! .

That's the problem with BMW's (and Audi's), by the time you've specced them up, your into a completely different segment and the residuals start to look ropey and hence the pcp / contract hire deals get expensive.

When a 170CR Yeti Elegance can be had for about £20K, an X1 xdrive 20d starts to look VERY expensive when it gets to the wrong side of £30K to be specced to a similar level.

Having found the ride on the 3-series completely unacceptable - to the extend I was being forced to slow down on some of the local B-roads - the press comments on the X1 suggest that BMW have still lost the plot when it comes to ride/handling balance. And the looks and crazy pricing aren't exactly attractive. However I'm sure they will find plenty of buyers.

I really don't know what to make of the ride thing - the E46 3-series I had was fine, and likewise the reports I've seen on the Alpina variants of the current range.

Mark

Interesting! We could well be in the market for a 170 CR Yeti in 2011. Having to have the top spec model if you want this engine means a list of £22K. A comparible X1 is a couple of grand more (though yes the spec is less). Having seen an X1 I did like it. We have also seen the Volvo XC60 Drive-e. Yes this is only 2wd, but it is more powerful than the Yeti, but giving similar mpg, again for a couple of grand more.

One of my top priorities is towing a caravan. The Yeti is the lightest by quite a bit so loses a mark there. It is the least powerful (the Volvo in particular putting it in the shade). The Yeti also didn't set the heather on fire at the towcar of the year awards, while the Volvo did.

If I were going to buy a new car tomorrow I think I would go for the XC60, but I love my Skodas so the Yeti will always pull me towards it. Least likely to buy an X1 .... but never say never.

If Skoda launch a 170CR with a lesser spec and hence a lower price tag then the other two cars would be in a different price league for me at least so the choice to go for the Yeti would be far easier.

I read someone's comment elsewhere that the X1 looked like it had hit a wall after being hit from behind. Not seen one in the flesh but the pictures don't make look as as good as the mighty Yeti... :thumbup:

Ooops! Sorry, didn't mean to praise the Yeti over an X1 on a Yeti appreciation society forum... ;)

That's the problem with BMW's (and Audi's), by the time you've specced them up, your into a completely different segment and the residuals start to look ropey and hence the pcp / contract hire deals get expensive.

When a 170CR Yeti Elegance can be had for about £20K, an X1 xdrive 20d starts to look VERY expensive when it gets to the wrong side of £30K to be specced to a similar level.

I look at the X1 as the high performance alternative to the Yeti, so it should naturally command a higher price. Having a high specced 123D already and having sold cars, I agree that PCPs can be expensive on some exec models (even the humble 1 series), but the X1 as a new model has reasonable GMFV and as such isn’t too bad for PCP.

Against the Yeti is the dealers are already throwing money out the window to get sales and as such will only knock the future value of the Yeti. BMW are trying to rein this in and as some will have noticed, ‘Drivethedeal’ has already found that nobody at a BMW franchise will do to do the deal with them at the moment.

I like the Yeti, but wanted something a bit more sporty to driveand the X1-23D might be that car, but I will wait till next year and see if I can get 12% off. Failing that I am still looking at the A4 3.0TDi, but as you mention the residuals are poor and this pushes the PCP up. Plus as it’s a reps type of car, Audi don’t seem interested in doing us private purchases any sort of deal/incentive on one.

I also have to add neither the Yeti nor the X1 are quite as pretty as the Tiguan imho

Edited by Lady Elanore

Having found the ride on the 3-series completely unacceptable - to the extend I was being forced to slow down on some of the local B-roads - the press comments on the X1 suggest that BMW have still lost the plot when it comes to ride/handling balance. And the looks and crazy pricing aren't exactly attractive. However I'm sure they will find plenty of buyers.

I really don't know what to make of the ride thing - the E46 3-series I had was fine, and likewise the reports I've seen on the Alpina variants of the current range.

Mark

The last 3 series I drove with runflats had a very firm ride, but I felt it wasn’t quite as hard as the 1 series. Ideally I wanted a 330D SE with standard suspension and reasonable wheels/tyres as I felt this would be more than fine for handling and pretty comfortable too, sadly the RWD would then mean I have to have my little 4x4 as well for the winter L Also the A4 3.0TDi S-Line I drove last week was appalling on S-Line suspension and 19” wheels. The weird steering didn’t help, but I gather the Drive Select tames all this. Shame you have to fork out nearly £1500 to fix this ‘fault’. The car does look good on it though :D

I look at the X1 as the high performance alternative to the Yeti . . .

I doubt Skoda consider the X1 to be a rival at all.

Against the Yeti is the dealers are already throwing money out the window to get sales and as such will only knock the future value of the Yeti. BMW are trying to rein this in and as some will have noticed, ‘Drivethedeal’ has already found that nobody at a BMW franchise will do to do the deal with them at the moment.

But Skodas sales target of only 3000 UK sales seems pretty low in my opinion for a car that's attracted quite a lot of interest. I doubt residuals will be hit too hard and if anything, come trade in time may well be noticeably ahead of the GMFV.

BMW's decision not to do deals on cars has hit sales harder than some of their competitors.

I also have to add neither the Yeti nor the X1 are quite as pretty as the Tiguan imho

I wouldn't call the Tiguan pretty, but would concede that it's front stance, although bland, does not divide opinion as much as the Yeti's. I think from the doors backwards, the Yeti has a much neater and more purposeful appearance. But it's all in the eye of the beholder of course!

I don't think Skoda predicted the interest in the Yeti that has subsequently arisen. The Yeti is competing against a range of SUVs that are, generally, more expensive. (Nissan X-Trail for example)

My choice ,for example, was influenced by the simple fact that the Yen is strong against the Pound so Japanese imports are not competitive.

I've read a lot of hype on this Forum about Horse Power and Boot size. If the design does not fit your needs then don't buy. Its not as if there aren't more powerful cars and bigger boots available, my son's Vauxhall has a massive boot amd my daughter's EOS is a bit nippier. Trawl the market - but do stop complaining.

Considering the X1 is much larger than the Yeti, I'd say the comparison is not fair.

They should compare the X1 to an Q5,Tiguan. Rav4,X-Trail, Freelander etc.

In any case, like some others on here I think the X1 styling is hideoius.. :thumbdwn: much prefer the Yeti. :thumbup::thumbup: