Route: Any Permitted Full £456.00

Anytime Return

Route: London Full £554.00

Anytime First Return

Route: London Full £749.00

Anytime First Return

Route: Any Permitted Full £1,002.00

I can do all these for Free.......:)

A small tip, dont book the trip in one long distance ticket. If you book the ticket for each leg of the trip, eg. Scotland to London, then London to Devon and buy your own tube ticket you can save a lot of money on the through fare.

A small tip, dont book the trip in one long distance ticket. If you book the ticket for each leg of the trip, eg. Scotland to London, then London to Devon and buy your own tube ticket you can save a lot of money on the through fare.

Not always the case, some underground tickets integrated into a rail ticket works out that the underground is free. you can get tickets to London BR Stations, ie:- London Bridge, that is the same fare as going only as far as Kings X.....The " + " where the route is on the ticket means that the ticket can be used for cross London transfer at no extra cost.

I do agree that sometimes it's cheaper to buy tickets in stages if you are making a long journey and using several train operators as they can have promotions. Booking well in advanced can also save you boat loads but there will be restrictions.

British public transport - the way ahead! :D

See if you can break up the tickets into 60 mile chunks, over 60 miles whacks the price up, and presumably so does going over 100, 150, etc.

I used to do a 65 mile journey and save half by getting 2 tickets instead of one.

All done to get attention.....that ticket from Newquay to Kyle has never ever been purchased before, no one has ever taken that trip on a train. Not as if its a route that is popular is it? So just done for publicity to prove a point. Im sure some one equally clever could find a route that was cheap as chips if they really tried.

And of course, its all the governments fault aint it? Fecking media.

See when the Tories get in (god help us), mark my words in 10 years times (if they are still in that is) it will be no better....

Steve

Another oddity of the crazy system:

Penzance is 30 miles south of Newquay yet the fare to Kyle of Lochalsh is £126 cheaper than from nearby and further north Newquay :eek:

That's not so odd if you have to travel from Newquay to Penzance to access the Inter-city trains.

But the £1002 route is the one provided online by Transport Direct! It doesn't feature the option of saving £120+ by going via Penzance. :rotz:

And in both cases you are linking to the same cross country train 30 miles after departure!

Edited by westerdam2

I can do all these for Free.......:)

Sadly I joined after protected status, so I get no discounts at all :thumbdwn:

That's why I drive pretty much everywhere ...

Had to buy a single train ticket the other week,

£9.70 for 23 miles

I've always argued that rail-fares should be less than the fuel cost of the equivalent car journey. As motorists will always write off all of the other fixed costs of car ownership & compare just the marginal cost of a given journey.

Didn't TG prove that it's possible to drive from A to B much much cheaper than to use the curled up sandwich, don't you dare use your phone in the quiet carriage train route ? In the car, you can sit on your own or with someone you actually like, listen to what you want to listen to and chastise the driver in front without bothering any other passengers. I know which I'd prefer.

That is utterly disgusting. Averaging 50mpg you could drive that, there and back for less than £150.

leaving you £852 to buy a car and breakdown cover (£100 will get you roadside, national recovery and homestart with the AA, cos i took it out before i went to Wales), and get your flexibility of going when you want not when the train wants, my felicia was £395, i drove it from Cornwall to north Wales and back, which by train that would be almost £750 in total for me and my fiancee at half term for flexible 7 day return, and if you count the cost of buying the car, the fuel, and my new AA membership still cost less than the train would for 2 of us. plus i didnt have to worry bout carting luggage on and off the train, and i got to pick which motorway service station i stopped for lunch, rather than either packed lunch from home, or FGW buffet car choice- Yuck!!!!

I've always argued that rail-fares should be less than the fuel cost of the equivalent car journey. As motorists will always write off all of the other fixed costs of car ownership & compare just the marginal cost of a given journey.

Yes, because after you've bought the car the fixed costs are exactly that, fixed, at least until you start doing hugely above average mileages. The cost accounting point that you write down fixed costs per year against years, rather than against individual trip mileage, is entirely correct in the main.