electrical issues ? :(

Hi guys got a real problem with my car

A few weeks agio i bought a new single stereo with a screen; all fit in ok

last night i was parked up for about 30 mins and when i tried to start the car i just got a 'click' when i tried to start..

I thought it was a battery issue as my headlights went off as i tired to start the car.

So i went home and got a set opf jump leads and a lift back -

However i started the car perfectly and it worked fine with out the need to jump start it;

The next morning the car is dead as a doornail - just clicking at ignition.. at one point i got a noise as if it was turning over but nothing.. so ivedisconnected the stereo just in case, but still nothing

Since then i cant get nothing- and was wondering if anyone has encountered the same?

Ive had an earthing issue before when my gearbox earth strap wasnt secured properly and the symptoms seemed the same, but having connecting the earth to the engine - im still getting the same fault -

Im not getting the battery fault on the dash either.

Thanks for any help..

Ade

Hi guys got a real problem with my car

A few weeks agio i bought a new single stereo with a screen; all fit in ok

last night i was parked up for about 30 mins and when i tried to start the car i just got a 'click' when i tried to start..

I thought it was a battery issue as my headlights went off as i tired to start the car.

So i went home and got a set opf jump leads and a lift back -

However i started the car perfectly and it worked fine with out the need to jump start it;

The next morning the car is dead as a doornail - just clicking at ignition.. at one point i got a noise as if it was turning over but nothing.. so ivedisconnected the stereo just in case, but still nothing

Since then i cant get nothing- and was wondering if anyone has encountered the same?

Ive had an earthing issue before when my gearbox earth strap wasnt secured properly and the symptoms seemed the same, but having connecting the earth to the engine - im still getting the same fault -

Im not getting the battery fault on the dash either.

Thanks for any help..

Ade

Hi Ade

First can I ask you to say where abouts you are and model and year of your car, it helps for some questions !

But in this case it does sound like a earth fault, but you need to check out the battery and is it charging, and at what voltage?

Radiotwo

ive checked the leads n a bloke ive taken it to (who has a little garage/unit) has had it connected to a battery charger. But we are still stumped

thanks forthe suggestion though, he is going to try another battery tomorrow

sorry radiotwo

im in a fabia vrs 1.9 53 plate located in burnley

thanks again

ive checked the leads n a bloke ive taken it to (who has a little garage/unit) has had it connected to a battery charger. But we are still stumped

thanks forthe suggestion though, he is going to try another battery tomorrow

sorry radiotwo

im in a fabia vrs 1.9 53 plate located in burnley

thanks again

Keep us informed Ade

And put your info in your profile !

Radiotwo

Headlights are auto dimmed when key turned to start, so may not be linked. Culprits likely to be.

1: Poor battery connection

2: Intermittent battery cell

3: Poor connection on starter motor solenoid (wire sometimes snaps off completely)

5: Starter motor jamming.

just a quick update on this:

the guyin the garage changed the starter motor this morning and got no joy - he chanegd the battery and thye car started up twice and then went back to the clicking again -

hes going to try the alternator this afternoon

just a quick update on this:

the guyin the garage changed the starter motor this morning and got no joy - he chanegd the battery and thye car started up twice and then went back to the clicking again -

hes going to try the alternator this afternoon

its obviously not a charging issue, unless the alternator is discharging the battery really quickly, so why is he changing the alternator :confused:

there has got to be a wiring problem somewhere in the starter circuit

A click when moving the key to the 'start' position means the ignition switch is working. Put a voltmeter on the starter to see if anything is getting through. Also switch on the headlights. If they dim when you turn the key then the starter is jamming.

the next problem is that the dashboard isnt showing the battery light on the dashboard

anyone any ideas with that?

thanks for all the help guys its much appreciated

ade

Alternator sense wire broken at gearbox connector. This results in no battery charge, and hence all of your problems.

I think you have two problems.

If the car won't start (just clicks) but later on does start (without charging the battery in between) then I think you have a high resistance (poor connection) somewhere in the starter circuit. The fact that the headlights go out when you turn the key tends to support this (the starter draws a large current, which causes a large voltage drop if there is any significant resistance in the circuit). I would look at the main earth and positive leads from the battery - or indeed it could be some sort of internal fault with the battery.

The alternator warning lamp failing to come on is due to the battery sense wire not being connected (or broken). This feeds an excitation current to the alternator's rotor, so the alternator won't work correctly if this feed is missing. It could be the bulb that's blown, but more likely a bad/missing connection or broken wire. Its a thin wire (one of a pair IIRC) and can break where it meets a two-pin connecter mounted in a bracket on the gearbox (just behind the middle of the radiator.

ok guys, for any possible helpfor others in the future;

car is sorted, required new starter motor and wire mentioned above was broken -

The guy in the garage fitted new starter motor and fixed the lead (and a new battery) for 150 quid which i thought was reasonable. Hes charged me trade for the parts i think

would like to thank the guys above for a fantastic job diagnosing a fault that even the guy at the garage had no idea about.

Superb knowledge really is;

could someone point me in the directionto donate to this site please? as my repair may had cost me even more without your help :)

Thanks again

Ade